Swype Beta keyboard ? on Galaxy S3 ? opinions?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So far, I'm diggin' it. :cool:

After uninstalling TouchPal v5, I've been mostly pleased with Swype Beta v1.3. It's predictive/anticipated & contextual text? is all pretty good, imo.
The Swype Beta 'Preferences' & 'Personalization' & 'Language Options' choices are decent; and it's also nice to have no less than (11) keyboard themes to choose from!
Haven't tried it's 'Swype Connect' or 'Dragon Go!' features as yet, but it's a far cry better than TouchPal, and way-way better than the stock Samsung T9 keyboard.

Just curious what others who are using Swype Beta v1.3? think of it.

Oh, and the 'Gestures' are fairly extensive as well. :cool:

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I tried Touchpal for a bit but the prediction wasn't as good as I had first hoped.

Switched back to Swype v3,26. I tend to switch back and forth between Swype and Swiftkey, so I am eagerly awaiting the Swiftkey Swype-like tracing thing that's coming.

Maybe I should try out Swype Beta 1.3. Them and their confusing version numbers :mad:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The swyping (I guess that's not an actual word lol ) on the Swype Beta v1.3 is very smooth and accurate, imo.

Operator error . . due to swyping the wrong keys, is my main problem. :-[ lol

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Swype Beta is a VERY good keyboard... especially for typing with one hand.

But lately I've been using SwiftKey. I actually keep both keyboards installed on my phone... and when I need to do a lot of one handed typing I switch to Swype Beta.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else see a delay for Swype to start working after a reboot? Mine seems to take up to 2 minutes. Not much of a problem normally but I'm always installing and testing stuff from Recovery Mode.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else see a delay for Swype to start working after a reboot? Mine seems to take up to 2 minutes. Not much of a problem normally but I'm always installing and testing stuff from Recovery Mode.
I haven't experienced that, after a reboot. But I did experience a delay approx. 10~20 mins. after I first downloaded Swype Beta, of course right when I tried to start showing it to my wife. lol
Since that first delay though, it hasn't happened again.

One bug that has come up so far w/ Swype Beta v1.3, in my experience . . is that sometimes when I tap the [back] key, instead of backspacing, SB copies & pastes my last sentence ? at the end of my last sentence! ? and every time I continue to tap the [back] key . .
. . it just keeps copying & pasting my last sentence!
. . it just keeps copying & pasting my last sentence! :D lol

. . the [back arrow] in the Swype Beta toolbar, has been the only remedy I've found, when it occasionally happens.

I'm guessing that's probably a topic of discussion on the: Swype Forums . . .which I haven't really checked-out as yet.

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Auto complete seems a bit buggy. Particularly in the calendar. It tends to repeat my words in my appointments.
Searching contacts has the same behaviour.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I love Swype beta, I have been using it since day one, I think. Seems to be the best keyboard for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried SlideIT Keyboard? I've had it on my Last 4 phones and it has been the best one to learn you and how you use it. It corrects awesome even when i'm not really trying to swype the words correctly. I get replies to all my text asking if I'm texting from my PC or my Laser Virtual Keyboard......I try to use the others even when they started including them on the phone, and I used the original beta Swype before it was released and still they can't get close to what this learns from user. SlideIT

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried SlideIT Keyboard? I've had it on my Last 4 phones and it has been the best one to learn you and how you use it. It corrects awesome even when i'm not really trying to swype the words correctly. I get replies to all my text asking if I'm texting from my PC or my Laser Virtual Keyboard......I try to use the others even when they started including them on the phone, and I used the original beta Swype before it was released and still they can't get close to what this learns from user. SlideIT
Haven't heard of it or tried it, sircody, so thanks for posting about it. ;) I'll see if I can find it to check-out.

Just installed Swype beta yesterday. So far I suck at it, haha.
Keep at it. It gets much easier the more you do it. ;) Try holding the phone at a slightly different angle if you're having trouble seeing where your finger is going.
And there's lots & lots of tips for beginner's and advanced Swyper's at: Swype Forums . . where you can also leave feedback & read about bugs, etc.

Anyone have a favorite theme? I'm totally all in with the way-cool 'Red' ! :cool:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just installed Swype beta yesterday. So far I suck at it, haha.

Swype is a keyboard where you probably really have to give it about a week to get used to it, since it's a completely different way of typing. It took me about 3 days to feel even decent at it, but now it's old hat and I'm pretty quick with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae