funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1355910383984.jpg

What do they do?
Whats best for general use?
Im usualy clocked at 1.4 or 1.6..
Thanx

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

EndlessDissent

May 14, 2012
Visit site
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I/O_scheduling

Basically, an I/O scheduler determines the order in which things get written to or read from storage. It will prioritize each block of data based on which process is requesting the operation or how much time it takes to complete each operation. If you want to know exactly how each scheduler prioritizes things, you're probably better off searching Google for in-depth explanations.

As for which one is best, in my opinion the best to use, if available, are BFQ, SIO, or V(R) in no particular order. BFQ is made for desktop computer use and responsiveness. The other two were both made for mobile devices with solid state storage and should both perform well. CFQ is the standard Linux scheduler. It's best for servers or similar setups. Noop doesn't prioritize anything. It's FIFO (first in, first out), so operations are performed in the order they're received. I don't personally recommend it for any reason.

And before anyone jumps in with benchmark scores, I should say that benchmarks are a terrible way to determine which setup is best for everyday use. For example, BFQ does terribly in benchmarks because it's optimized for desktop use. You would notice the benefits of BFQ, for example, if you were listening to music or watching a video while copying a large file. If you were using CFQ or noop, the music may skip as it switches between the file operations and reading the music, but BFQ would prioritize the media more highly, and the music would play through. I don't know much about SIO or V(R), but since they were made for our devices, they should perform well.

Just try them each for a few days to see which performs best for your everyday use.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Excelent mate thanks for such a rich reply.
I find benchmarks a bit hit and miss.
Ill have a play around and see.

Dare i get onto the subject of governers?

In No Frills there used to be less and i liked "ondemand" coz it seemed to fly from min to max so quickly.
Now theres more options
uploadfromtaptalk1355936628052.jpg
Thoughts?

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

arai29

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
hi,i have another about I/O scheduler..i try to tweak my tablet with app call andromizer,at first try i did notice about my I/O scheduler setting.it was cfq.but somehow my device dose not seem to run well,so i reset it to factory setting,and then I/O scheduler setting seem to be lost.the andromizer app state that scheduler setting values are not found on my device and my device can`t support it.dose this will effect my device performance? are this I/O scheduler is something that we can download from internet and install it?,thank for your answer.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
arai29,
If you performed a Factory Reset on your tablet it may have removed some apps that you require.
Is Andromizer: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.j.y.daddy.customizer&token=9EnY8adG still installed?
Is BusyBox: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=stericson.busybox&token=ltP3umil (or any similar busybox) still installed?
Have you verified that your tablet is still rooted? (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck&token=sgdv4agz)

Edit: the I/O scheduler is just one feature of apps like Andromizer; there are similar apps that have the same functionality.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz