can't change bottom row of home screen apps galaxy s3

dankoi

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I have updated australian 4.2.2 firmware to my Galaxy Tab2 and have the exact same issue.

The only workaround I found is to go edit mode on homescreen then rotate your device. For me this way the dock appears and one action can be done. By repeating the rotation before each action I managed to change the dock icons. It is a pain but worked.

Tony Sonance

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
@dankoi

Excellent! That's it! That's the fix! (well, workaround).
I updated to Jelly Bean today on my Australian GT2 and I've been trying & researching for hours to fix this f#@%ing annoyance.
I tried out two launchers, which fixed that issue but created other problems so I uninstalled them.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

dankoi

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone!

There is a UK 4.2.2 version available which is not suffering from the problems of the Australian one.
Home screen is fully editable, boot speed is much better and so far looks more stable.
Worth to load it!

bh5354

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi dankoi,

You mentioned there's a UK 4.2.2 version.
I live in Australia, so if I just click on settings > update, it will automatically get the australian one.

How would I download this UK 4.2.2? And how would I install it?

I have the Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 and the bottom dock app issue makes me want to through anyway this android tablet!

Jason714

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello..
I have a Samsung Galaxy Express GT-i8730 with Android Jelly Bean...
The five icons at the bottom of the screen won't budge! I have tried all the suggestions apart from flashing it and installing a different UK or HK version
of Jelly Bean. (I've just bought it) I'm hoping that when Samsung does the Kit Kat update they allow that option?..
or is it a regional problem?..
or is it a option left out by Android designers?

J. :cool:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Jason714,
It appears that there are some regional firmware builds that have those locked, but that certainly isn't the norm. If you've long-pressed on an item in the dock and it doesn't give you the option to drag it somewhere else or delete it then you should try an alternate launcher (see post #65). If you don't like that one there are several other great ones to choose from, including Themer: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.mycolorscreen.themer

I wouldn't hold my breath for KitKat (Android 4.4) - the S4 and the Note 3 will likely see that but I don't know about the rest of the Samsung line.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

swirvi

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Oh my gosh dankoi, I can't thank you enough. Not being able to change the dock icons was driving me insane! :) Also worth noting for those of us who thought we were stuck with those specific apps, that you can also drag other apps onto the dock before it disappears which is very handy.

For some reason though it doesn't bother me on the S3, I guess because there's only 5 apps on the phone dock, and they're actually pretty handy - unlike the tablet dock icons (for me, anyway).

Thank you thank you thank you dankoi :) I'd almost given up.

dmov

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I am speaking about the calendar widget as it appears on page two of this thread. The reply in post 46 doesn't help. Thanks

Helen Roslyn

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
When I rotate my phone nothing happens to the home screen and I can see any chages or anything. A bit frustrated. I factory reset my phone so now I's stuck with 1 of 5 icons I will EVER use in that area.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Helen,
Welcome to the forums!

Do you have Australian firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S III? If so, I'm afraid that there's nothing you can do except use an alternate launcher:
Action Launcher: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.actionlauncher.playstore
Nova Launcher: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher
Themer: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.mycolorscreen.themer
(those are just a few)

or see if you can load that UK firmware that was mentioned in post #63.

I'm not sure what rotating the phone is supposed to do after selecting 'Edit page' - it didn't do anything for me. Sorry.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Alextodd1

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
had my galaxy for a while now and bot sure when or what has happened but I have no idea how to change the apps on the home screen.. I've done it before since I have my CBA banking app among others that I've put there previously. now when I try to long press an app from home screen to drag down to the bottom row, the whole row is replaced with a trash can. any help would bw awesome since I've deleted an app from there and can't get any back. its like a missing tooth. to help with any suggestions, I can't long press the bottom icons either, they remain unresponsive. please just tell me I am missing something simple, I'd prefer to slap my own head than need to slap Samsung's again.

Simple as that you need to flash your device, but i recommend you to download an antivirus and scan your entire phone. Else Flash is surely going to do the trick. Make sure to back up your entire data before doing it.

Wayne Burman

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Dankoi,

I want to thank you for posting this fix. This worked on my new SGTab3 8.0.

I noted that when you go to landscape view and the bottom row appeared and became editable, when you go back to portrait view they stay on the screen and editable, which makes it easier.

To all those thinking of alternate launchers or mesding about with roms, try Dankoi's solution first, it might save you a lot of work.

Cheers
Wayne

Posted via Android Central App

sydoz56

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
sorry but I have none of theoptions suggested on my Galaxy S3???
also wnat to change those buttons , did it once ages ago but forgot

Onjarf

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I want to change - replace "apps" dock icon on my galaxy s3 mini but I don't know how!? Other icons I can replace and change with icons of galaxy s2 example...
Regards

Leon Vilfand

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm a galaxy note2 Optus user : same issue. I was so hoping they would fix it in v4.3, but it didn't happen. So I will have to keep using 3rd party launcher. Why would Samsung do this? They don't want people to use their default launcher? I was more suspecting our stupid carriers who always want to lock in their bloatware; perhaps they asked Samsung to lock in a specific screen so that it is easier for them to support it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781