Nova Launcher causing my phone to partially freeze up...

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So I was having this problem before the Jelly Bean update where the home screen on my phone would lock up yet notification shade still worked. The menu button doesn't do anything either, but when I power off the phone, and power it back up. I can still access the 4 shortcut icons on the bottom, and for the most part they all work minus the messaging app. I can access messages but Swype doesn't want to load up either. Once I updated to Jelly Bean this problem seemed to be fixed, but as of this morning it is back again. Swype seems to fail at the same time nova launcher does. If I switch to regular Touch Wiz, or another launcher, and disable Swype everything seems to be ok. Any ideas here? I really like my current set up with Nova Launcher, and have been hesitant in deleting it, and greatly prefer Swype to other keyboards as well. Any suggestions or than deleting, and reinstalling, or is that my only hope here?

EDIT: I have been able to launch TouchWiz after an error message regarding Nova Launcher. And at least my phone works now, but I'd love to get Nova working properly again.

Last edited:

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you changed how many background processes can run in the developer options prior? If you had it set to none, change it to allow some to run. I had issues after getting jelly bean, and that's what it was related to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Have you changed how many background processes can run in the developer options prior? If you had it set to none, change it to allow some to run. I had issues after getting jelly bean, and that's what it was related to.

I haven't changed anything that I'm aware of but I'll check it out and report back. Thanks for the tip.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I duno man.
So you backed up Nova then un/reinstalled it and its still playing up?

Does anyone know of any apps that clash with Nova?
Nova is a very stable app mate. Mail the dev'......... although youll be lucky to get a reply from the ignorant ***** lol.
Can u think of stuff u installed when problems started?

I love Nova so i want this fixed lol :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Have u tried taking Swype out the equation?

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I duno man.
So you backed up Nova then un/reinstalled it and its still playing up?

Does anyone know of any apps that clash with Nova?
Nova is a very stable app mate. Mail the dev'......... although youll be lucky to get a reply from the ignorant ***** lol.
Can u think of stuff u installed when problems started?

I love Nova so i want this fixed lol :)

I think it's the combination of Nova Launcher, and Swype that has my GS3 going crazy. The weird thing is that it was happening before the Jelly Bean update so I can rule that out as a possibility. But so far Nova Launcher, and Swype combo is the sweet spot for me. I haven't deleted either app just yet, I've had to go back to regular TW for now, and SwiftKey flow. I'll try reenabling them, and letting you know how it works.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Which could you live most without lol?

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have swype and it works fine with it. I've also emailed the developer and gotten a response from him.

What you might want to try is clearing the app cache and defaults. Or go to settings and install the beta version instead of the standard. It might clear things up for you.