Antiviruses

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't attacking anyone I asked for clear cut evidence which I have yet to see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I've given you Samsung, people that work on these phones, etc. If you don't want it great.

Attacking, you have attacked me several times, we were all answering the question here, which was in part, which one is the lightest on resources.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You really need to stop your obsession and read this thread again. No one is in fear and most of us are living in reality and common sense.

It affects you in NO WAY if we want AV and choose to use common sense and listen to the experts, not to mention the issue with the S3 that Samsung has CONFIRMED.

AGAIN, does not affect you, you posted what you believe, please stop trying to derail this thread into your personal crusade.

Once again misinformation! I have included the article in which it clearly states that only the "International" version of the S3 is susceptible. None of the U.S. phones are affected. That means everyone here in the states has nothing to worry about.
"The actual exploit itself only affects devices with the Exynos 4210 and 4412 processor."

I think it is important to not spread misinformation and only quote factual information.

The Samsung Exynos kernel exploit - what you need to know | Android Central

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I've given you Samsung, people that work on these phones, etc. If you don't want it great.

Attacking, you have attacked me several times, we were all answering the question here, which was in part, which one is the lightest on resources.

You have given us a weakness not a virus you have shown zero absolutely zero exploits I have given 2 clear ones from 2011. Both of which affected Chinese markets more than anything.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
JESUS HOLY CHRIST!

BACK to the OP.

I use Lookout, which has many other security features. Also, Trend Micro, a well known authority now has mobile virus, malware, etc protection. It's up to you to decide if you want to risk it.

Lookout does not eat resources or battery.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Just got a SGS3 and was wondering if antiviruses are actually a necessity. And if so, which one is the lightest on resources/best?

I also wanted to mention this is a lovely community and I've already done a ton to my phone thanks to all the valuable information I've gleaned off the threads.

Are they a necessity? No, but it does not hurt anything if you decide to use one. It will be up to each individual to decide whether to use one or not based on facts not misinformation. The whole purpose of posting questions in a forum is to illicit different points of view, gather factual information. Unfortunately, there is substantial misinformation on this thread, that so far has not been able to be backed up by facts.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Unreal, seriously, unreal..not what device people say that fix these phones, or other reputable experts, but hey, my phone is protected and I'm good.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Posting in ALL CAPS is viewed as a heated response. Everyone take a deep breath and consider what you've written before submitting a post.

Stay on topic. Keep a civil tone. If it's not about the subject of Android security vulnerabilities or security software for Android devices, it's off topic and shouldn't be posted in the thread.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I neither addressed you nor did I reply. Also welcome to a PUBLIC forum

Either show respect and do not address me, discuss me, reply to me, etc or show no respect and keep it up. You were CLEAR about what I was addressing, playing naive isn't fooling anyone.

So we are clear, pretend I do not exist.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I posted one statement in all caps, long, long after enough was enough.

Either show respect and do not address me, discuss me, reply to me, etc or show no respect and keep it up. You were CLEAR about what I was addressing, playing naive isn't fooling anyone.

So we are clear, pretend. I do not exist.

No more off-topic posts. I have been very patient.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping for a decent discussion on the pros of antivirus, as I already have my argument against them but some people like to just argue without reason.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Just got a SGS3 and was wondering if antiviruses are actually a necessity. And if so, which one is the lightest on resources/best?

I also wanted to mention this is a lovely community and I've already done a ton to my phone thanks to all the valuable information I've gleaned off the threads.
Agreed 100 %. Sometimes you will have to weed through posts to determine what is fact and what is misinformation. Ultimately though, logical and factual info will supersede any non-factual info as evidenced here.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the trade off is getting AV and having more apps available. iphone store has more control but less apps really, especially free and cheap ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Apple's App Store has, literally, hundreds of thousands more apps than the Play Store.

------------------

But to the OP: An antivirus is not a necessity. I'm not saying you will have a virus, but if you're mildly responsible while downloading apps you'll be just fine.

If you're set on using one, avast! and Lookout both make a terrific app with added features aside from just scanning for harmful programs, i.e. remote wipes & tracking.

Sidenote: Two contributers in this thread have listed very useful, factually supported information.

Good luck!