WIFES S3 broke By ITSELF!!!

MasTeR.LeGenD

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
No case when pandora was playing just sitting on the dinner table, no case when it sat on the table for the whole day and she used her iphone as a replacement swapped sims. I had it multitasking and charging for the day when I got home from work more cracks just sitting there. This is definately an internal overheating problem as I feel that is causing internal preassure pushing up on the lcd, to glass.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Truth be told OP there is very little the community can do to help you or ease the pain. Things like this just happen sometimes. I remember an iPod I had randomly had a cracked screen one day and it was sitting snuggly in my glove compartment. I just had to suck it up and pay for repair. It's like if your car had an issue and you couldn't fix it yourself, take it to the shop, deal with it (I suggest the former), and if you feel like it's a manufacturer defect contact them right away.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Truly sorry for all those who have had this happen to them. I was about to pick up a S3 today, but after reading this forum, as well as the other one provided by the link on the other page, I have decided to go with the note 2. I am asking around to see if this has been happening with the note 2, but I really hope it isn't. Of course, even though it shouldn't, it COULD happen to any phone. I just haven't heard anything like this with the N2.

I hope you eventually find a solution!

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Truly sorry for all those who have had this happen to them. I was about to pick up a S3 today, but after reading this forum, as well as the other one provided by the link on the other page, I have decided to go with the note 2. I am asking around to see if this has been happening with the note 2, but I really hope it isn't. Of course, even though it shouldn't, it COULD happen to any phone. I just haven't heard anything like this with the N2.

I hope you eventually find a solution!

I have the S3 and it gets hot when I'm using it while it charges. But I haven't had any problems with the glass breaking. Samsung knows it's happening. They just won't admit it. Maybe they have removed the remaining faulty phones from the market.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the S3 and it gets hot when I'm using it while it charges. But I haven't had any problems with the glass breaking. Samsung knows it's happening. They just won't admit it. Maybe they have removed the remaining faulty phones from the market.

Seems t

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Ur gettin N2 babzez?

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have hardly seen any topics of anyone's Galaxy S3 spontaneously combust or break... Sure there are quite a few topics here about their screen getting scratches easily. But just like with any forum, problems are always posted. Millions of people are not going to go on forums and post, "my screen did not crack today".

Besides, as I have repeatedly stated. Corning's Gorilla Glass 2 is not scratch proof, it is not invincible. It can and does break. It is glass after all. It is a thin piece of glass on top of a pressure sensitive LED.

Even a slight piece of sand swiped across the screen will scratch any glass.

And no, because your old phone rarely got scratched it doesn't mean this is defective. When the GS3 released, there was no other 4.8" thin phone out there. Besides, what will getting the Note 2 do? the screen is even larger and uses the same glass and materials. In fact, the screen, with a larger area is more likely to pick up dirt, dust, fingerprints, marks. And because it's so large, putting it into your pocket would create even more friction and pressure.

While Samsung does do stress tests, keep in mind, they cannot replicate anything in the world. You could drop a phone 1000 times and have it land 1000 different ways.

Things just break sometimes. You could buy a pc tomorrow and have the motherboard fail within a month. Doesn't mean the motherboard is faulty. There are 32 million+ Samsung Galaxy S3 sold, if there was a large batch of faulty glass, there would be hundreds of thousands of complaints. There isn't. When something is noticeably faulty, people find out. Antennagate, the xbox 360 RRoD etc.

Check other forums as well. There are a lot of topics of people who own an HTC One X with the screen being scratched, or Sony Xperia forums.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have hardly seen any topics of anyone's Galaxy S3 spontaneously combust or break... Sure there are quite a few topics here about their screen getting scratches easily. But just like with any forum, problems are always posted. Millions of people are not going to go on forums and post, "my screen did not crack today".

Besides, as I have repeatedly stated. Corning's Gorilla Glass 2 is not scratch proof, it is not invincible. It can and does break. It is glass after all. It is a thin piece of glass on top of a pressure sensitive LED.

Even a slight piece of sand swiped across the screen will scratch any glass.

And no, because your old phone rarely got scratched it doesn't mean this is defective. When the GS3 released, there was no other 4.8" thin phone out there. Besides, what will getting the Note 2 do? the screen is even larger and uses the same glass and materials. In fact, the screen, with a larger area is more likely to pick up dirt, dust, fingerprints, marks. And because it's so large, putting it into your pocket would create even more friction and pressure.

While Samsung does do stress tests, keep in mind, they cannot replicate anything in the world. You could drop a phone 1000 times and have it land 1000 different ways.

Things just break sometimes. You could buy a pc tomorrow and have the motherboard fail within a month. Doesn't mean the motherboard is faulty. There are 32 million+ Samsung Galaxy S3 sold, if there was a large batch of faulty glass, there would be hundreds of thousands of complaints. There isn't. When something is noticeably faulty, people find out. Antennagate, the xbox 360 RRoD etc.

Check other forums as well. There are a lot of topics of people who own an HTC One X with the screen being scratched, or Sony Xperia forums.

The big selling point of gorilla glass 2 is being thinner without the loss of durability. So yes I WILL be upset when it scratches more easily because they advertised it as being as durable. Go read their website if you disagree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I thought i heard that the gs3 had some issues with some batteries being faulty. Back in the day, smartphone screens would crack from a bad battery swelling up and stressing the screen.

Just a thought.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
OP,
Sorry to hear that, if it is only a month old, it is still under warranty. It is just not Samsung, my brother's iPhone 4 was replaced by Apple Canada only few weeks after buying it.

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
The big selling point of gorilla glass 2 is being thinner without the loss of durability. So yes I WILL be upset when it scratches more easily because they advertised it as being as durable. Go read their website if you disagree.

"How is Corning? Gorilla? Glass 2 different?

