My first smartphone... Samsung Galaxy S4(?) AMOLED display and the Mura Effect.

mindstormer

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I did some extensive research to find out what smartphone I want. It will be my first smartphone, but I pretty much know what I want. At first, it was obvious that anyone who was tech savvy would prefer the Galaxy S3 over the iPhone 5 when the latter came out. Then Google Nexus 4 came and teased me so hard. The lack of LTE (I'm really not sure whether I want it actually... more on this later if I get a significant amount of replies) and expandable storage (probably the biggest reason) held me back, but everyone seems to agree that its gorgeous IPS display just beats the Galaxy S3's AMOLED display by a long shot. Since I am a college student, whatever smartphone I get now will be the one I will be using for at least 2-3 years to come, so I want the very best.

Further research led me to the knowledge of the Mura Effect, which plagues any AMOLED displays. I can easily watch several hours of movies/Youtube videos on my iPod touch every day, and I tend to do it on my bed in the dark before I sleep. I don't want black spots ruining my viewing experience. IPS displays don't have this problem and they also tend to have more natural colors and a brighter display. AMOLED displays are dimmer and the color saturation is better... maybe even over-saturated (a bad thing, obviously).

I decided to ditch the Galaxy S3 as it is already nearly half a year old in favor of the Galaxy S4 (rumored and expected to be bigger display, even faster than now, possibly flexible screen, etc.). I think it's not too unreasonable to say that the Galaxy S4 will be the best smartphone before 2014 comes. The disadvantages of the AMOLED display that will most likely be on the S4 is really holding me back now and I'm not sure whether it's worth waiting for it. I could get the Nexus 4, but the S4 will be so much more impressive.

Anyone have experiences with the Mura Effect? I'm really surprised that critics don't comment on this because a quick Google search shows many people having this problem.

Thanks. I'm really hoping for a lot of replies as this is my best shot at seeing first-hand experiences of S3 users.

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The screen on the S3 is absolutely beautiful. Most people who nitpick about the screen and the problems facing AMOLED screens are either being very particular or are die hard video buffs. The S3 has a friggin 4.8in screen with an extremely responsive 720p display. Its absolutely stunning, trust me. I wouldn't worry about it going obsolete any time soon. I haven't experienced any negative pixelation or clouding problems with mine.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I use mine on handlebar of my motorcycle, max brightness, GPS maps. I do this every weekend. I also use mine to watch videos during down time at work.
When does this display issue kick in?
I suspect, never.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The display on older AMOLED devices was problematic, but I have no issues with the higher resolution one on the S3. AC actually said as much in one of their S3 reviews.

Yes, in a side by side comparison the screen on the latest HTC devices is somewhat better, but I've not seen any complaints from real users regarding the S3 screen. I certainly have no complaints about it.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... anyone with more accounts? Preferably from ones who watch movies frequently on the S3?

I watch 720p movies on my S3 ALL THE TIME and they look phenomenal!! You have nothing to worry about when it comes to the S3 screen. You just ran into the nit pickers threads online. My understanding is that the Droid DNA currently has the best screen BUT small non-removable battery and no sd card slot.

Will1524

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I understand exactly what you mean dude. I've got an S2 skyrocket that has the same screen technology along with the S3 (super amoled+) and believe me I get little dark splotches on my screen when watching dark videos. It really has gotten annoying and sometimes you can even see them in screen caps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The spots are barely noticeable, you only see them if you focus ur eyes hard enough that you want to see them. The screen is amazing. I was streaming Ustream and YouTube on my S3 yesterday its like a mini TV..clear, sharp, fast, and no distractions on the screen...you should worry

Best thing is to try for yourself and see

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The spots are barely noticeable, you only see them if you focus ur eyes hard enough that you want to see them.

Not just that, but the screen has to be completely black, not just dark, to see the little splotches at all. Even when my screen is a very dark gray, I can't see the splotches if I look for them. In fact, I have my AC forum app set to the dark theme, and even though the background looks completely black, I can't see any of the splotches even when looking for them, and I know exactly where they all are.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Not just that, but the screen has to be completely black, not just dark, to see the little splotches at all. Even when my screen is a very dark gray, I can't see the splotches if I look for them. In fact, I have my AC forum app set to the dark theme, and even though the background looks completely black, I can't see any of the splotches even when looking for them, and I know exactly where they all are.

Their not dead pixels or anything,doesn't affect the screen with normal use.

My one x is better then your one x!!
/
D:
\

mindstormer

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies--I've actually received little to no responses from forums in other sites. I will be looking forward to the S4.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I understand exactly what you mean dude. I've got an S2 skyrocket that has the same screen technology along with the S3 (super amoled+) and believe me I get little dark splotches on my screen when watching dark videos. It really has gotten annoying and sometimes you can even see them in screen caps.

Except S2 <> S3.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The S4 will likely be among the top skinned Android phones in 2013, but don't forget the 5th Nexus will also be out before 2014.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
My S3 had a pretty bad Mura effect. That and a plethora of other problems made me send it back :(

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2