Aside from all the various cloud storage servers if one wishes to maintain control over ones' own data files & apps on ones' own computer, or on ext SD card . . .

1 Are: File Expert & My Backup Pro two of the best types of file management & backup apps for non-rooted /or pre-rooted phones?

2 Are both a good idea to use, or are they mostly redundant? Looks like File Expert also backs-up apps, and supports rooted devices with their keyed File Expert Pro w/ root explorer.

3 Are there other file management & backup apps you prefer and why?

4 I also save a lot of website links to my home pages. Are there backup apps and/or file management apps that backup home screen layouts & links from pre-rooted phones?

Thanks so much for any & all replies.
    12-08-2012 02:31 PM
    I use ES File explorer almost daily and bought My Backup Pro ages ago
    Duno y, just did

What launcher you use mate?
    I know Nova makes multiple backups, trouble is, it wont remember your widget settings so what i do is keep a couple of home pages free to save nice clock or widget or text setups incase i need em again

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    winmod21 likes this.
    12-08-2012 02:41 PM
    I use astro file manager and Web root security for backup, virus scanning and lost device management. (I get it free through my job but it's well worth it)
    winmod21 likes this.
    12-08-2012 02:56 PM
    Hey thanks funky and Shanice.
    I think I meant to type ES File Explorer (and not File Expert) above. Was also looking at OI File Manager.

funky then how do you save those "free" home pages with your clock widgets or text setups if you can't do it with your Nova Launcher backups?
    I haven't tried any of the market launchers, yet. Still using and happy with stock TouchWiz.

Shanice thanks for the Astro File Manager reference. I'll check that one out too.

Have either of you also tried: File Expert and/or OI File Manager?

Okay, for my next dumb noob boob question . . .
    Does one also need a dedicated backup app, like My Backup Pro . . to ensure a successful backup of all apps + home page layouts & website links?
    12-08-2012 04:13 PM
    P.S. Re: thread title I changed Favorite to 'Favourite' . . just in your honour, as a First Replier funky.

It's kinda like a First Responder, kind of thing.
    funkylogik likes this.
    12-08-2012 04:53 PM
    Hey thanks funky and Shanice.
    I think I meant to type ES File Explorer (and not File Expert) above. Was also looking at OI File Manager.

funky then how do you save those "free" home pages with your clock widgets or text setups if you can't do it with your Nova Launcher backups?
    I haven't tried any of the market launchers, yet. Still using and happy with stock TouchWiz.

Shanice thanks for the Astro File Manager reference. I'll check that one out too.

Have either of you also tried: File Expert and/or OI File Manager?

Okay, for my next dumb noob boob question . . .
    Does one also need a dedicated backup app, like My Backup Pro . . to ensure a successful backup of all apps + home page layouts & website links?
    Tbh i hadnt thought of that n im saving those widgets for nothing lol *hate that feelin wen i think ive been clever but have been stupid*
    Nah im sure those widgets load up as i left them when i load another launcher set-up

Thanks for the pointless "U" after the "O" btw
    I actualy prefer the american way of spellin things (not the pronounciation) and think in like 10yr time we'l b talkin txt-speak unashamedly

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:
    winmod21 likes this.
    12-08-2012 04:59 PM
    ....oh aye.... boob question... you only need that really if youre gona flash custom firmware and you have to be rooted to fully use them

winmod21 likes this.
    12-08-2012 05:07 PM
    ....oh aye.... boob question... you only need that really if youre gona flash custom firmware and you have to be rooted to fully use them
    That's what I'm tryin' to get at. What are a few of the best backup & file manage apps for non-rooted phones?
    Suppose I was just going to another android phone, and I wanted to backup everything on my un-rooted GS3; like files + home screen layout of apps + several website links that I've saved to my home screens, like say, Accuweather active satellite & radar links; various newspaper links; gas buddy; local movie theatres; college alumni stuff; American Routes; A Prairie Home Companion; Radio Heartland; Fresh Air / NPR, etc.

That kind of stuff. Can you backup that kind of stuff with just a file management type of app or do you need one of those heftier 'backup' type of apps?

Or, are you saying, that in order to do what I'm asking to do, I do need to root first?
    12-08-2012 05:23 PM
    Nah u gotta be rooted to back up app settings.
    All you can back up un-rooted is a list of apps you had.
    Your contacts will ALWAYS be backed up so dnt wory bout them

winmod21 likes this.
    12-08-2012 05:28 PM
    Think u can back up bookmarks. Wot browser?

12-08-2012 05:30 PM
    Oh boy. Okay. So my questions were even dumber than I thought! lol

Could that most likely be linked to the Scots-Irish in me?
    funkylogik likes this.
    12-08-2012 05:32 PM
    Think u can back up bookmarks. Wot browser?
    Still using stock browser. Been working just fine though. Was gonna try Chrome & Dolphin a month or so ago, but someone here convinced me to stay with stock. Flash has been working great too.

7 weeks on, and I'm still stock everything. Except for using Swype Beta v1.3, and Rocket Player Unlocked Premium.

All in all, it's hard to imagine the phone running sweeter or smoother than it is now. PS thanks for your help.
    12-08-2012 05:37 PM
    Its coolxx

12-09-2012 12:58 AM

Tune fur the irish in u

12-09-2012 01:01 AM