Why can't they hear me?

determinedgerman

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I got a weird issue and I am not yet interested to factory reset until i tried everything else ...
Here is my issue:

I got the Samsung Galaxy S3 since November and upgraded to JB 4.1.1 as soon as it was available in the beginning of December. For the past few days people are calling me and I can hear them perfectly fine but they can't hear me at all. I can talk to them just fine over my Jawbone synced via Bluetooth and it works over the speaker just fine. I called AT&T and they went straight to ... its a microphone issue. After I told them that i can use S voice just fine the next step was factory reset ... I tried to make a call with/without wifi, with/without bluetooth enabled and the only time they won't hear me is when i use the internal mic.
Calls are being established and crystal clear ... they just can't hear me ...

Anyone ... any idea?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is it only when they call you? How about if you initiate the call?

I've noticed since JB more than half my calls its like your issue but opposite...They call, I answer, they say they could hear me but I don't hear them at all. I hang up call them back (or hang up and they call back) and I'm good to go..We can both hear each other. It only started this when I updated so I... I've been debating on a factory reset.

Sigh I'm so lazy though :eek:

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Is it only when they call you? How about if you initiate the call?

I've noticed since JB more than half my calls its like your issue but opposite...They call, I answer, they say they could hear me but I don't hear them at all. I hang up call them back (or hang up and they call back) and I'm good to go..We can both hear each other. It only started this when I updated so I... I've been debating on a factory reset.

Sigh I'm so lazy though :eek:

Same here. Its been happening A LOT as of late and for some time now. My brother calls me and he hears me but I don't hear him at all. I just tell him....I'LL CALL YOU BACK....STUPID CARRIER!!! lol....yeah I blame the carrier, not the phone, lol!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Its been happening A LOT as of late and for some time now. My brother calls me and he hears me but I don't hear him at all. I just tell him....I'LL CALL YOU BACK....STUPID CARRIER!!! lol....yeah I blame the carrier, not the phone, lol!

At first I thought it was as well since Sprint is upgrading the network here in Jacksonville to LTE and when other areas were being built out they experienced dropped calls... But this isn't dropped calls.. It's just people can't hear.

Looks like I'll have to maybe try a reset tonight and see what happens :eek:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, when you make/receive the next call, try selecting the Speakerphone button and see what happens. If that works then it can't be the mic, since they use the same one, just switching to the external speaker. Perhaps that'll help narrow down the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
At first I thought it was as well since Sprint is upgrading the network here in Jacksonville to LTE and when other areas were being built out they experienced dropped calls... But this isn't dropped calls.. It's just people can't hear.

Looks like I'll have to maybe try a reset tonight and see what happens :eek:

I don't think you need to reset since I did it and its happening to me. So save yourself the trouble....unless you are having other issues like I was with the battery drain issues. I'm on Sprint like you so perhaps its a Sprint issue since I haven't heard of other users on other carriers having this particular issue....that I know of recently at least!

Hmm, when you make/receive the next call, try selecting the Speakerphone button and see what happens. If that works then it can't be the mic, since they use the same one, just switching to the external speaker. Perhaps that'll help narrow down the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Good idea! I'll try that next time. Thanks!

wally27

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. Tried every way to fix it but no luck. I ended up getting a new phone under warranty. T-mobile

LaKatSlater

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this same problem, and after speaking with GT-Mobile who were no help whatsoever, I'm no the wiser to why this happens.

People can't hear me, but when I record a video everything is crystal clear?

If anyone knows why this is happening please let me know.

Thank you! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having this same problem, and after speaking with GT-Mobile who were no help whatsoever, I'm no the wiser to why this happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine has randomly stopped doing this. Phone has been working fine lately with calls. I blame my carrier lol

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Red Bihozkabe

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
i have a friend with sgS2 and she's having the same trouble.
i made some research with the phone and this is what i found:

-whenever someone calls or she calls someone her voice hears like from very far away. problem is not caller's
-if i use the handsfree speaker option the other side HEARS ME CORRECTLY. so it's not hardware
-when on skype, the same problem appears on regular calls. videocalls work well. affects ANY app when in non-hands-free option
-when she uses the sound recorder it also works well. same, just to make sure.

as for versions:

-she's on 2.3.3 and you are on 4.x.x. i found on internet that this error is very common. seems like a bug to me.
-regardless WHEN it happens or THE VERSION of the firm. a kind of bug that appears not to be fixed nor determined yet.
-appearently the factory reset doesn't work. a bug that doesn't have to do with system options or config.
(i didn't try an entire phone format. deleting all stuff. if you do, keep us informed)

conclussions:

-it's a software bug.
-it affects to MIC GAIN, and ONLY when you are using apps you have to -put your phone on your ear- for. noise cancellation also doesn't have to do
-the time/versionlessness suggests me that it's not some kind of app update or something. (not sure. i wouldn't discard)
-the bug affects to ANDROID devices, not only sgS3, or sg family.

i would suggest those with rooted phones to try any kind of independent mic-gain setting tweak per-call or per-app.
any other idea?

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the bump of a thread from 3 months ago, but I am having this issue as well on a stock Sprint GS3. Did anyone ever discover a fix for this? No matter how it goes, they call me or I call them, I can hear them clearly and they can't hear me at all. Tried a factory reset and before installing anything tried to make a call and couldn't be heard.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
OK, for those that had this issue, I got mine working. I took a needle and cleaned out the microphone on the phone, now everyone can hear me just fine.

Rory Townsend

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Lafountain

I had a nightmare trying to sort out my Galaxy S3 with its Mic Problem. When I spoke on the phone people could not hear me clearly. I tried everything
on all the forums to resolve my problem but in vain, After much thinking I went about systematically excluding possibilities of things that may interfere, until
I FINALLY got it Solved. Now I do realise that different solutions helped different people, I trust my experience will help others.

What I tried which did not help me :
1. Reset the phone
2. Cleaned the hole at the bottom of the phone
3. Disabled the Secondary Mic ( At top of phone ) which plays a role in clearing background noise

What Helped and I will explain my Logic.
I went into the Settings > Motion >
Made sure everything that i felt was linked to the PROXIMITY SENSOR was disabled, as my thinking was the
muffled or muted sound of the Mic may be associated with a glitch that kicked in when the phone Proximity detected
something close ( my face when talking)

Switched off
> Turn Over to Mute
> Palm Touch to mute

And That was it , Mic Mic was restored to full function

Hope this helps.

johnthanmorlock

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I've had this issue as well.

I've resolved mine, however. I've been using Wi-Fi Calling when connected via a Wi-Fi signal. Thus far it has worked great to save power, etc... until now. My symptoms were when I could either make or receive a call, neither of us could hear each other. I have CallRecorder on and I know that my mic is working since I can hear the recording (The recording didn't record the other's voice though.).

So, I've tried the usual, volume, apps, resets, etc., etc. When I disabled Wifi-Calling, *BAM*, issue resolved.

To disable Wi-Fi Calling:
Settings > More Settings (Wireless and Network) > Wi-Fi Calling > Uncheck

I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1.1 that I purchased 05MAR2013. No OS or app upgrades or updates done lately.

Hope this helps y'all out.

--
-J

johnathanmorlock

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I've had this issue as well.

I've resolved mine, however. I've been using Wi-Fi Calling when connected via a Wi-Fi signal. Thus far it has worked great to save power, etc... until now. My symptoms were when I could either make or receive a call, neither of us could hear each other. I have CallRecorder on and I know that my mic is working since I can hear the recording (The recording didn't record the other's voice though.).

So, I've tried the usual, volume, apps, resets, etc., etc. When I disabled Wifi-Calling, *BAM*, issue resolved.

To disable Wi-Fi Calling:
Settings > More Settings (Wireless and Network) > Wi-Fi Calling > Uncheck

I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1.1 that I purchased 05MAR2013. No OS or app upgrades or updates done lately.

Hope this helps y'all out.

--
-J

Also, just an FYI about Wi-Fi Calling:
T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling Was Vulnerable to Trivial MITM Attack - Slashdot

Jennnn

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So my phone updated last week and NO ONE can hear me. If I turn my speakerphone on they can hear me like I'm whispering or far away. I have Verizon. PLEASE HELP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci