can't change bottom row of home screen apps galaxy s3

HaileyJo

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I have been trying to figure this out too. The only way I could do it was to put the app that I wanted on the bottom row in with the other apps on the page, then long press it and it will allow you to put it on the bottom row of apps. I hope this helps. :)

mamamansfield

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Here, do this.....
Press on home screen and add whatever ap you plan to add to the dock onto the homescreen. Let go. Then drag ap from homescreen to empty dock position. The guy at Samsung has no idea what he is talking about. How these people get jobs while skilled workers are out of work I will never understand.

My two year old son somehow figured out how to delete shortcuts and deleted my Phone app shortcut from my home dock about two weeks ago. I've spent an insane amount of time trying to move an app shortcut for the all-important Phone app back into that damned home dock, and none of the suggestions I found on any forum helped besides this one. Thank you, wrs0312! This is the answer I was looking for all along. And yes, I face-palmed to the extreme when I realized how simple it was to fix.

If you're still trying to edit your home dock, follow the above instructions and feel like an idiot too! :eek:)

(PS I joined this forum just to thank you.)

Jenjenski

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have been trying to figure this out too. The only way I could do it was to put the app that I wanted on the bottom row in with the other apps on the page, then long press it and it will allow you to put it on the bottom row of apps. I hope this helps. :)

Hi there, thanks for your post, but as I tried to explain in my earlier posts, this is exactly what I used to be able to do. No longer possible.

I ended up speaking with a tech support person at Telstra last week who confirmed what a couple of people have said in this thread. That is, Samsung actually stuffed up their last update, and this made it impossible to change that bottom row of icons.

So if you're still able to change your bottom row, good for you! Be wary of updating your phone!

Hopefully Samsung fix this in the next update...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Android Central Forums

flyinghawkyo

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
unable to move any apps in the usual tap and hold manner

hi glitterpony,
I recently couldnt move any apps and I tried the 'settings-lockscreen...' advice but for some reason the 'lockscreen options' wont let me access it. However I just restarted my phone and I can now move apps around. Lockscreen options is still unattainable.

macca80

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy s 3 today and I am having exactly the same issue - it is impossible to delete, move or alter these icons in anyway. I live in Australia and am my carrier is Optus. From reading other posts this is an issue specific to Australia. This is incredibly frustrating as I now have a phone with a bunch of icons stuck at the bottom of the screen that I never use and can't get rid of. It is enough to make me regret getting this phone - I may as well have gone with an iPhone!!! I hope Samsung can rectify this for Aussie users.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy s 3 today and I am having exactly the same issue - it is impossible to delete, move or alter these icons in anyway. I live in Australia and am my carrier is Optus. From reading other posts this is an issue specific to Australia. This is incredibly frustrating as I now have a phone with a bunch of icons stuck at the bottom of the screen that I never use and can't get rid of. It is enough to make me regret getting this phone - I may as well have gone with an iPhone!!! I hope Samsung can rectify this for Aussie users.

It seems likely that this is something the carriers have requested, or perhaps has something to do with a particular legal issue in Oz. In any case, it's easy enough to get around it. Nova Launcher is free, and better in most respects than the TW launcher anyway. And trust me, even with this limitation the S3 is far more customizable than an iPhone.

JOBBLY

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have just had the disappearing bottom buttons when I try to add/edit them issue too. So glad someone else has had this issue (as bad as that sounds) I didnt realise that the australian roms /official updates stuffed this up. annoying. Im now trying another countries rom and putting what I want on the launcher and then reverting back to Australian stock rom. Thanks for the people who had the work around. Thanks again.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi !!!
I really wanna know how you put this calendar on your phone please ? It looks incredible !!!!

It would really be helpful if you quoted the post you're referring to, so we don't have to go scrolling back to try to figure out what you're talking about. It would also be helpful if you read the existing posts. Your question is answered in post #46.

tevetari

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys...
Found the solution.
Just got my new htc1. Had the same problem and was very frustrated.

The answer is this...

Instead of pushing down the icons on the bar on the home screen you should go inside the app window. Where all your apps are placed. Over there you also have the bar on the bottom of the screen.

Now when you are on the app page, do the same thing. Push down on the icon you want to put in the bar and just drag it in.

Great.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
jude, it's often a good idea to read beyond the initial post before replying. The OP is in Australia, and in that market the dock is locked down and can't be changed as you describe.

jude525

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
jude, it's often a good idea to read beyond the initial post before replying. The OP is in Australia, and in that market the dock is locked down and can't be changed as you describe.
Thanks for the feedback. But I had read the entire thread, and not everyone posting here indicated that they were in Australia. Neither did the thread title. That is why I quantified my response by stating my carrier, model and location.
Given the number of posts that went into detail about solutions for non-stock launchers I figured this information might be useful to other readers. If I am wrong then please let me know and I will delete my post.

Last edited:

Shannon Momberg

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Mine did exactly the same thing. I got around it by changing my screen more to "easy mode", then I could move the icon I wanted back there, and then changed it back to "basic mode" and the icons were now correct. Hope it fixes your issue.

s

Samarth Dave

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, its the same problem with my s3 too.
Actually i was able to move icons from the bottom row of my page but since the lastest jellybean 4.1.2 update the option has automatically removed. I spoke to the tech guy and he told me to wait until the next update if they can solve it otherwise. So there is no solution for this thing atm. Dont worry jenjenaki, ur not alone.

Ashtin Holden

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Click on ur applications icon.then hit menu and edit it will let u switch out the bottom icons:) just dont forget to hit the menu button again and save the changes u have made.

Hi, I realise this is an old-ish thread, but I have recently started having a similar problem (perhaps since the last system upgrade...?). I used to be able to change which apps I had in that bottom row of shortcuts, but now I can't. And the Settings path you describe above doesn't exist (and I can't find a similar setting under either the Lock Screen or Security menus).

When I edit my home screen, I can move/remove the apps on the main section of each page, but this bottom row disappears from view and isn't accessible to edit.

I did have GoSMS in my bottom row, but last week had to uninstall it and reinstall it. When I uninstalled it, it disappeared from the bottom row, and now I can't put it back. So I have a phone where I can't make SMS one of the primary shortcuts, which is ridiculous!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.