Task Killer Program

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the Advanced Task Killer app - not sure if necessary or not, just got in the habit with my iPhone of periodicaly shutting down background running apps. It's kinda crazy how many open up on their own. I can kill them all and then voila, they appear back running. Some are the samsung stuff like S Voice, S Suggest, Video Player, music player and I can't keep my verizon mobile closed, but they use minimal ram.

Some I can't figure out - like the email program, I use the gmail app, but the other native email program always pops up as open.

Is there any way to force stop, delete them or otherwise get rid of all those installed system apps that I never use?

Also the RAM, right now mine is fluctuating from 550M to 700M depending on what's open - Chrome uses most, but with it open its still 550M available... At what RAM level does performance decrease or should be worried about??

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Task killers really aren't needed on current android phones. In fact, they can do more harm than good. The kernel is very good at managing all apps, running or not, in the background.

If you root you can use Titanium Backup to freeze or delete unwanted apps, otherwise just hide the ones you don't want.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Go into System settings/apps and locate the program and tap on it to bring up App Info. Some will have an option to uninstall; others to disable. If you?re rooted you can do more but even without rooting you can clean up lots of junk including some battery hogs.

As for task killers. Some will say there is no need since Android is pretty good at reclaiming memory from idle apps BUT some apps aren't really "idle" and won't get flushed. One percent CPU here and two here and another here add up so I like to occasionally clean up. I seldom start a task manager for that but if I'm in there for some other reason....

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
First order of business: Uninstall the Task Killer app NOW! - The Android OS has evolved to the point where it is "smart" enough to manage any apps running in the background on it's own. Also using a task killer/manager to stop background running apps will only shorten your phone's battery life by consuming more power when they restart, as you have noted in your oringinal post. In short, do not use a task killer/manager on Android Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) or above.

Next, you can manage background apps by pressing and holding the home button and ending apps indivdually by swyping them off the screen one at a time, or choose to end all by tapping the button.

Finally, if you do find apps that you do not ever intend to use, (e.g. stock email app as opposed to gmail app) you can go into Settings then Application Manager and choose to disable the undesired app, preventing it from ever running and in doing so, the app shortcut will be removed from your app drawer in the process. Also, rooting your phone is always an option, but you'll find far better threads in these forums discussing the pros and cons of rootings than I'll be able to advise you on.

As for the RAM concern, you did not mention if you have a 1GB or 2GB RAM device. In either case, 550M to 700M is still under max RAM and you should not worry. As I mentioned before, Android will manage RAM very well and turn off unused/unnecessary background apps or processes as additional RAM is needed.

Best of luck to you as you continue your journey into the unrestricted world of Android!

Last edited:

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
First order of business: Uninstall the Task Killer app NOW! - The Android OS has evolved to the point where it is "smart" enough to manage any apps running in the background on it's own. Also using a task killer/manager to stop background running apps will only shorten your phone's battery life by consuming more power when they restart, as you have noted in your oringinal post. In short, do not use a task killer/manager on Android Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) or above.

Next, you can manage background apps by pressing and holding the home button and ending apps indivdually by swyping them off the screen one at a time, or choose to end all by tapping the button.

Finally, if you do find apps that you do not ever intend to use, (e.g. stock email app as opposed to gmail app) you can go into Settings then Application Manager and choose to disable the undesired app, preventing it from ever running and in doing so, the app shortcut will be removed from your app drawer in the process. Also, rooting your phone is always an option, but you'll find far better threads in these forums discussing the pros and cons of rootings than I'll be able to advise you on.

As for the RAM concern, you did not mention if you have a 1GB or 2GB RAM device. In either case, 550M to 700M is still under max RAM and you should not worry. As I mentioned before, Android will manage RAM very well and turn off unused/unnecessary background apps or processes as additional RAM is needed.

Best of luck to you as you continue your journey into the unrestricted world of Android!

I'm still learning the names of the versions, mine is version 4.0.4 with Verizon.... is that ICS or above?

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replies so far. I removed it.

I have noticed that seemed like my battery wasn't as good as it had been - as I was amazed at increased battery life over my iPhone w/ normal daily use.

Not sure about 1 or 2 gb device - where find out?? In application manager under running processes it says 754mb used and 878mb free....

evq.003

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Seeing that you are on Verizon, the asumption is, you bought your phone from them, therefore you would have a 2GB RAM phone.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah task killers aren't really needed. Just hold down home and click the delete/clear/trash button and you're good. Should get rid of most apps that aren't running and you don't even really have to do that unless it's like a GPS app where it's draining your battery

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Trouble with one touch manual task killers is they can kill apps you really want to keep running.
Theres really no need for them and especialy not the automated ones.
Androids a big boy now :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer: