Samsung Galaxy S3 will not turn on

Bernadette Bohol

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi i have problem with my samsung galaxy s3. after updating the firmware it is automatically reboot and my phone did not turn on again. What will i do?? any help please

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Bernadette,
First thing is to remove the battery for a couple of minutes before attempting to power it on again.
Next would be to try booting into Recovery mode or Download mode.
Is the battery charged? If you're not sure, plug it in to the wall charger and then try turning it on.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Jocelyn Calleja

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
my phone doesnt turn on i try the hard reset but it wont work -,- it only comes sumsung logo and then turns of an then it does it for a couple of ours what can ido??-,-

Debasish Das

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
hi,
My samsung galaxy s3 s nt getting switched on... It was working fine but suddenly I am facing this problem, whenever m trying to turn it on it shows the samsung logo and gets switched off again... My phone s nt rooted... Can anybody help me???

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Jocelyn, Debasish.

There are many suggestion given already in this thread. I would suggest trying those, and if you still can't figure anything out ask again.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Debashish,
Can you boot up in Recovery mode?
With the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Up and Home and Power buttons simultaneously, and when you see the Samsung splash screen release them all.

If successful you should be in the Recovery menu - use the Volume rockers to navigate and the Power button to select an item.

Clear the cache and then restart the phone. If this didn't help with the boot up behavior, shut down, boot into Recovery mode again and this time select Factory data reset (sorry, this will wipe the information on the internal memory, including your contacts, SMS/MMS, pictures/videos, etc; anything on your SD card [if present] will be safe).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

sephdmx

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

Been having a problem with my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 (I747) where the phone will not power on. Problem started last weekend where applications began to crash (Gmail, browser, etc) and the phone would lock up/freeze sporadically. I even had the phone say there was a problem with encryption on the device. None of my storage areas (internal or external SD) were encrypted. I also noticed it would shut itself off randomly and the only way to power it back up was to pull the battery. A day or two later, I noticed when placing the phone on an OEM charger, it would begin to charge and after maybe 15-30 mins it would shut off and I would have to pull the battery to get it to come on again. Then it gets worse where powered up and it never made it past the Samsung logo. Now I'm at a point where the phone no longer powers up at all. I have purchased another battery (OEM supposedly), put it in the phone and left it to charge, but the phone still does not come on. When I plug the OEM charger without the battery the Red LED comes on for about a minute or two then turns off. I cannot get into download mode or recovery mode with the Red LED on. This also happens when plugged into the computer. The computer detects a USB device (computer makes a device connected sound), but immediately disconnects. I have also tried to put the battery in while the OEM charger was plugged in to see if I could get the screen to come on, but that did not work either. The Red LED coming on is the only sign of life I've seen thus far. My phone is rooted, but is still on the stock ROM (TouchWiz Jelly Bean 4.1.2). I got the phone last July and I'm 14 months into my contract so I don't think the phone is covered under warranty anymore. I didn't get phone insurance, unfortunately, as I am careful with my devices. Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Going into recovery mode won't wipe data. Doing a factory reset, or installing a new ROM via Odin, will wipe all the data in internal memory. I'm not sure about using Kies.

Vlado Sabolic

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Dear all,
I changed power port with new one,and got charging of battery. After this vibro & sound activated in moment, same down tach buttons lighted and small vibro. Now it is comletelly dead. Please what to do , but myself, because in Official Service I got offer as new one.
Best wishes, Vlado

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Vlado,
Is the battery actually charging? With the phone completely off, if you connect a charger do you see the battery graphic?

See post #167 for instructions on how to boot into Recovery mode and to clear the system cache. If clearing the system cache doesn't work then you may have to perform a Factory Reset.

If Recovery mode doesn't work you can try booting into Download mode (it's the same steps but use Volume Down instead of Volume Up).

If you can boot into Download mode then you can try reloading the firmware. Let us know if that works and we'll give you instructions.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
AshweeeN,
Simply rebooting the phone shouldn't be cause anyone to lose pictures. Performing a Factory Reset or loading a ROM will cause you to lose the contents of the internal memory, but anything on an SD card should be safe.

Joshua Si

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I have tried all possible methods but my phone isn't switching on or responding at all. Would like to of other options to save it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Josh,
What about some background:
- what model/carrier/firmware?
- what happened around the same time the problem started (phone dropped; got wet; etc.)?
- if the phone is completely off and the charger is connected, do you see a battery graphic showing the current charge level?
- does the phone start to boot (audio or visual cues) or nothing happens at all?

crown0

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey, my s3 was completely fine until this morning. It wasnt crashed or something, it was working fine in the evening.

My phone was geting charged during night and when i woke up i found it frozen ( green light was on ) and when i clicked home button it didnt react. So i hold turn on/off button and it turned off after a while. And now it is totaly not reacting to anything ( charging / turning on / pc ). Volume up + home + turn on isnt working too.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
crown0,
What model/carrier?
Have you tried pulling the battery?
If the phone is connected to a charger there's no battery graphic shown on the screen?
Have you tried a different charger AND cable?

crown0

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
crown0,
What model/carrier?
Have you tried pulling the battery?
If the phone is connected to a charger there's no battery graphic shown on the screen?
Have you tried a different charger AND cable?

Yes i tried pulling battery, no battery graphics are shown, and i have tried different cabbels + batteries.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
crown0,
Sorry, it sounds like your phone is toast. Do you have the International model (i9300)? Could be sudden death. Time to contact your carrier or Samsung.

pcloadletterWTF

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. I'm having intermittent bootloop issues caused by, what I suspect, is a faulty power button. But I just wanted to make sure. First things first:

Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 AT&T (US). Android 4.1.2 Baseband: I747UCDMG2
No root, no custom roms now or in the past.
Have had phone since 10/10/12 (boo-hiss).

The phone started to reboot on its own, seemingly because the power button is messed up. I've never dropped the phone on a hard surface or exposed it to water. It has spent its entire "life" in a case. The phone will reboot so quickly that often it won't even get past the Samsung oval animation. Other times it will and then get into the AT&T ugly-*** white screen animation. I would say once out of every 12-15 times it actually gets fully booted. When it does, I find that the power button is very sensitive. If I try and use it, it will almost immediately behave as if I am pressing and holding it. If I barely touch it (but not depress it), it will lock the screen and then light up the lock screen. Or if I barely touch it, occasionally it will bring up the shutdown options prompt (Shut down device/Reboot device/etc). This started happening two nights ago a little, and has gradually gotten worse and worse. I have not been able to take it in to AT&T yet but will tomorrow. Samsung's online customer service had me do a battery pull, clear cache and restart etc. I stopped short of doing a full factory reset because I'm in the process of backing up the phone.

If the phone is only a little past the purchase date, will Sammy pretty much say screw off? This happened by itself. All I did was use the phone normally. I may have big hands but I certainly didn't use my gorilla strength when pressing the power button in the past.

Lame.... any ideas?

***Update... after lots of research it appears this is a fairly common problem with the GSII and still prevalent on the GSIII. If I can't get Sammy to cover it, then I'm going to try and fix it myself with some basic methods. I've fixed phones to an extent before, but it may be over my head if I have to break out the soldering gun. If it comes to replacing the control itself, I may ship it off to a reputable repair site I found.****

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney