What do you think? Stolen smartphones

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Lol as for me I wouldnt back down from a fight as sad as it may be for my phone...this thing cost me good money! I have never had anything stolen from me but just incase i do, I am prepared

We cant carry weapons (id love a tazer) not even a screwdriver without a valid reason and in a bag not concealed. A pen is the loophole and can do a lot of damage. The kids are stoatin around with machetes and no idea of how it feels to die or do time.
Im like u bro unfortunately, i dont back down n now im facing worst case 12yrs (half if im good)

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Now you HAVE to post a pic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

If you search my random chat thread the pics r there but dnt wana upset anyone here. In one my hand looks like female genetalia lol. Glad it wasnt my neck. Samurai (it was one of the short ones) are such a deadly piece of kit man... like really heavy but razor sharp :(

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Dont know about US but here, to make an insurance claim, you have to report it stolen to police and carrier and the carrier does an IMEI lock disabling the phone n i duno anyone who knows how to beat an IMEI block.
How bout in US?

MERRY XMAS!!!X

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Dont know about US but here, to make an insurance claim, you have to report it stolen to police and carrier and the carrier does an IMEI lock disabling the phone n i duno anyone who knows how to beat an IMEI block.
How bout in US?

MERRY XMAS!!!X

My insurance covers lost, stolen, damaged, etc..anything.

I love Where's My DROID, can find my phone at home, somewhere else, take a pic of the thief, wipe the phone, lock it and GPS it with a map sent to me, down to coordinates. Oh also get notified if they change the phone number on the SIM.

Just for finding it in your house or is worth having. I can't find it and it is on silent, I can have it ring a loud annoying ringtone for 10 minutes. They are constantly adding features, I like I can take a remote front or back pic and that my signal and picture taking are stealth so they don't ditch it before the cops get there.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry what I meant to say was that I recently seen news footage on the DC news about 3 individuals who lives were changed basically over smartphones being stolen. Recently Two young women were harassed and robbed of their phones by some cold hearted kids from the southeast part of DC on a metro line. Then another story of a guy who was beaten almost to death for his. Its gotten bad where I think laws should be stiffened for these crimes. I don't believe "bricking" the devices from the carriers end will curb the violence but I personally believe laws with harsher punishment s will. It may or may not work but something has to be done. That's what i was referring to in my OP. I was just in a hurry posting .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I remember hearing about that, was thinking they were iphone 5's that were taken. Stricter punishment for stealing phones is the answer, I agree.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
~ take a pic of the thief, wipe the phone, lock it and GPS it with a map sent to me, down to coordinates. ~ I like I can take a remote front or back pic and that my signal and picture taking are stealth so they don't ditch it before the cops get there.
But back to my earlier point, doesn't it kinda give ya the creepy-crawlies and ewie jeewies . . .that if you can so easily do all that, then how are we to know, for sure, that gov agencies and/or corps, or whoever, aren't doing the same thing? It kinda creeps me out, frankly, that todays phones trackers have such capabilities ? that can be "remote" controlled. :eek:

MobileMadness002

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
To those saying yas wot back down, that is not the norm. I can replace my phone in 1 or 2 paychecks, if I am alive and able to work at all. Concussions kind of play havoc on that. As for the tracking apps, they do have their use. Do I use one, no. But I did on my berry.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
But back to my earlier point, doesn't it kinda give ya the creepy-crawlies and ewie jeewies . . .that if you can so easily do all that, then how are we to know, for sure, that gov agencies and/or corps, or whoever, aren't doing the same thing? It kinda creeps me out, frankly, that todays phones trackers have such capabilities ? that can be "remote" controlled. :eek:

Well I can only do that through my app and the Commander that comes with it. If the gov't wants a pic of me, not much to see lol

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I am a magistrate in Atlanta and more iPhones are stolen and taken from people by far. Give up the phone, its not worth your life, but use a program like Where's My Droid which can both track and wipe. I can't tell you how many warrants I have signed based on tracking apps that allow the police to go straight to the phone's location, where the thief is sitting there playing Angry Birds (or whatever). With a tracking app the police can and will go straight to your phone and make arrests.

It is also true that, absent the tracking app, the phone company's location data is not specific enough to allow police to knock on a door and also takes much longer to access. A victim, saying 'take me to a computer' can do much better and faster using his own tracking app. Its my general experience that phone co.'s do not give up data to local cops without a search warrant or court order and, I, personally, require a showing that data relevant to a crime will be obtained before I will authorize a warrant or order. At least around here, police can not just go fishing in your data without a warrant just the same as they can't go through your house.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well I can only do that through my app and the Commander that comes with it. If the gov't wants a pic of me, not much to see lol
I guess that Enemy of the State movie, as well as Conspiracy Theory, kinda gave me the creeps about stuff that can track you, unawares. :eek: lol

jbird2383

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Have u heard of carbonite?? Awesone backup and protection software especially if u have a high value phone. It will lock out and locate the phone via gps.

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Android Central Forums

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am a magistrate in Atlanta ~ Its my general experience that phone co.'s do not give up data to local cops without a search warrant or court order and, I, personally, require a showing that data relevant to a crime will be obtained before I will authorize a warrant or order. At least around here, police can not just go fishing in your data without a warrant just the same as they can't go through your house.
Good on you! ;)

Nevertheless, since mobile & smartphone technology has been advancing so quickly, over the last 20 years, as I understand it, search warrants are only required in some states;

Senate bill rewrite lets feds read your e-mail without warrants

Tuesday: Federal Appeals Court Hears Important Cell Phone Tracking Case

. . .if I'm not mistaken, I think the Justice Dept. won this Federal Appeals Court case (in Oct 2012), which currently has far-reaching warrant-less wiretapping & warrant-less email search ramifications for all Americans. :(

Counter-narcotics, Terrorism & Intelligence; Greater Email Privacy Bill Won't Hinder Law Enforcement
. . . of course, it can get more confusing, the more you read.

tyrntlzrdking

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
2lsimhl.jpg

2+2=4

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Good on you! ;)

Nevertheless, since mobile & smartphone technology has been advancing so quickly, over the last 20 years, as I understand it, search warrants are only required in some states;

. . .if I'm not mistaken, I think the Justice Dept. won this Federal Appeals Court case (in Oct 2012), which currently has far-reaching warrant-less wiretapping & warrant-less email search ramifications for all Americans. :(

Counter-narcotics, Terrorism & Intelligence; Greater Email Privacy Bill Won't Hinder Law Enforcement

But the issue is finding it and even AT&T was very interested in Wheres My Droid when I told them about it. I have tested it tracked my phone to the front door of a place, with a google map. Also, a picture of them with your phone and them looking at it is GREAT evidence :) AT&T told me they couldn't get it down to a front door or GPS coordinate.

Also, if nothing else, FMD, if my phone is on SILENT, not even vibrate, and in the couch I can turn it on for 10 minutes to ring and vibrate so I can find it. I got the paid app cause I can use my own "ringtone" and the app was cheap. They just added all these other features since I bought the app.

This is the ringtone I use to find my phone if I can't find it where I am, if you can't find your phone at home with this going off for 10 minutes, you can give it up. I love the fact that it will change the ringtone for finding, even if it is silent. The other stuff is just icing on the cake now :)

WARNING: VERY LOUD
Freesound.org - "yelp.wav" by guitarguy1985

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Ive got duct tape on my cams :p

MERRY XMAS!!!X

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
. I don't believe "bricking" the devices from the carriers end will curb the violence but I personally believe laws with harsher punishment s will. It may or may not work but something has to be done.

Both. If thieves figure out that a stolen phone has a value of zero, they'll be much less likely to steal them. I'm in favor of harsher penalties, but doubt it will be much of a deterrent. Most thieves think they're too smart to get caught. Or don't think at all.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Good on you! ;)

I do believe there is a case on the way to the Supremes on the search warrant issue, but I can't remember the details. There are several different issues brought up here. One is email. Email is not really a cellphone issue. We access our email from many locations. Server resident data raises two main issues, one is whether there is a reasonable expectation of privacy and two is who owns the data. Cloud based data is subject to the agreement concerning use of the cloud, i.e. Instagram flap over use of your pictures. Good reason to run your own email server.

Location and usage information (who did you call and text) is really different, as such is really part of the business records of the provider. That doesn't mean a search warrant isn't or can't be required for law enforcement to access. Technically, we'd know it if Android allowed GPS based location info for the phone without our consent, it is open source and there are smart guys out there who actually understand all that code. Location data without GPS is, at best triangulation off the cell towers, the accuracy of which will depend on the density of sites in the desired location. If it were not so, no app would be required to locate, only a server side inquiry of the phone.

Lastly, the U.S. Constitution provides a floor beneath which the states may not go lower, but states are free to set higher requirements than the U.S. Constitution. My comments are based only on laws of the State of Georgia. Recently, the Supremes decided warrants were required for thermographic imaging of a home (looking for marijuana grow houses), but in Georgia such searches are not allowed even with a warrant. Georgia laws only allow searches for things and the Georgia Supremes held that that the thermographic image was not a "thing".

YMMV.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ive got duct tape on my cams :p

I have duct tape on my boyfriend, but that is beside the point ;)
My wife likes to put duct tape over my mouth . . . whenever we're golfing, or at a movie, or whilst shopping, or when having samples at a Sam's Clubs or Costco, or, or . . . . hmmmm, now that I think about it, it seems like . . .almost all the time. . :(