Got my Touchstone charging back for my S3 today

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
It was one of the pre-made backs on ebay for about $28. Its a tight fit, but it locks right in place and WORKS! Charging rate is around 250 mA, which is a bit low, so it will take longer to charge than directly plugged in, but I charge overnight, so that's ok. Temperature is no higher than on a direct charge. The magnetic hold keeping it in place on the touchstone is good. When placing it on the touchstone, the S3 responds it is in range of a charger and lets you know its charging.

All in all, looks good.

beanctr10

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a case for your G3? If so will it charge with the case on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
My case is a Seidio, fairly thick, and no, it doesn't charge through it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352459757061.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352459757061.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 41
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352459777206.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352459777206.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 40
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352459790090.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352459790090.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 40

beanctr10

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I would hate to have to take my case off everyday to charge my phone. Think I will hold off for now my touchpad is still kicking and running CM9.

russraff32

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ordered mine last week - should be waiting for me when I get home today.

I plan on trying out a few "options" for getting charging to work through a variety of cases - will kepp y'all posted...

russ

cjf243

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the same charging back and so far works well with my palm touchstone. Holding by the magnets is not as strong as with my palm pre, but it does stay on the touchstone, without case. I have the case, link below, and it will charge through this case. However, the magnets barely hold the S3 and you have to be particular when placing the S3 on the touchstone, but it still charges.

Login : DIZTRONIC.COM, - TPU Cases for Mobile Phones

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for mine to get here. Got my warranty Otterbox in the mail yesterday, If I can get it to charge through the rubber outer case, I'm going to use a hole saw on the inner and see if I can't get it to work.

russraff32

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for mine to get here. Got my warranty Otterbox in the mail yesterday, If I can get it to charge through the rubber outer case, I'm going to use a hole saw on the inner and see if I can't get it to work.

I was thinking of something similar.. but I'm going to try it on some of the cheaper cases first! Otter is great at replacing their cases, but methinks a 2" hole in the back might cause them a problem!

Let us know how it goes

russ

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't do it if I didn't have a second one, plus the fact it has the outer rubber shell. It doesn't feel a whole lot thicker than the Pre3 back which is almost the same material. I think it will still offer adequate protection even with the hole...the 4 corners are covered, the screen, and most of the back. It shouldn't be too much longer. I ordered mine on 30 October, the same day 2 others did, one from Florida, and one from Tennesee, and they both got theirs yesterday. I was pretty surprised they have theirs already tbh....getting shipped from Hong Kong.

russraff32

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi All

A while back I said I would be trying this out... and I did... several times!

So, to start with, I bought a couple of "pre-fab'ed) (how's that for a pun) SG3 backs with the Palm charging coils & contacts in place. I got 1 on eBay, and one on Amazon. About $28 each. They were different in manufacture & layout - on one, the coil & metal disks were centered on the back (for landscape use, mostly), and on the other the placement was biased toward the lower half (so the GS3 could sit in Portrait mode without bottoming out against the tabletop/car console / whatever the Touchstone is on.

I tried this set-up au-naturel, and it seemed to work quite well - although the GS3 did not "stick" to the touchstone very well.

Not unexpectedly, when I tried with the OB case on (just the hard shell), it did not stick at all, and the wireless charging announcement would repeat itself endlessly.

So I ordered a couple of thinner cases (Ringke and XGear). Charging was OK, but still not "sticking" at all.

So I ordered some of the magnets on the link below:
K&J Magnetics - Products

And "Hey Presto" - a charging, sticking SG3 on my Touchstone. The Xgear case would work the best if it did not have the Aluminum backplate. I took it off, and it works, but there is a lot of adhesive gunge to remove.

The Rearth Ringke case works fine.

For those interested, I have also fitted the phone with the (discontinued?) Spigen Glas tempered glass scren protector. Fits & works like a gem. While I was using the OB defender, I was not aware just how much responsiveness I was losing! The Spigen Glas is great in that respect (though there is a little "adhesion bubble" (? don't know what else to call it!) right in the center of the screen.

All-in-all, I am thrilled with my Touchstone-enabled, glass-screen-protected GS3!

Cheers

russ

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2