Might be leaving the S3

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I love my S3 over all, the form, the factor and the size is great, plus normally it just works well. Since day one with it, I have had data drop issues, have been experiencing call drops and such. Verizon has replaced the phone, replaced the SIM and nothing works. Today I went into the store to see if they could help me somehow, and the guy basically told me that I should have known that Samsungs have bad antennas and that it is expected and that there is nothing that they can do for me. I asked why I was told how "great" this was and why when I asked about any reception issues I was told there is none known, his answer is "we are salesmen, we sell a product, sometimes we dont tell the truth". That really made me mad and has me looking at ATT and maybe, UGGGGGG and Iphone. I cannot keep living with these issues for 18 more months, I am paying way to much money for them to treat me like this and for a phone that is not working as advertised. I have it listed on Craigslist for enough to cover my ETF, just waiting to see if there are any takers.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Why not try a different carrier instead of them blaming the device?
Im sat with full signal and hspa+ in Scotland :thumbup:

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
That's BS about the Samsung radios all being bad. I don't really blame them for assuming it's Samsung's fault, because Samsung does have a reputation for terrible radios in their phones, but the S3 doesn't count. The US S3 uses Qualcomm's radios, which function perfectly fine. In fact, my Sprint S3 gets better radio performance than my Evo 4G, which had a perfectly serviceable radio.

So, you shouldn't have known the Samsung radios would be bad, because in the US S3s, the radios are fine. Go back and complain again.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I like the S3 and I may try one from another carrier but I must sell this one first. I think Verizon just does not want to admit that "its the network"

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I love my S3 over all, the form, the factor and the size is great, plus normally it just works well. Since day one with it, I have had data drop issues, have been experiencing call drops and such. Verizon has replaced the phone, replaced the SIM and nothing works. Today I went into the store to see if they could help me somehow, and the guy basically told me that I should have known that Samsungs have bad antennas and that it is expected and that there is nothing that they can do for me. I asked why I was told how "great" this was and why when I asked about any reception issues I was told there is none known, his answer is "we are salesmen, we sell a product, sometimes we dont tell the truth". That really made me mad and has me looking at ATT and maybe, UGGGGGG and Iphone. I cannot keep living with these issues for 18 more months, I am paying way to much money for them to treat me like this and for a phone that is not working as advertised. I have it listed on Craigslist for enough to cover my ETF, just waiting to see if there are any takers.

Sorry to hear you are having problems! Since day one (July) I have not dropped 1 call or lost data, in fact I have not had any issues with this phone at all. I was leery of purchasing a Samsung phone based on their reputation on radios, but to be honest I am very satisfied with S3 so far.

How many times have you had the phone replaced?
Are you dropping calls/data in certain areas only or everywhere?
Are you in a rural area?

I know several people here have been given the option to switch to a comparable phone? If you are persistent they will do that, do not keep going back to this "bozo" try a different store or call and complain.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
That's BS about the Samsung radios all being bad. I don't really blame them for assuming it's Samsung's fault, because Samsung does have a reputation for terrible radios in their phones, but the S3 doesn't count. The US S3 uses Qualcomm's radios, which function perfectly fine. In fact, my Sprint S3 gets better radio performance than my Evo 4G, which had a perfectly serviceable radio.

So, you shouldn't have known the Samsung radios would be bad, because in the US S3s, the radios are fine. Go back and complain again.
I totally agree, with Ricky & endless. An S3 w/ 2yr. contract is a pretty hefty investment. I would call up Verizons CS and nicely request a full refund! If that brings no joy, then try doing the same at another Verizon corp. store.

We used to be w/ Verizon; keyword? used to be. :rolleyes: After being with Verizon (and it's predecessor's) since 1989 . . we, as of 2009, had never been offered a single 'loyalty' type of discount. :confused:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sprint S3 is running fine. I've had occasional dropped calls lately but that's due to the network (Sprint started the upgrade of towers in my area to LTE which is causing sporadic issues for a little.)

I am currently at work in a category 5 hurricane proof building and my signal is like funks... I have 5/6 bars (see below post.. This one wouldn't take scree shot). If I walk outside ill have full 6/6. So not sure if its the verizon one with issues or if it's just your area for verizon. I'd say switch carriers...

