can't change bottom row of home screen apps galaxy s3

glitterpony1

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
had my galaxy for a while now and bot sure when or what has happened but I have no idea how to change the apps on the home screen.. I've done it before since I have my CBA banking app among others that I've put there previously. now when I try to long press an app from home screen to drag down to the bottom row, the whole row is replaced with a trash can. any help would bw awesome since I've deleted an app from there and can't get any back. its like a missing tooth. to help with any suggestions, I can't long press the bottom icons either, they remain unresponsive. please just tell me I am missing something simple, I'd prefer to slap my own head than need to slap Samsung's again.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello glitterpony1, and yes, you are just 'missing something simple'. Not to worry, and no need to slap your head. ;) Btw, a big Welcome!...to the AC Forums. :)

Go to Settings > Security and lock screen > Lock screen options > Shortcuts . . set 'Shortcuts' to 'on' ? if it's 'off' . . then tap on 'Shortcuts' . . then long-press on any app that you'd like to discard from your home screen ? and drag it down to the trash can . . then tap on the [ + ] symbol ? which takes you to 'Select application' ? where you can simply select whichever app you'd like to replace the previously discarded one with.

See? Simple as . . Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy! ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Well done bro :)
Tbh i cba goin into touchwiz and learning a new launcher so i left the reply for someone like u :) :beer:

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the OP was asking about the lock screen. She (I'm guessing "glitterpony" isn't a he, but I could well be wrong.) was asking about the icons in the dock, I believe. But I'm afraid I have no idea what the problem might be.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
all i can say (sorry) is try a better launcher than touchwiz like Nova.
then the trashcan is at the top and long pressing any icon will move it around including the dock :)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

Jenjenski

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings > Security and lock screen > Lock screen options > Shortcuts . . set 'Shortcuts' to 'on' ? if it's 'off' . . then tap on 'Shortcuts' . .

Hi, I realise this is an old-ish thread, but I have recently started having a similar problem (perhaps since the last system upgrade...?). I used to be able to change which apps I had in that bottom row of shortcuts, but now I can't. And the Settings path you describe above doesn't exist (and I can't find a similar setting under either the Lock Screen or Security menus).

When I edit my home screen, I can move/remove the apps on the main section of each page, but this bottom row disappears from view and isn't accessible to edit.

I did have GoSMS in my bottom row, but last week had to uninstall it and reinstall it. When I uninstalled it, it disappeared from the bottom row, and now I can't put it back. So I have a phone where I can't make SMS one of the primary shortcuts, which is ridiculous!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jenjenski

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the link. That link explains how things used to work on my S3, but it no longer works that way for some reason.

Now, from my home screen that looks like the first screenshot attached, when I go to edit the home screen, you can see in the second screen shot that it blanks out that bottom row. I can't edit it. I can't drag any icons to that area at all, nor can I drag an existing icon out of that row.

This is a recent phenomenon, I used to be able to do exactly what your link says.

Attachments

• Screenshot1.png
    Screenshot1.png
    720.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot2.png
    704.3 KB · Views: 74

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the OP was asking about the lock screen. She (I'm guessing "glitterpony" isn't a he, but I could well be wrong.) was asking about the icons in the dock, I believe. But I'm afraid I have no idea what the problem might be.
Yeah, meyerweb's right. I don't know what I might've been smokin' that day! :rolleyes: :D . . I must've read 'home screen' and thought I'd read lock screen. :confused: My bad. :-[

Hi, I realise this is an old-ish thread, but I have recently started having a similar problem (perhaps since the last system upgrade...?).
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, thanks for the link. That link explains how things used to work on my S3, but it no longer works that way for some reason.
Now, from my home screen that looks like the first screenshot attached, when I go to edit the home screen, you can see in the second screen shot that it blanks out that bottom row. I can't edit it. I can't drag any icons to that area at all, nor can I drag an existing icon out of that row.
This is a recent phenomenon, I used to be able to do exactly what your link says.
That's a strange phenom, and one that I haven't experienced and/or read about (in my brief few days of androidinous life).

Your "perhaps since the last system upgrade...?" reference ? could be it, as this thread & OP were started the day before the JB update was released, hence the [Go to Settings > Security and lock screen > Lock screen options > Shortcuts . . ] path ? for ICS 4.0.4.

If you haven't loaded any other launchers, or strange widgets that may be affecting your home screens, then perhaps a battery pull and/or factory reset...might do the trick?

Jenjenski

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather not do a factory reset if at all avoidable...
A friend of mine got a brand new Galaxy S3 last week, and he's having exactly the same issue on his phone. So I don't think it's just my phone, so it surprises me that nobody else seems to be having the same issue.
The fact that my friend is having the same issue with his brand new phone also suggests that a factory reset probably won't help...?

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you delete an icon first, then try to replace it with what you want? I think I had to do that.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

Jenjenski

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Can you delete an icon first, then try to replace it with what you want? I think I had to do that.

You mean delete an icon from the bottom row? No I can't. I can't do anything at all to the bottom row, as it is blanked out in edit mode.
The GoSMS icon was in the bottom row, and disappeared when I uninstalled the app. Now that I've reinstalled it I can't put it back where it was. I can't put anything in that row at all.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You mean delete an icon from the bottom row? No I can't. I can't do anything at all to the bottom row, as it is blanked out in edit mode.
The GoSMS icon was in the bottom row, and disappeared when I uninstalled the app. Now that I've reinstalled it I can't put it back where it was. I can't put anything in that row at all.

Don't go to the "edit" screen, just go to the home screen, press and hold down on an icon and a trash can should appear for you to drag and drop the icon in. Then at the home screen, click "apps", go to the app you want at the bottom, long click on that app, it will bring it to the home screen, drag it to the bottom.

Of course that might work differently with international versions...

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Check out ActionLauncher, I'm beginning to prefer it over Nova.
B4Kap.png

Galaxy SIII - Thanks Appreciated!
My Podcast - http://cyberears.com/index.php/Show/audio/6030
My Blog - https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://bearpastarocketpop.blogspot.com/

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's what I was wondering, too, but forgot to mention. Perhaps your uninstalling of GoSMS is somehow causing the problem?

Did your friend also install or uninstall GoSMS? If not, are there other similarities with both yours and your friends GS3's? Such as carriers, or launchers, etc.?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, that's what I was wondering, too, but forgot to mention. Perhaps your uninstalling of GoSMS is somehow causing the problem?

Did your friend also install or uninstall GoSMS? If not, are there other similarities with both yours and your friends GS3's? Such as carriers, or launchers, etc.?

I don't understand the step of going to "edit" home screen to add and remove icons at the bottom. I do it directly from the home screen, not in edit mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the step of going to "edit" home screen to add and remove icons at the bottom. I do it directly from the home screen, not in edit mode.

Err, that was for when I thought, back on 3 Dec, that he meant his lock screen. : inexplicably missing embarrassed - emoticon: :-D

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Err, that was for when I thought, back on 3 Dec, that he meant his lock screen. : inexplicably missing embarrassed - emoticon: :-D

Well not you, but the newest poster, forgot the name, is taking about going to the edit on the home screen too.