02-27-2013 07:21 PM
168 1234 ...
tools
    It's a minus because then manufactures have to design the phone different instead of slick like the iPhone, One X, Nexus 4.
    Bull
    Take the two screws out the bottom of the iphone and the back slides up and can be removed, showing the battery. Replace that screw system with a clip and make the battery easier to swap and you have the same "slick" design but a swappable battery.

A removable battery has zero impact on design aesthetics, or phone size, or any other myth. It just removes an income stream for replacing batteries.
    bigdaddytee and icebluelily like this.
    01-01-2013 05:59 PM
    I have an iPod and know of three other people with iPods that had batteries go bad. So I don't believe that Apple somehow has indestructible batteries. That's just another dramatic sensationalized Apple myth. But have fun swallowing whatever else Apple Co puts on your spoon.
    Persill and jlibis like this.
    01-01-2013 06:29 PM
    I been told him to get an iPhone lol.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    01-01-2013 06:42 PM
    Marketing surely plays a substantial role Samsung is the only phone company to compete with Apple in that regard. And it's a very good phone. AC didn't call it the best phone of 2012 just because Samsung advertised a lot. I was actually planning to get an HTC EvoLTE, but the lack of a removeable battery, and the poor multi-tasking pushed me away. The fact that I got it for $50 on black Friday didn't hurt, either.
    01-01-2013 08:26 PM
    Bull
    Take the two screws out the bottom of the iphone and the back slides up and can be removed, showing the battery. Replace that screw system with a clip and make the battery easier to swap and you have the same "slick" design but a swappable battery.

A removable battery has zero impact on design aesthetics, or phone size, or any other myth. It just removes an income stream for replacing batteries.
    I was just gonna mention how easy it is to remove an iPhone battery if you have the screwdriver, but you beat me to it :P

Edit:

Also yeah iPhone batteries aren't anything too special they wear just like any battery would over time.
    01-01-2013 09:04 PM
    The non expandable memory is what got me. I was coming from an iphone and didn't want to be restricted again because I take a lot of pictures. The hox is a really nice phone tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    01-01-2013 09:33 PM
    I saw accurate leaks of the iPhone 5 around March/April of 2012, and new I'd be going Android with my next device. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a HOX but the limited 16gb of storage had me holding out. The S3 had a gargantuan 4.8" SAMOLED display(compared to the iPhone I was used to) that I really wanted with great specs, and 2 gigs of ram. Awesome camera, and still easily pocketable. If I could do it all over again, I'd still get an S3!

EDIT: Come to think of it, I see a ton of S3's in the wild. And everyone always asks "Is that a Galaxy SIII?" But I don't recall ever seeing a single One X sadly enough.
    01-01-2013 10:29 PM
    I like the 2GB of RAM the LTE model has. Versus the 1GB in the One X+.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    01-02-2013 02:00 AM
    Personally, when the two were in rumor/early release status, the HOX had a giant Lightingbolt shaped mark against it while the GSIII had a big, GSII shaped thumbs up for it.

Then details started coming out and I learned that I could get a GSIII that would pretty much be the same around the world, ensuring good support for accessories and ROMs, or I could get a HO-X,-S,-T,-9er,-Incredible depending on where I wanted to shop and what the phase of the moon was.

The specs got finalized on both and I found out I could get a 32GB GSIII with mSD support. That was a big incentive.

Finally, the HOX released and people started complaining that it didn't multi-task because it didn't have enough memory while the GSIII was announced that it would come out with twice the memory of the HOX in the US.

Case closed. Game over. Pre-order was placed.

YMMV.

PS. Let me tell ask you, which phone do you think is already getting the leg up for next year's replacement, The GSIV or the HTC One X,S,N,G or V replacement?

-Suntan
    01-02-2013 12:15 PM
    I saw accurate leaks of the iPhone 5 around March/April of 2012, and new I'd be going Android with my next device. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a HOX but the limited 16gb of storage had me holding out. The S3 had a gargantuan 4.8" SAMOLED display(compared to the iPhone I was used to) that I really wanted with great specs, and 2 gigs of ram. Awesome camera, and still easily pocketable. If I could do it all over again, I'd still get an S3!

EDIT: Come to think of it, I see a ton of S3's in the wild. And everyone always asks "Is that a Galaxy SIII?" But I don't recall ever seeing a single One X sadly enough.
    To me One X is really good value right now compared to S3 and somehow I like it better.

But Samsung definitely has a winner.

Still like others have mentioned The One X has a certain allure to it and I love it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
    01-02-2013 12:24 PM
    Great marketing by Samsung, as most have already pointed out. Also, HTC didn't do itself any favors by limiting the number of carriers of the One X. Only one carrier in the US compared to five for the gs3 isn't going to cut it.

01-02-2013 12:52 PM
    Touchwiz > Sense helps too

sent from Galaxy Note 2
    LegalAmerican likes this.
    01-02-2013 12:53 PM
    Advertising. Samsung sunk so much money into advertising it was impossible for anyone else to compete. Official phone of the Olympics was a big help too...

Don't get me wrong, Samsung makes a nice product. I'm a former Galaxy S Epic 4g owner and proud owner of NS4G & GNex. All Samsung products.
    Advertising, plain and simple. http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...g-winning.html
    01-02-2013 12:54 PM
    Ummm, what if you have no place to connect and the battery dies? This does happen. With my spare I just do a quick swap and the problem is solved.
    Almost everyone I know that had a phone with a removable battery never even bothered to buy a spare.
    01-02-2013 12:56 PM
    It baffles me when people can't see why a removable battery is a plus. When you have a removable battery, you never need to have your phone tied to a charger or the wall if you have a spare battery and a charger.
    It baffles me when people act like a non-removable battery is the end of the world.
    01-02-2013 12:58 PM
    Great marketing by Samsung, as most have already pointed out. Also, HTC didn't do itself any favors by limiting the number of carriers of the One X. Only one carrier in the US compared to five for the gs3 isn't going to cut it.

I doubt HTC had a choice. They probably would have had a better chance of getting the One X on all carriers if maybe HTC didn't announce the the One series as three separate phones.
    01-02-2013 01:01 PM
    Reading this thread - it makes me glad to see that people are recognizing advertising and marketing over raw specs. As long as it performs to user's expectations, the actual specs don't matter that much.
    01-02-2013 01:02 PM
    Almost everyone I know that had a phone with a removable battery never even bothered to buy a spare.
    It is really irrelevant whether or not people buy spare batteries. The point is that they have the option if they want to. Everyone's needs are different. For me the first things I buy when I get a new phone are a case and a battery. Somehow I don't think I'm the only one buying batteries.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    01-02-2013 01:10 PM
    Still like others have mentioned The One X has a certain allure to it and I love it.
    Indeed it does. From a design esthetic, HTC has it all over Samsung. If only they hadn't crippled it with limited RAM and a bloated shell. (Sense)

Well, technically two carriers. The Evo4GLTE is a One-X in all but name.

Touchwiz > Sense helps too
    I actually like the way Sense works and looks. Just hate how it kills multi-tasking.

Almost? That implies some people have purchased a spare, no?
    It baffles me when people act like a non-removable battery is the end of the world.
    Not the end of the world, but isn't having the option to replace the battery better than not having the option? I don't have to swap mine often, but there are days when I simply have no opportunity to plug it in during the day, and it's really nice to know I'm not going to be without a phone for the last hour or two because I can swap in a spare. And for those of us who keep our phones for more than a year, being able to swap is especially nice when batteries get old, and start to fade earlier and earlier.

In what possible way is having no option to replace the battery better than having the option?
    01-02-2013 01:10 PM
    It is really irrelevant whether or not people buy spare batteries. The point is that they have the option if they want to. Everyone's needs are different. For me the first things I buy when I get a new phone are a case and a battery. Somehow I don't think I'm the only one buying batteries.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Last I checked, people still had the option of recharging on the go with portable battery packs.

It's actually relevant. If only a h andful of people actually bought spare batteries, does it make sense for OEMs to support user-removable batteries? Probably not.
    01-02-2013 01:33 PM
    Almost? That implies some people have purchased a spare, no?
    Some did, yes. Significant majority didn't.

Not the end of the world, but isn't having the option to replace the battery better than not having the option? I don't have to swap mine often, but there are days when I simply have no opportunity to plug it in during the day, and it's really nice to know I'm not going to be without a phone for the last hour or two because I can swap in a spare. And for those of us who keep our phones for more than a year, being able to swap is especially nice when batteries get old, and start to fade earlier and earlier.

In what possible way is having no option to replace the battery better than having the option?
    Of course it's better to have the option to replace the battery with no fuss. But it really isn't a big deal when you think of the options available.

Again, rechargeable battery packs can easily take the place of user-replaceable batteries.

And when those batteries get old and start fading out, you're probably out of warranty anyway. It's either time to buy a new phone anyway or crack the phone open and replace it yourself. Looking at teardowns, it looks like it's possible for a lot of phones.
    01-02-2013 01:41 PM
    Why do people have such animosity towards a person that says they like having the option to swap out a battery?

Endless paragraphs detailing how people should use their phone, carry a charger, etc. Even going so far as to instruct that a person should probably trash their phone when the battery doesn't hold a proper charge anymore. It's silly.

If you want a phone without a replaceable battery more power to you. But at the same time, stop the campaign against removable batteries. It isn't really needed. In general, the HOX and GSIII form factor are the same. Same basic size, thickness and weight. The only real difference is that Samsung was able to make a phone with a bigger battery and make it removable (not to mention add a SD card that can be swapped without a batt pull.)

Do we really need these things to get even thinner?

-Suntan
    01-02-2013 01:48 PM
    Why do people have such animosity towards a person that says they like having the option to swap out a battery?

Endless paragraphs detailing how people should use their phone, carry a charger, etc. Even going so far as to instruct that a person should probably trash their phone when the battery doesn't hold a proper charge anymore. It's silly.

If you want a phone without a replaceable battery more power to you. But at the same time, stop the campaign against removable batteries. It isn't really needed. In general, the HOX and GSIII form factor are the same. Same basic size, thickness and weight. The only real difference is that Samsung was able to make a phone with a bigger battery and make it removable (not to mention add a SD card that can be swapped without a batt pull.)

Do we really need these things to get even thinner?

-Suntan
    Why do people have such animosity towards a person that says a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a deal breaker?

Saying a person should carry a rechargeable battery pack is similar to saying a person should carry a spare battery.

It's silly. There is no "campaign against removable batteries".
    01-02-2013 01:52 PM
    Why do people have such animosity towards a person that says a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a deal breaker?
    Because you don't get to choose if that's important to me or any person other than yourself.

-Suntan
    bevcraw and icebluelily like this.
    01-02-2013 01:57 PM
    Put me on the team that says a removeable battery is NOT that big of a deal. Sure, it's cool to have the option to replace the battery. And it's great to have a spare. But I do not have a spare for my S3, and when I had the Razr Maxx I absolutely LOVED the non-removeable monster in that thing. It's like storage. If I had a phone with 64GB of internal storage, I couldn't care less about a SD slot. I felt the same with the Maxx battery. I wouldn't NEED a spare because my battery would last easily a day and a half with heavy usage. Just because a few do own spare batteries, doesn't mean that everyone has to follow the same route and all other non removeable options are bad.
    01-02-2013 01:58 PM
168 1234 ...