Most carriers you could get an s3 from them on contract but have like 14 days to cancel if you don't like. Example would be sprint gives you 14 days at the start of the contract.. If you decide you don't like it take it back and the contract is voided no questions asked. So maybe see if att will do this for you since verizon seems to be bad.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This post is for the screenshot (see above post). It wouldn't let me attach before :eek:.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353353744800.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353353744800.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 50

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
#RANT# everyone in the US buy a GSM phone outright n use pre-pay sim cards PLEASE.
Who needs LTE unless you download a LOT... hspa+ is fine for everything else.
If the carrier is crap then just try another one!
Simple as :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
#RANT# everyone in the US buy a GSM phone outright n use pre-pay sim cards PLEASE.
Who needs LTE unless you download a LOT... hspa+ is fine for everything else.
If the carrier is crap then just try another one!
Simple as :)

Hey now I like my CDMA Sprint :p.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

That is the biggest BS ever about Samsung having bad antennas, that CS doesn't know what he is talking about

Ur problem does sound like a carrier issue, do you have good coverage in ur area?

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
So I called CS and they switched me to tech support. Basically his answer is to send me a replacement certified like new device or a compairable model, but the problem is his compariable model is a year or 2 old technology, the Razr. I cant convince him to do anything that is newer or more closely to value....guess I am stuck either selling this or getting the CLN device and more than likely still having issues. The tech even said that he has been places that his Iphone works and his S3 wont, so it has to be a known issue.

If I can sell the phone for enough to cover my ETF I will jump ship and go to ATT who I KNOW has a good strong signal here and will let me try the device for 3 days and return it with no restock fee for another if it does not work here.

rteichman

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Something is not right, I know plenty of people with an S3 on Verizon that don't have call drop problems. If you think AT&T will be better I have bad news for you. Verizon has the best network in the US. I'm on AT&T and I can tell you that call drops (especially with an iPhone or in NY or SF) are standard with them. People switch from AT&T to Verizon to get on a better network.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So I called CS and they switched me to tech support. Basically his answer is to send me a replacement certified like new device or a compairable model, but the problem is his compariable model is a year or 2 old technology, the Razr. I cant convince him to do anything that is newer or more closely to value....guess I am stuck either selling this or getting the CLN device and more than likely still having issues. The tech even said that he has been places that his Iphone works and his S3 wont, so it has to be a known issue.

If I can sell the phone for enough to cover my ETF I will jump ship and go to ATT who I KNOW has a good strong signal here and will let me try the device for 3 days and return it with no restock fee for another if it does not work here.
We still do not know where "Here" is? Does this happen in your home only or everywhere? Like I indicated in my previous post I am in sales and travel extensively and have not had a dropped call anywhere or loss of data.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

AT&T, as of 7 Oct 2012, has a 14 day return w/ no restock fee and/or ETF. Or at least they do in our part of the Colonies. Before 7 Oct. it was typically 30 days.

Something is not right, I know plenty of people with an S3 on Verizon that don't have call drop problems. If you think AT&T will be better I have bad news for you. Verizon has the best network in the US. I'm on AT&T and I can tell you that call drops (especially with an iPhone or in NY or SF) are standard with them. People switch from AT&T to Verizon to get on a better network.
Must totally depend, of course, on what area you're in. We've been getting super reception & all-around call quality in our area for the last 2 years.
We're not supposed to get LTE in our area 'til next Feb. soonest. But as our AT&T reception & all-around call quality is so good, I couldn't really care less when LTE kicks-in in our area . . except for hoping that LTE doesn't mess-up our current good cell-radio reception.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
"HERE" is Central Ohio. I have had data issues since day one, calls not coming through that I know of for the last couple months. I blamed the calls on my Google voice but I have been giving people my Verizon number and am having the same missed calls, but I get the voicemail notification. I want this phone to work, I dont want to replace it with a CLN, I dont want to replace it with 2 year old phones, I want THIS one to work. If it does not work, I want something EQUAL that works.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Since you have it listed on Craigslist, why not do a Factory reset to see if that helps? A fresh start without anything else on it to evaluate. It is probably a good idea to do one anyway before selling it.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I hope you crack your stupid iphone screen!

I kid I kid.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000