So I want an GS3 but then I realized that an iPhone will have a better resale value in 2 years when I upgrade again. I got an iPhone 4 two years ago and right now I'm about to sell it for $300 (the price of a new one unlocked is $500). Because of this, I know Apple products will have a great resale value when I am out of contract. It actually makes me some money over two years if I buy the phone subsidized (which I do).

The GS3 is a great phone and I actually like it more since its a change from iOS but since its resale will be like $50 - $100 in two years, iPhone seems like a no brainer. If you were in my shoes, would you still buy the an alternate phone you like or buy the iPhone. In my point of view, they are the same functionality.

PS. I know this question will come up, but I will be reselling overseas where iPhones are not available subsidized and prices are heavily inflated (iphone 5 unlocked is $1200). I will be on vacation so I'm not going out of my way to do this.
    10-31-2012 09:54 PM
    If you are debating which one to get via resale value then the iphone is probably your choice. The s3 still is overall a better phone xP

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    10-31-2012 10:00 PM
    Like rricky said,who cares about resale value.? Your getting it to use Now not later on. If you care about resale value get the iPhone,if you want a good phone,go with the s3.

Sent from my awesome HTC one x(:
    LoveMyPhone and funkylogik like this.
    10-31-2012 10:02 PM
    If resale value has a bearing on your choice then your mind is made up.

GS3 is the better unit.
    iPhone has a social following.

There ya go.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-31-2012 10:03 PM
    Was wondering when the next iphone thread would pop up

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
    -S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$
    10-31-2012 10:26 PM
    Well I mean that's a given that the iPhone would hold its value longer. They come out with a new phone once a year. Android flagship phones come out all the time. Ie s3 now note 2. But they are by far better then the iPhone so its Ur decision... I get rid of all my phones after a year or before the next big thing comes out that way even my android phones hold value..

Sent from my galaxy nexus running jelly bean!
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-31-2012 10:31 PM
    Resell value shouldn't be a factor when buying a smartphone. Get what suits your needs. Besides, this phone is uber popular. It would be ridiculous to assume you couldn't resell it down the line.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    funkylogik likes this.
    10-31-2012 11:16 PM
    i hate uber popular but must admit the s3's status makes the range of accessories mind blowing

also, because theres so many around, i think the s3 is gona be a cult cheap second-hand phone with a strong developer community so theres plenty life in this old dog+bone

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    LoveMyPhone and quicksilver53 like this.
    11-01-2012 12:14 AM
    i hate uber popular but must admit the s3's status makes the range of accessories mind blowing

also, because theres so many around, i think the s3 is gona be a cult cheap second-hand phone with a strong developer community so theres plenty life in this old dog+bone

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    You don't have to hate it or love it, but Samsung hit the 10 million mark in July, I'd imagine that number has increased quite a bit over the last 3 months.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!
    funkylogik likes this.
    11-01-2012 01:19 PM
    It's a phone not an investment... you'll sell one for $100 and the other for $165... Doe it change much?
    11-01-2012 01:40 PM
    Call me crazy but I never buy a phone based on resale value. I tend to look at how good the device is, and what I need it to do for me. If I made all my decisions based on two years down the road I wouldn't get anywhere in life. If you desperately need that 100 extra bucks in 2 years, start a dedicated savings now and put 5 dollars a month into it. That's 2.50 per paycheck and you'll have $120.00. That's 20 EXTRA bucks at that time to stop for dinner.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    11-01-2012 01:54 PM
    Besides, from what I could tell, and the feeling & suspicion I got when I sold my iPhone last month, after watching Gazelle, NextWorth, eBay & CraigsList, to name a few sites . . . was that a large percentage of iPhone sales—were probably being resold—and then sent to various third world countries and the Middle East !

So you have to ask yourself. . . Do you really want to have to wonder, after you get a better 'resale' price. . . if your 'resold' iPhone isn't being used to set off I.E.D.'s !?!

Well? Do ya?
    evq.003 likes this.
    11-01-2012 02:21 PM
    i honestly wouldnt sell my phone unless i was in severe dire straits.
    recently some of our stuff on credit has had to be returned (boring story) but we kept our phones
    if i was planning to sell my s3, the bezel wouldnt be all dented lol. this phone is mine till it dies
    its a souped up ford focus, not a BMW

11-02-2012 03:04 AM