09-21-2015 08:40 AM
89 1234
tools
    Me and my husband are having the same problems as you Jen since the recent update in early Jan it just stoped working, definitely a software issue. Going to go into Samsung shop when I get a chance and what they have to say. I live in Sydney.
    Thank goodness, it's not just me, I'm not going crazy! Good luck Kate, let me know how you go. I've tried talking to a person at the tech bar in a Telstra store but it didn't help. I might have to try a Samsung store next!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Android Central Forums
    01-17-2013 06:56 AM
    Hi, I'm located in Melbourne Australia.

Ok, yes I add apps and widgets from that screen same as you. I have no problem adding or removing apps and widgets on the main section of the home screens. It's just that bottom row I can't seem to edit.

When I simply hold down my finger on an icon and try to drag it to the bin, the bin goes red but when I release my finger it reverts back to how it was. I have to go to menu > edit to actually move anything on my home screen.

Regardless of that, the issue is that I can't edit the bottom row at all, no matter what I try.

Me and my husband are having the same problems as you Jen since the recent update in early Jan it just stoped working, definitely a software issue. Going to go into Samsung shop when I get a chance and what they have to say. I live in Sydney.
    Ah...sounds like then it is very possible it is an issue in the upgrade from possibly your carrier. Hope you get it to work!
    01-17-2013 11:18 AM
    I've spoken to Samsung technical support about this and they have advised that because of the firmware update, you are now unable to edit these home page icon settings. They stupidly call this a "feature" and the tech guy said he had no idea why it was working like this now. I've had this problem for a few months, even before the Jellybean update came out. I think it has something to do with Samsung's Australian firmware version, as I was just in Hong Kong and the S3's there with Jellybean allowed these icons to be replaced. I think the only answer is to use a 3rd party launcher to get around the frustrating problem.
    JOBBLY and Slart like this.
    01-17-2013 08:19 PM
    Not really a solution to the problem, but perhaps a work around. Have you tried any alternate launchers? I'm using the free version of Nova launcher and really like it.
    01-17-2013 09:34 PM
    Meyerweb could you explain what a launcher is, and what the benefits are? I've never heard about these before.

01-17-2013 10:34 PM
    Hi gang
    This issue is a deliberate restriction enforced by Samsung to all australian carriers, though they never explained why. When vodaphone was testing the 4.1.1 update a while ago they asked Samsung about this restriction and were told that it was done on purpose and it won't be reinstated in any future updates (up to 4.2 at the time of the post).
    I am also suffering this issue, but I dont mind it.
    Yes, I am told, if you install another launcher and dont use the default one then your icons will be unlocked.

take care
    Soulbro
    Slart and JOBBLY like this.
    01-18-2013 04:13 AM
    Meyerweb could you explain what a launcher is, and what the benefits are? I've never heard about these before.

The launcher is basically your homescreens and app drawer.
    Here are a description on launchers and some choices:
    http://www.android.gs/best-android-launchers-of-2012/

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD
    Toel Teemaa and Acr29z like this.
    01-18-2013 04:41 AM
    This is an infuriating "feature" that has been forced upon Australian users.

A while ago I went to samfirmware.com and loaded the firmware from another country (because it seemed the rest of the world had v4.1.2 except Australia), I could then change the icons. Months later the Australian 4.1.2 update came out, so I went back to running that and now I can no longer change the icons - but I didn't wipe my phone when I loaded it, so I still have the icons I had set before.

So, a work around, load firmware of the same version from another country without wiping, set the icons you want, load the Australian version back in.
    Note: If you don't know what odin is, you probably don't want to try this.

Makes me embarrassed to be Australian.
    JOBBLY, Leon Vilfand and Slart like this.
    01-20-2013 08:42 PM
    Thanks everyone for your help, it's much appreciated. I will now go and research launchers!

01-21-2013 06:03 AM
    Here, do this.....
    Press on home screen and add whatever ap you plan to add to the dock onto the homescreen. Let go. Then drag ap from homescreen to empty dock position. The guy at Samsung has no idea what he is talking about. How these people get jobs while skilled workers are out of work I will never understand.
    mamamansfield likes this.
    01-25-2013 11:17 AM
    Check out ActionLauncher, I'm beginning to prefer it over Nova. http://www.imgur.com/B4Kap.png

Galaxy SIII - Thanks Appreciated!
    My Podcast-http://cyberears.com/index.php/Show/audio/6030
    My Blog-https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blo....blogspot.com/
    Whats better about it bro?

