App to SD

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am getting notifications that tell me a bunch of apps can be sent to my sd card. Does that mean I can open them from there too? + thanks guys
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Just a guess, but do you have the application app2sd installed on your phone? I think what may be happening is that app2sd is looking at the ebay program, determining that it permits running from the SD card, and telling you that. But apparently app2sd doesn't know that ICS and JB don't allow it.

I'd be surprised if it works on JB, but see what happens.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I did but forgot to post back.

Nothing happens. It is just coding in the app that says it can, though it really cannot.

Just uninstall the app, it is pointless

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
app2sd was for the last gen of phones. they had a tiny internal memory then with android 2.2 came the excelent (reason i 1st flashed a phone) ability to read n write apps from sd.
now we have huge internal memory named "sdcard0" so as not to confuse apps.
google really dont want us using expandable memory any more :( im a google fanboy but im happy with how the s3 works....apps internal, media external :)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah your absolutely tight I tried to do it and when I go into the app it says I can but then it says my phone can't lol do you think this is some things that can be changed via software update?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Nope. Or, more accurately, it won't be. Google changed this deliberately. It's probably possible with a custom ROM, but I don't know if anyone has done it. Moving apps to the SD card mattered when devices had 1, or at most 2, Gigs of storage. Now that even the cheapest phones have 8, and many have 16 or 32GB, it really isn't necessary. Put your media on the external card, and use the built-in memory for apps. It's faster anyway.

As Google said in relation to something a little different:

We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better.

-- Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
But apparently app2sd doesn't know that ICS and JB don't allow it.

Don't understand why people are blaming this on ICS instead of Samsung. Our Motorola Atrix 2 is also running ICS and the "move to SD Card" button is in the main settings Apps screen right beside clear data just like it was in Gingerbread. The button's not there on the S3 but you can see where it was--Samsung apparently removed it probably due to conflicts with their non-standard use of "SD card" for internal memory. I moved several apps to the external card on the Atrix2--they worked fine. I ended up moving them back because they actually used more RAM that way--my guess is they were executing directly from app storage whereas on the card they were having to load into RAM. Besides the Atrix2 has 8 GB of app storage and I have tons available. But my point is they DID run from the external card--ICS is NOT preventing that.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well if you don't understand you missed the way it all went down.

The short story is this.

Google took it out. If you had an older phone that got upgraded to ics, it was still there and supported. If you bought a new phone that had ics out of the box, you did not have that feature.

Again short story. Google made a decision and announcement that it would no longer support sdcards and in turn apps to sdcard.

If you do a search on the front page you can find the longer version.

Samsung, moto, htc, Sony, ZTE, any oem, has nothing to do with it. Samsung still supports the sdcard, but that's it

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.