Should I wait to root?

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Until after the JB update that is? I'm into modifying my phones, did so on my iPhone since day one, but I'm wondering if I should hold off (in your opinion of course)

Sent from my Red GS3

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
When are u due to get official JB mate?
Rooting and flashing are whole diffeient ballgames remember :thumbup:

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Until after the JB update that is? I'm into modifying my phones, did so on my iPhone since day one, but I'm wondering if I should hold off (in your opinion of course)

Sent from my Red GS3

Rooting an android device is totally different than jailbreaking an iPhone. Many things could go wrong. Are u with a carrier or unbranded? I personally think u should wait. I'm with US cellular n haven't gotten it yet but I'm waiting. My hubby said There's no way in hell I'm rooting this 700 dollar phone n risking messing it up. Lol. I think the reason it's taking so long is there were a lot of bugs. Sprint released theirs too early and a lot of people are having issues with it , so the ROMS released may also have those issues. I'm pissed about the wait, but I'd rather have it right than buggered up and I can't risk effing up my pretty, shiny, already badass phone.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Rooting an android device is totally different than jailbreaking an iPhone. Many things could go wrong. Are u with a carrier or unbranded? I personally think u should wait. I'm with US cellular n haven't gotten it yet but I'm waiting. My hubby said There's no way in hell I'm rooting this 700 dollar phone n risking messing it up. Lol. I think the reason it's taking so long is there were a lot of bugs. Sprint released theirs too early and a lot of people are having issues with it , so the ROMS released may also have those issues. I'm pissed about the wait, but I'd rather have it right than buggered up and I can't risk effing up my pretty, shiny, already badass phone.

Just as much can go wrong jailbreaking trust me, they both allow you to mess with the structural files on the phone, so that's not a concern I research well before doing anything.

Sent from my Red GS3

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm on ATT so it's kind of in the air

Sent from my Red GS3

Id be tempted tbh then bro.
@heels, youre maybe confusing rooting with flashing pal... rooting is risk free and just "unzipps" the belly of your phone which then allows u to give it an organ transplant if you so wish.
Wow what a metaphor :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I will be staying on ICS, there is not enough incentive for me for such a minimal upgrade. Everything on my phone works perfect and I do not want to risk that for a few improvements (I am not going to fix what is not broken). Also, I believe JB will not support "Flash". Especially given that my carrier (Verizon) tends to muck updates, plug exploits, or remove features.

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I will be staying on ICS, there is not enough incentive for me for such a minimal upgrade. Everything on my phone works perfect and I do not want to risk that for a few improvements (I am not going to fix what is not broken). Also, I believe JB will not support "Flash". Especially given that my carrier (Verizon) tends to muck updates, plug exploits, or remove features.

U can find adobe flash on adobe.com then type archives in the search bar. Flash is not supported on anything after 4.0 now. I have it on mine. And I have the download saved on my phone.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
U can find adobe flash on adobe.com then type archives in the search bar. Flash is not supported on anything after 4.0 now. I have it on mine. And I have the download saved on my phone.

I do have Adobe Flash on my S3 now. From what I understand with JB even if you have Adobe Flash it will not support it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Adobe Flash Article: A good read

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Id be tempted tbh then bro.
@heels, youre maybe confusing rooting with flashing pal... rooting is risk free and just "unzipps" the belly of your phone which then allows u to give it an organ transplant if you so wish.
Wow what a metaphor :)
Yeah, 'what a metaphor'! ;) Is that type of operation performed out in the snow, is it? ;) Is that how the snow gets all bloody then? ;) Eh m8? lol

I'm with you, Ricky. ;) Been thinking of skipping JB as well. I hadn't heard about the Adobe Flash issue though, so thanks for posting that! :-\ I definitely wouldn't want to loose 'Flash', which I use quite a bit with ICS 4.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Assuming there will be a root method for your JB update soon after it's pushed, there's no reason you couldn't enjoy all the perks of root now and hold off on the OTA until it's rootable.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a sneaky suspicion that Verizon is going to do whatever it can to try and plug any exploits for rooting. Which is probably the reason they are taking so long to release JB.
***I rooted and unlocked already for this reason.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends what u want to customize....if you want to customize ur homescreens, there is no need for rooting, but if u want to customize ur notification bar and other things like that, you have to root, so even if Jelly Bean came out, u still will need to root to customize those other things

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just as much can go wrong jailbreaking trust me, they both allow you to mess with the structural files on the phone, so that's not a concern I research well before doing anything.

Sent from my Red GS3

True but iPhones can be easily restored in iTunes for majority of the "oops I broke it" versus Android could be "oops I broke it now it won't even turn on". Then you got yourself a nice brick :)

I'm on ATT so it's kind of in the air

Sent from my Red GS3

I would do it as long as your read a guide. Since you don't know when att will release the JB update. Just be sure to read a guide. Also ensure the guide is for your phone.

Rooting is usually pretty straight forward. If your going to ROM please read carefully.. Very carefully. Flashing a galaxy s3 rom meant for another carrier wouldn't be good for you ;).

So just as long as you can read and aren't click happy I'd say go for it :thumbup::beer:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Lol "3gs to gs3" i like u man. Ur a funny dude :beer:
(Not a pick up line.... or is it) :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood