S3's are dying after 150 days. No!!!

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
My phone is over 150 days old and no issues. My wife had one self inflicted issue with hers, which was replaced. I almost feel like I just doomed myself to a mainboard failure. :eek:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the next generation comes out in something like that kind of timeframe and everyone should be getting the newest. A minium of four phones a year sounds right

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Had mine for about 180 days, and the other day it restarted itself twice randomly, not sure if this is anything to do with it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
At first I was worried, but then you compare the number of "dying" devices with the number produced and sold, and it means Samsung has a done good job mass producing it. It's not like the Xbox 360 where you had a 40% guaranteed failure rate of a launch unit. That said, I am almost hitting the "peak" time soon as well so if anything happens, I'll be first to recant this lol.

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
At first I was worried, but then you compare the number of "dying" devices with the number produced and sold, and it means Samsung has a done good job mass producing it. It's not like the Xbox 360 where you had a 40% guaranteed failure rate of a launch unit. That said, I am almost hitting the "peak" time soon as well so if anything happens, I'll be first to recant this lol.

At first I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live with out my phone by my side. I spent oh so many night thinking 'I've had it how long?' But that time is gone and I've learned how to carry on.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This whole thing is a bit of FUD. Some devices fail. Fact of life. I could write a similar article for every device made if I spent 15 minutes in every forum over on xda. You cannot be perfect.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Think mines older than 150.... it has developed a chesty cough though :(

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded rooted international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not believing this one either... I'm sure there is millions out there that are well into their 150+ period including hundreds of pre-release test models that are much further into their life cycle. If this was a major issue I would think this would of been addressed on a much bigger scale by now.

Edit: Just so its understood I'm not saying this CAN'T happen, but it maybe on a smaller scale or possibly limited to certain batches/production runs.. Only time will tell the real answer.

Just my thought.

Last edited:

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately my galaxy bothers and sisters, I am a victim of said failure. My pebble blue went down about a week ago for no apparent reason. I had just finished sending a Whatsapp message and rested the phone down on the bed next to me. A few moments later i saw the notification light on, so i figured that i had gotten a response from the person i was conversing with. However, when i pressed the home button nothing happened. I have never had to do a battery pull with the phone but no matter what i did it refused to come on. So I pulled the battery, put it back in and still nothing. Plugged in the phone hoping it was the battery that just needed charging but still nothing. Not even the red notification light came on. No need to tell you guys but my heart sank. For that whole night I could not sleep. The next day I took the phone back to the store i bought it from with receipt in hand only to find out that i was just outside the warranty given by the store. The guy there told me they only honor a six month warranty and as i had bought the phone on June the 3rd and it was Wednesday December 13th i was out of luck. Needless to say i was furious. After much complaining he said they would try to repair the phone and failing that he would sell me a new phone for half price. Now in my country there are no Samsung repair centers so i took him up on his offer. I still needed a phone to use in the mean time so i bought a cheap nokia asha 311 for 100 bucks. As my luck would have it a few days later he call back to let me know they could not get it fixed and i could come and get the new one. Let me tell you those three days without my GS3 were pure torture. The little nokia worked fine but it was just not up to marks with what i had been accustomed to. I was faced with the dilemma of choosing a different phone or going back with another s3. As I had loved the GS3 so much and it never failed me until now i got a new one, but should it happen again I will have lost all confidence in Samsung and may have to switch.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately my galaxy bothers and sisters, I am a victim of said failure. My pebble blue went down about a week ago for no apparent reason. I had just finished sending a Whatsapp message and rested the phone down on the bed next to me. A few moments later i saw the notification light on, so i figured that i had gotten a response from the person i was conversing with. However, when i pressed the home button nothing happened. I have never had to do a battery pull with the phone but no matter what i did it refused to come on. So I pulled the battery, put it back in and still nothing. Plugged in the phone hoping it was the battery that just needed charging but still nothing. Not even the red notification light came on. No need to tell you guys but my heart sank. For that whole night I could not sleep. The next day I took the phone back to the store i bought it from with receipt in hand only to find out that i was just outside the warranty given by the store. The guy there told me they only honor a six month warranty and as i had bought the phone on June the 3rd and it was Wednesday December 13th i was out of luck. Needless to say i was furious. After much complaining he said they would try to repair the phone and failing that he would sell me a new phone for half price. Now in my country there are no Samsung repair centers so i took him up on his offer. I still needed a phone to use in the mean time so i bought a cheap nokia asha 311 for 100 bucks. As my luck would have it a few days later he call back to let me know they could not get it fixed and i could come and get the new one. Let me tell you those three days without my GS3 were pure torture. The little nokia worked fine but it was just not up to marks with what i had been accustomed to. I was faced with the dilemma of choosing a different phone or going back with another s3. As I had loved the GS3 so much and it never failed me until now i got a new one, but should it happen again I will have lost all confidence in Samsung and may have to switch.

You could have called and sent it back to Samsung. The warranty is a year unless it is a country thing.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Do u get a chance to unroot etc or is it total pan bread?

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded rooted international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox