About to give up and go back to iPhone

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
duno if anyones mentioned it but theres different modes for when GSam resets itself so the readings could have been an average mate :)

p.s, theres a few threads about "sd" already ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

tomtomsf

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I'm glad you were able to pinpoint the battery drain to the SD card. I would sure like to hear why the SD card and Media - download combination were draining the battery so much.

Tom G.

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I was going to start a new thread but people just kept on here so..... OK, I am now positive it has something to do with the SD card. I format it outside, I format it in the phone, I have it full I have it empty. Regardless, when I put it in, Media -- Download starts eating away at my battery. I take it out, and it stops. Battery use returns to minimal when the phone is in sleep mode. It's a Micro Center Micro SD card 32GB class 10 says C10 32GB Micro SD HC It works fine except for the battery drainage.

Will a factory reset help? I don't see how when the phone works fine when the SD card is out.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just FYI . . . .this card has been working great for us, since purchasing a couple of them, three weeks back; [ SanDisk Ultra SDHC - 32GB - Class 10 ].

Just popped 'em in and they've been working great. No formatting needed.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
try that if u cant borrow a friends.
how much of a hasstle would it be for you to reset? (have you invested a lot of time getting the phone set up perfectly?)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
rteichman, word of advice, always try to stick with Sandisk cards. They are much more reliable than other lower end brand name cards.

I would try another SD card and see if you get the same media-download drain. If you don't, it could be possible you have a faulty card. If you get the same thing, you most likely have some corrupt files in the phone/OS so a reset would be due!

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Lol. I've actually COME to this forum looking for tips and tricks and advice. My story is opposite of the OP, after seeing the last two keynote speeches from Apple I became disgusted. Sure their stuff looks all cool and shiny wrapped in thin aluminum but when it's wrapping off the shelf hardware that in some cases is over a year old and Apple still feels compelled to charge quadruple what it's worth I'm done.

Don't get me wrong I think what they did for the MP3 and smartphone market was huge, but they needed to keep pace instead of trying to bully others. Granted I do like some of what iOS has to offer, it works, it's simple, some other great features, etc. But in the end I made the choice to dump my iPhone 4s which was only a month old and now I wait for my Galaxy S3 to show up hopefully on Monday. And I'm sure I'll be back with questions :)

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Lol. I've actually COME to this forum looking for tips and tricks and advice. My story is opposite of the OP, after seeing the last two keynote speeches from Apple I became disgusted. Sure their stuff looks all cool and shiny wrapped in thin aluminum but when it's wrapping off the shelf hardware that in some cases is over a year old and Apple still feels compelled to charge quadruple what it's worth I'm done.

Don't get me wrong I think what they did for the MP3 and smartphone market was huge, but they needed to keep pace instead of trying to bully others. Granted I do like some of what iOS has to offer, it works, it's simple, some other great features, etc. But in the end I made the choice to dump my iPhone 4s which was only a month old and now I wait for my Galaxy S3 to show up hopefully on Monday. And I'm sure I'll be back with questions :)

I would love to hear what you think after you play with it.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

CaneToad

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
You do know its standard practice on every map known to man maps that the top of the map is North? so that makes East to the right South to bottom and West to the left

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You do know its standard practice on every map known to man maps that the top of the map is North? so that makes East to the right South to bottom and West to the left

Hmmmm, actually no. There are some map apps on Android that the default is not "North up", you have to select it. Default is the direction you are moving is up.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Why anyone would prefer something that's behind the times, limiting in what you can do and will NEVER be cutting edge when they could have something that's cutting edge, works well right out the box, simple to use, and can do so much more is beyond me

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) available - the galaxy S III!

ballua

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
U'd better off and go get an iphone. It's not because Android phones are no good but because u are not mature enough to stay in good shape with something matured.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It's called root and rom.

:) I blame touchwiz for most of the drawbacks that I had with my gs3.
As soon as I started tinkering with it I fell more and more in love. So much that I look at iphones with disdain, I sold my ipad and bought a galaxy note tab and put a rom in it too.

And because of all that I'm also buying a nexus 4 the day it launches

I'm in love with android and will never let it go.

Just my two cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
rteichman, word of advice, always try to stick with Sandisk cards. They are much more reliable than other lower end brand name cards.

Returned the MicroCenter brand card, bought a Sandisk 32GB card Ultra HS (supposedly above class 10). Inserted into my phone, formatted, and after 3 hours...... NO Media -- Download, battery life stays the same YAY!!! Loading up the card with music now. Hope it keeps working. :)

Update: I copied my music onto the card, installed it and still no Media -- Download. IT WORKS!!! Thanks again.

Last edited:

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
All problems seem to have been solved. Thanks to those of you that helped with good advice.

As far as those hatters go... "...not mature enough..", "...iSheep...", etc. I probably was designing operating systems before you were born. I'm an engineer with several patents in my name, and I have been coding, designing and implementing software along with managing development for the past 35+ years. I bought the T-Mobile G-1 when it came out, so I could play around developing on it. I know a thing or two both about computers, phones, and Android. I'll admit, I was also an Apple fanboy. Until recently Apple devices were exceptionally well designed, and more reliable than anything else. I was willing to pay extra for that reliability. That balance has shifted which is why I decided to switch to Android. However, my phone is a critical part of my life. If it can not do certain tasks flawlessly I can not use it. Hence the initial post about considering a return.