quadcore 1gb GS3, Neat Rom by Salesale. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    01-26-2013 05:21 AM
    Yep, I am having the same problem too! The app is in my settings under Shortcuts, but the icons on the bottom of the screen aren't responsive and only show 3 of my chosen apps! very frustrating.
    02-12-2013 05:15 PM
    Yep, I am having the same problem too! The app is in my settings under Shortcuts, but the icons on the bottom of the screen aren't responsive and only show 3 of my chosen apps! very frustrating.
    You need to be a bit more clear on what your problem is. We have no idea what "the app" you're referring to is, nor exactly what your problem is. Try providing a clear explanation of what you're trying to do, how, and what happens when you try.
    02-12-2013 05:22 PM
    sorry guys it cant be done anymore since the update samsung may change it down the track but thats how it is for now
    02-14-2013 10:01 PM

How did you get the calender to appear like that?
    Is that a widget or can you do it through action launcher? it looks great
    03-01-2013 12:36 AM
    I have been trying to figure this out too. The only way I could do it was to put the app that I wanted on the bottom row in with the other apps on the page, then long press it and it will allow you to put it on the bottom row of apps. I hope this helps.
    03-03-2013 10:29 AM
    Here, do this.....
    Press on home screen and add whatever ap you plan to add to the dock onto the homescreen. Let go. Then drag ap from homescreen to empty dock position. The guy at Samsung has no idea what he is talking about. How these people get jobs while skilled workers are out of work I will never understand.
    My two year old son somehow figured out how to delete shortcuts and deleted my Phone app shortcut from my home dock about two weeks ago. I've spent an insane amount of time trying to move an app shortcut for the all-important Phone app back into that damned home dock, and none of the suggestions I found on any forum helped besides this one. Thank you, wrs0312! This is the answer I was looking for all along. And yes, I face-palmed to the extreme when I realized how simple it was to fix.

If you're still trying to edit your home dock, follow the above instructions and feel like an ***** too! :o)

(PS I joined this forum just to thank you.)
    03-06-2013 11:33 PM
    I have been trying to figure this out too. The only way I could do it was to put the app that I wanted on the bottom row in with the other apps on the page, then long press it and it will allow you to put it on the bottom row of apps. I hope this helps.
    Hi there, thanks for your post, but as I tried to explain in my earlier posts, this is exactly what I used to be able to do. No longer possible.

I ended up speaking with a tech support person at Telstra last week who confirmed what a couple of people have said in this thread. That is, Samsung actually stuffed up their last update, and this made it impossible to change that bottom row of icons.

So if you're still able to change your bottom row, good for you! Be wary of updating your phone!

Hopefully Samsung fix this in the next update...

Slart likes this.
    03-07-2013 04:55 AM
    hi glitterpony,
    I recently couldnt move any apps and I tried the 'settings-lockscreen...' advice but for some reason the 'lockscreen options' wont let me access it. However I just restarted my phone and I can now move apps around. Lockscreen options is still unattainable.
    03-07-2013 02:29 PM
    http://www.imgur.com/B4Kap.png
    How did you get the calender to appear like that?
    Is that a widget or can you do it through action launcher? it looks great
    What calendar is that?!?!
    03-12-2013 02:47 AM
    What calendar is that?!?!
    Zipper widget. I have this same one on my tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    03-12-2013 01:03 PM
    I just got a Samsung Galaxy s 3 today and I am having exactly the same issue - it is impossible to delete, move or alter these icons in anyway. I live in Australia and am my carrier is Optus. From reading other posts this is an issue specific to Australia. This is incredibly frustrating as I now have a phone with a bunch of icons stuck at the bottom of the screen that I never use and can't get rid of. It is enough to make me regret getting this phone - I may as well have gone with an iPhone!!! I hope Samsung can rectify this for Aussie users.
    03-18-2013 03:59 AM
    I havent noticed but I have run Nova Launcher for some time now
    03-18-2013 04:42 AM
    I just got a Samsung Galaxy s 3 today and I am having exactly the same issue - it is impossible to delete, move or alter these icons in anyway. I live in Australia and am my carrier is Optus. From reading other posts this is an issue specific to Australia. This is incredibly frustrating as I now have a phone with a bunch of icons stuck at the bottom of the screen that I never use and can't get rid of. It is enough to make me regret getting this phone - I may as well have gone with an iPhone!!! I hope Samsung can rectify this for Aussie users.
    It seems likely that this is something the carriers have requested, or perhaps has something to do with a particular legal issue in Oz. In any case, it's easy enough to get around it. Nova Launcher is free, and better in most respects than the TW launcher anyway. And trust me, even with this limitation the S3 is far more customizable than an iPhone.
    03-18-2013 12:44 PM
    I have just had the disappearing bottom buttons when I try to add/edit them issue too. So glad someone else has had this issue (as bad as that sounds) I didnt realise that the australian roms /official updates stuffed this up. annoying. Im now trying another countries rom and putting what I want on the launcher and then reverting back to Australian stock rom. Thanks for the people who had the work around. Thanks again.
    04-01-2013 05:30 PM
89 1234