Gorilla Glass 2 can be up to 20 percent thinner than the original, but still just as tough. This exceptional thinness enables greater design possibilities for slimmer and sleeker devices with brighter images and improved touch sensitivity. Gorilla Glass 2 is elegant and lightweight, but scratch resistant and durable enough to withstand the unexpected abuses of everyday life."

All they ever stated is that it is just as tough but thinner. What does this mean? It means a piece of gorilla glass 2 by itself will be thinner than a piece of gorilla glass by itself. Now each phone has it's own specs and manufacturing. When Samsung released the Galaxy S3, it was the only phone out with a 4.8" size and suprisingly thin. Now, we don't exactly know what process Samsung used, how it got the glass, did Corning mould it to specifications or did Samsung do it.

Once again, all Corning has ever stated is that it's glass is durable enough and is able to resist most everyday abuses. they've never said it was scratch-proof, nor shatter-proof. They've only said it was just as durable as the original and scratch-resistant, which it is. Additionally, as I stated earlier, each person is different as is each situation. The material in your jeans pocket may be different, maybe there is lint, dust, sand etc. Some of you could put it face in to your jean and get hairline scratches, some of you could put it with keys and come away with no scratches. Nothing can be quantified. Glass is, and always will be an easier material to scratch.

As for me, I've fallen asleep on my Galaxy S3 several times, I've sat on it. It has been much more flexible and durable than my GSII, if that means anything. For you it could be different. How can you ever prove it scratches more easily? And even then, did they ever say it won't? All they said is there isn't a loss of durability. That could mean anything.

Look I am not on the side of the faceless corporations, but my point is that people should do some reading before. Numerous review sites even stated their device got a few scratches on the screen. The least some of the people now complaining about scratches could have done is get a cheap static cling protector. They cost less than a dollar these days. Why risk anything?

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
"How is Corning? Gorilla? Glass 2 different?

Gorilla Glass 2 can be up to 20 percent thinner than the original, but still just as tough. This exceptional thinness enables greater design possibilities for slimmer and sleeker devices with brighter images and improved touch sensitivity. Gorilla Glass 2 is elegant and lightweight, but scratch resistant and durable enough to withstand the unexpected abuses of everyday life."

All they ever stated is that it is just as tough but thinner. What does this mean? It means a piece of gorilla glass 2 by itself will be thinner than a piece of gorilla glass by itself. Now each phone has it's own specs and manufacturing. When Samsung released the Galaxy S3, it was the only phone out with a 4.8" size and suprisingly thin. Now, we don't exactly know what process Samsung used, how it got the glass, did Corning mould it to specifications or did Samsung do it.

Once again, all Corning has ever stated is that it's glass is durable enough and is able to resist most everyday abuses. they've never said it was scratch-proof, nor shatter-proof. They've only said it was just as durable as the original and scratch-resistant, which it is. Additionally, as I stated earlier, each person is different as is each situation. The material in your jeans pocket may be different, maybe there is lint, dust, sand etc. Some of you could put it face in to your jean and get hairline scratches, some of you could put it with keys and come away with no scratches. Nothing can be quantified. Glass is, and always will be an easier material to scratch.

As for me, I've fallen asleep on my Galaxy S3 several times, I've sat on it. It has been much more flexible and durable than my GSII, if that means anything. For you it could be different. How can you ever prove it scratches more easily? And even then, did they ever say it won't? All they said is there isn't a loss of durability. That could mean anything.

Look I am not on the side of the faceless corporations, but my point is that people should do some reading before. Numerous review sites even stated their device got a few scratches on the screen. The least some of the people now complaining about scratches could have done is get a cheap static cling protector. They cost less than a dollar these days. Why risk anything?

I agree that is WILL break but what I was saying that going through the same usage as you've always put your phone you should be getting similar results on a person to person basis.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
yeah I saw all the posts throughout just wanted to start a new one and see what were the results from these defective cheap korean phones.
If the screens are defective on some phones the company should recognize as apple did when they had the antenna problems.

Cheap phones..lol a semi-troll but really does have a defective item

The screen is broken, functional but broken... You're nitpicking lol

Sent from my Red GS3

When things are "broken" they're usually do not have much function. Broken arm, broken car, broken bike, broken computer, broken xxxx, etc.
The best thing the OP could have said was a broken screen as the screen really is broken, but the phone, that has a job to call, still has it's function ability so the phone itself isn't broken.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Cheap phones..lol a semi-troll but really does have a defective item

When things are "broken" they're usually do not have much function. Broken arm, broken car, broken bike, broken computer, broken xxxx, etc.
The best thing the OP could have said was a broken screen as the screen really is broken, but the phone, that has a job to call, still has it's function ability so the phone itself isn't broken.

By definition broken means damaged OR not I working order.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a very small(unnoticeable unless you look for it) crack near the middle towards the bottom of my screen. I can confirm that I never placed it in my pockets with keys, dropped it, or anything crazy. However I find it hard to believe when people say stuff along the lines of "huge crack down the center of my phone", or "screen randomly shattered" but then go on to claim they'e always babied their phones, never dropped etc...However there could be a bad batch of Gorilla Glass 2 out there.

And Samsung doesn't make the glass. I went to pull mine out of pocket one day, it drops four feet, facedown, onto one of the metal steps of my rig. There was a heart-rending clang as it landed. I carefully stepped down past it and bent to retrieve it, just knowing I was hosed.

Much to my surprise, a couple of spots of my Invisible Shield had peeled up, but otherwise, all was well. Now hearing that the OPs SIII has neen overheating, that indeed sounds like a problem. I push my Galaxy pretty hard, and it warms up, but I've never had a high temp alert. If there's any way to screenshot these warnings/readings, I would do so ASAP to back any future claims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci