Anyone else lose the spoken turn-by-turn function in Google Navigation after updating Maps?

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I didn't notice this unless yesterday when I began a short journey. Instead of turn left onto ABC Street, take the 880 North Exit, etc it just says "turn left," "take the exit," etc.

I did some Googling and found other users with the same issue. They all had to revert back to the factory installed version of Maps. I did the same and the spoken turn-by-turn is functional again.

Anybody else experiencing this issue?

colang01

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue my sgs3 is rooted so through Rom Toolbox I wiped data rebooted and got my street names back ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

FatherOfNoah

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue as well. Thought I going crazy. I'll try un-installing the update as you have all suggested. I hope it works.

Just tried it to no avail. I still don't get the street names called out as before. I don't know what to do... :'(

Last edited:

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Google pushed out a few updates since I first recognized the problem. With the latest Maps update, audible turn-by-turn is working again. Try updating and see if it works.

George

FatherOfNoah

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion/reply. I've tried all that and still don't get the street names called out as before. Ah well... I guess I won't be using Navigation until it's resolved with a future update.

FatherOfNoah

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's right. For me, it would switch between the male voice and a non-robotic female voice. Now it's just the robotic female voice and no street names, just "turn right" or "turn left" which isn't very useful.

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's your carrier, or your model phone (US vs. International), but on my Verizon US stock SG3, I STILL have the turn-by-turn directions, including the street names, in Google Navigation.

If you're using Google maps, can't respond to that since I don't use it for navigation.

anon(823957)

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Apparently "uninstalling updates" in the Maps App info is a fix that worked for a lot of people. Worst case scenario, just update again in Google Play.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine works (using default maps app). Sprint S3.

I locate where I want and i can scroll through each step but if I hit that button at the bottom right (the arrow) it goes to turn by turn navigation.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney