How is the HDMI adapter on this phone?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Does the hdmi adapter work as far as mirroring the phone's display to a TV? or...

thats what mine does, homescreen, browser etc but when i watch youtube app, it shows fullscreen vid on tv even if phone is in landscpe :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Be aware that on some TVs the image does not fully format to the screen. I've had it where the image overscans top and bottom (image goes off the screen) but underscans on the sides (image has black bars on the sides.)

The only time I use the mhl adaptor is when in hotels on business travel, so I have had the chance to work it on a number of different TV brands.

-Suntan

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Be aware that on some TVs the image does not fully format to the screen. I've had it where the image overscans top and bottom (image goes off the screen) but underscans on the sides (image has black bars on the sides.)

The only time I use the mhl adaptor is when in hotels on business travel, so I have had the chance to work it on a number of different TV brands.

-Suntan

I wonder if some of those tv's had the picture zoomed in or stretched. Even so, good to know.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
surely a 16:9 tv will always be ok?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, I hate that you have to have an adapter to use HDMI out its so lame. Why couldn't they just have a seperate port like on the og evo.

That way you can dock charge it and then still use HDMI out, so you're phone won't power off when you're watching a movie or something.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, at least the official dock should have had the pins to do HDMI out, sort of killing two birds with one stone idea. Anyone else know if it mirrors the display onto the TV?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah my xpera had its own micro hdmi socket.
ive yet to hear a good reason why sammy changed the pins to make it non universal. its like apple!

global s3, official JB :beer:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
surely a 16:9 tv will always be ok?

Nope.

I have a 16:9 Panasonic in my bedroom that fills the screen (but does have some overscan all around the edge.) However, at one hotel I stayed at a couple weeks back, the 16:9 flat screen they had did not properly format. The picture is a little squished/stretched as a result. Playing with the various aspect ratio stretch modes on the TV did not solve the problem.

Personally, the Motorola implementation of mHDMI is much better imo. Not only can a person just plug a mHDMI cable straight in and be good to go (without even needing to dink with a power connection) but they have an overscan adjustment on the phones that allows the viewer to adjust for overscan and get a proper picture on screen. MHL is the one true weakness of the GSIII imo.

-Suntan

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
id say its less a weakness and more of a kick in the stones for people loyal to samsung (not me) who have all the accessories from their s2 or whatever. im yet to hear a tecnical reason for changing the wiring for mhl???
yeah dedicated micro hdmi is much better.
we'r moving to my pad tonight which has a smaller but better definition 16:9 screen so il report how it goes with that.

*tangent* are there any apps to adjust size output and tweak things to work on any tv?

Unbranded Global s3, Official JB, Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Cool, report back with how that TV works for you! :)

Looks beautiful on Technica 32" (technica is a rebranded tv made from samsung parts for a huge UK supermarket chain i think)
Quality is much better than on fiances bigger but lower density tv. No over/underhang.

Id recommend to everyone to get samsung branded mhl adaptor for few quid extra. Although i got a working relacement for my aftermarket one... the build quaility isnt great :thumbup:

Unbranded Official TW s3.Paisley,Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Id guess 1080 if u have good tv mate.....

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney