Samsung Galaxy S3 will not turn on

Ann-Marie Adam

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, wondering if someone could help, i was using my phone earlier and playing words with friends when my phone crashed and switched off, I have been unable to switch it back on. I have tried taking the battery out for a while, tried charging for a while (my phone doesnt seem to recognise being charged and nothing appears on the screen ie. the battery image). My phone just isnt responding to anything. I tried the hold the volume (up and then down), the power and home button but nothing happened, Im really annoyed as the phone is not just outwith the warranty period. Can anyone offer any suggestions, other than forking out alot of money by taking it back to the retailer or sending off to samsung directly?

Thanks

Bryan Ellis1

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, wondering if someone could help, i was using my phone earlier and playing words with friends when my phone crashed and switched off, I have been unable to switch it back on. I have tried taking the battery out for a while, tried charging for a while (my phone doesnt seem to recognise being charged and nothing appears on the screen ie. the battery image). My phone just isnt responding to anything. I tried the hold the volume (up and then down), the power and home button but nothing happened, Im really annoyed as the phone is not just outwith the warranty period. Can anyone offer any suggestions, other than forking out alot of money by taking it back to the retailer or sending off to samsung directly?

Thanks

Try what I did, take out your Sim card if you are on ATT or Tmobile, I dont know about verizon though, they don't use sims. Then try to start the phone. If it starts, replace the sim and restart the phone.

Jamiela Jadallah

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
This problem exactly happened to my galaxy S3, I found out that the power button/ lock screen button was broken. I took it to tmobile and they said that this type of issue doesn't just happen, that it is from so much constant use. I hope you get it to work! Good luck!

jvbhatt18

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I tried the same but dosen"t helped me. Logo of samsung GT-I9300 appears for approx 4 seconds and goes blank for approx 2 second than again samsung logo... this continues. Nothing worked for me. when charging, battery icon of "starting charging" appears and this icon same as samsung logo, goes back and comes again. Please help :'(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
when charging, battery icon of "starting charging" appears and this icon same as samsung logo, goes back and comes again.
If you take the battery out and reinsert it (without pressing any buttons), does the phone begin to boot up by itself?

When the phone is completely off, if you connect a charger you should see a static battery graphic, followed by a different graphic showing the current battery level and charging activity. The screen should turn off after about 30 seconds while the phone continues to charge.

Can you boot into Recovery mode or Download mode? Here's how:
- you use Recovery mode to clear the system cache and to Factory Reset
- you use Download (aka Odin) mode (showing the Android guy) to load/reload firmware
- the key sequences to enter both modes are very similar, and they are timing dependent so it may take a few tries to get it working
-- Recovery = Volume Up + Home + Power
-- Download = Volume Down + Home + Power
- for either, you start with the phone completely off
- press and hold the required keys simultaneously, and release them all when you see the swirling logo (not the static white text)

Try Recovery mode first (use the Volume rockers to navigate; use the Power button to select) and if it boots into this mode just clear the cache and then restart. If the phone doesn't boot into Recovery mode then try Download mode.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

rynotronic

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm having an issue where my galaxy s3 won't turn on at all. It won't even show the startup logo, just a black screen. doesn't come on and it still doesn't start up. I've even tried rebooting it: holding down the power button, volume up button, and the menu button at the same time, and also same combo with volume down still nothing. Yes I have tried a completely fresh working battery also ITs a T mobile version, when plugged into charger it does show the the charging graphic and appears to be taking a charge. It's also has a red led light on at times. Am I completely screwed, I took it in but the store was no help they just would send out and give a refurb. I would like to fix it or at least recover my pics and things. I may take apart to see if something is loose but any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It won't even show the startup logo, just a black screen.
So, it's not making any sounds either?
You could try purchasing a JIG, which will force it into Download mode (if at all possible).

Or you could try a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/) - I can't tell you if they can save your data (I'm guessing not) but they may be able to get it working again.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Annie Brown1

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
so I have a galaxy s 3 and I factor and restarted it then when the options came I said reboot but now when it gets to the Samsung logo nothing happen its been like this all night I don't know what to do:':)'( I need my phone and I cant get a new one anyone help me please

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what to do
Welcome to the forums!

If you take the time to read through this thread you'll find many suggestions on what to do, rather than us having to regurgitate the information over-and-over again for each new person that comes along.

It's also generally helpful if you list the phone model number (it can be found under the battery if you don't still have the box), the carrier (AT&T, etc) the firmware version that was on there (4.3, 4.1.2, etc) and your country (if an International user).

Also useful is some background information - why you did the Factory Reset; will the phone boot into Recovery mode or Download mode; etc.

nicnack31

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hoping someone can help me
I have read through all this thread and cant get my phone working
I have the Galaxy S3 GT-i9300
it did an update and then gets as far as the screen
Android is updating
Starting Apps

I have gone in to the recovery mode and cleared Cache and Factory reset
Cant get kites to read the phone
At a loss as to what to do next
Some one please help :)

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Cant get Kies to read the phone
Are you using Kies v3? If your phone received the update to 4.3 then you'll need to install the new version of Kies (just Google it).

Also, don't worry if Kies doesn't recognize the phone - that's pretty normal if the phone isn't booting properly. Just select the second item in the Tools menu (Firmware upgrade and initialization) and go through all of the steps.

nicnack31

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Hoping someone can help me
I have read through all this thread and cant get my phone working
I have the Galaxy S3 GT-i9300
it did an update and then gets as far as the screen
Android is updating
Starting Apps

I have gone in to the recovery mode and cleared Cache and Factory reset
Cant get kites to read the phone
At a loss as to what to do next
Some one please help :)

Ps I am not very technical was amazed i found the reboot mode
Really hoping someone can help me
Thanks in anticipation

Nic
:)
:)

nicnack31

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!Are you using Kies v3? If your phone received the update to 4.3 then you'll need to install the new version of Kies (just Google it).

Also, don't worry if Kies doesn't recognize the phone - that's pretty normal if the phone isn't booting properly. Just select the second item in the Tools menu (Firmware upgrade and initialization) and go through all of the steps.

I have downloaded the Kies V3 and that then says i need a 2.0data cable
Are all data cables not the same ? Will try again though
Thanks so far :)

nicnack31

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!Are you using Kies v3? If your phone received the update to 4.3 then you'll need to install the new version of Kies (just Google it).

It worked Thank you so much
I wasnt getting it into downloat mode I was going into the re boot mode
Phone working and for now running better than ever
:-*:)

patrishalla

May 18, 2014
Visit site
HELP!

I have an SIII. It was originally for AT&T, I had it unlocked from samsung for T-mobile. I've used it fine for the past 3 or 4 months. About a week ago it shut off. Wouldn't do anything. I was told the phone was fried. My four year old dropped it a day ago and it came back on for a few hours. I don't know what happened but it started to do the shutting off thing again. Originally it would only power on to the samsung screen then instantly shut off again. Today it won't do anything but it has started vibrating with small pauses in between each one and won't stop. I pulled the battery then put it back in. Same thing. Any ideas?

CaityReed99

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
Last night I factory reset my phone. now my phone has been stuck on the flashing Samsung screen for over 12 hours and I have no idea what do to. help me :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Last night I factory reset my phone. now my phone has been stuck on the flashing Samsung screen for over 12 hours
You can start by taking the battery out for a few minutes and then reinserting it. Try powering the phone on normally. If that doesn't work then long-press the Power button until the phone turns off. Then try booting into Recovery mode and Download mode to see if either of those will work:

- you use Download (aka Odin) mode (showing the Android guy) to load/reload firmware
- the key sequences to enter both modes are very similar, and they are timing dependent so it may take a few tries to get it working
- press and hold the required keys simultaneously, and release them all when you see the desired screen

Try Recovery mode first (use the Volume rockers to navigate; use the Power button to select) and if it boots into this mode just clear the cache and then restart.

If it won't boot into Recovery mode then try Download mode. If that works then just long-press the Power button to turn the phone off and get back to us with your model number/carrier/region/firmware version.

Ansahor

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!You can start by taking the battery out for a few minutes and then reinserting it. Try powering the phone on normally. If that doesn't work then long-press the Power button until the phone turns off. Then try booting into Recovery mode and Download mode to see if either of those will work:

- press and hold the required keys simultaneously, and release them all when you see the desired screen

Try Recovery mode first (use the Volume rockers to navigate; use the Power button to select) and if it boots into this mode just clear the cache and then restart.

If it won't boot into Recovery mode then try Download mode. If that works then just long-press the Power button to turn the phone off and get back to us with your model number/carrier/region/firmware version.

Hi, I have kind of the same problem, although my phone has fallen around 5 months ago and has a tiny bit of crack on the screen. There were no problems with it so far, until yesterday. I ran a software update and since then it's not able to boot anymore. First I got the Galaxy logo, but now just a white blank screen and the phone gets really warm. What I have done so far:

- Battery in - out, try to switch on - just got the white screen
- Recovery mode - no sign, white screen
- Download mode - YES, finally I got it (a screen the text), but now I would really appreciate YOUR help
I'm curious how to go on, since I'm not a phone geek at all.. So what do you do with the ' your model number/carrier/region/firmware version.'??

PS: Could the thing with the stuck power button be an issue? After putting the battery back the white screen appears automatically without pressing any button

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac