New S3 user / convert - a couple of questions please

thegoodnotes

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm a recent (as in today) S3 owner (T-Mobile). I used to be on the iPhone 4 and on Windows Phone 8 (for a week). So far the S3 has been great, but I had a couple of questions I'm hoping you could help me with:

1) In Windows Phone, there was a way where I could setup multiple linked inboxes (I have multiple accounts for work and multiple accounts for personal). Then both of these linked inboxes (work and personal) could be shown as individual icons and show individual notifications. Is there a way to set something like that up on my S3? All my Gmail accounts (work + personal) seem to go into the Gmail app while my one Hotmail account (personal) goes into some other email app (white envelope with an @ on it).

2) I downloaded Home2 Shortcut to try and change the double-tapping of the home button to launch Google Now, but it still is launching S-Voice and I'm pretty sure I've done it correctly. Any ideas?

3) Is there any way for me to uninstall the included T-Mobile / junk apps? I tried going to Application Manager and the Play Store app, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

That's it for now - thank you so much!

jdfrye

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,
2) I downloaded Home2 Shortcut to try and change the double-tapping of the home button to launch Google Now, but it still is launching S-Voice and I'm pretty sure I've done it correctly. Any ideas?
!
I can help you on this... start S-voice>menu>settings>uncheck "launch S Voice" is deselected / then set up the home2

thegoodnotes

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! That worked - although is there a way to launch Google Now so it is awaiting my voice input as soon as it launches? I chose Google as the app, but it just loads the Google app - I still have to click the microphone to input voice.

jdfrye

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
These steps will launch "Google voice search" using home2:
in home2 you pick>step 1>choose application>shortcuts>activities>voice search>voice search RecognitionActivity

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! That worked - although is there a way to launch Google Now so it is awaiting my voice input as soon as it launches? I chose Google as the app, but it just loads the Google app - I still have to click the microphone to input voice.

This is what I did.

Go to Home2 Shortcut app
Step 1) Choose Application > Installed Applications > Voice Search
Step 2) Very very short (seems to have less lag from using home button in different occasions)
Step 3) TouchWiz home (or the specific launcher you use i guess)
Step 4) Choose Home2 as the default action

You really only need to do step 1 of my instructions. If you do that then when you double tap the home button it will go straight to the part of Google Now where it asks you to speak.

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Did you say "Google" before your search? That activates the voice search function.

thegoodnotes

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everybody - I did what xKrNMBoYx suggested and it worked. Although, why don't people like S-Voice? I like that it repeats what I said back to me and talks about the results out loud. Google Now doesn't seem to do that, which isn't particularly convenient when driving or something.

Any ideas about the other questions? Especially the email one. I noticed the Gmail icon doesn't show a number on it for unread mails either?

Thanks!

thegoodnotes

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
A couple of other questions - I'm having the hardest time getting the notifications to behave like they do in iOS / Windows Phone 8.
- In TouchWiz, the Gmail app icon didn't seem to show the unread message count but the Samsung email app did.
- In TouchWiz, I couldn't seem to create a shortcut (I want to create a shortcut to various Gmail labels / inboxes)
- So, I installed Apex and Widget Locker with the Apex notification thing. Now the Gmail app icon shows the unread message count on the lock screen and home screen. I can also create shortcuts now and use the Gmail label widget, but that doesn't seem to show the unread count on the icon either (unless I buy this $0.99 app I guess - have yet to try that).
- Also, the Samsung SMS app doesn't seem to show an unread SMS count on its icon - any way to make that happen?

Lots of customization necessary it seems rather than just working out of the box, but I think I'm getting close!

Thanks again!