Why did this device get so popular?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Great marketing by Samsung, as most have already pointed out. Also, HTC didn't do itself any favors by limiting the number of carriers of the One X. Only one carrier in the US compared to five for the gs3 isn't going to cut it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I doubt HTC had a choice. They probably would have had a better chance of getting the One X on all carriers if maybe HTC didn't announce the the One series as three separate phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Reading this thread - it makes me glad to see that people are recognizing advertising and marketing over raw specs. As long as it performs to user's expectations, the actual specs don't matter that much.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Almost everyone I know that had a phone with a removable battery never even bothered to buy a spare.

It is really irrelevant whether or not people buy spare batteries. The point is that they have the option if they want to. Everyone's needs are different. For me the first things I buy when I get a new phone are a case and a battery. Somehow I don't think I'm the only one buying batteries.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Still like others have mentioned The One X has a certain allure to it and I love it.

Indeed it does. From a design esthetic, HTC has it all over Samsung. If only they hadn't crippled it with limited RAM and a bloated shell. (Sense)

Great marketing by Samsung, as most have already pointed out. Also, HTC didn't do itself any favors by limiting the number of carriers of the One X. Only one carrier in the US compared to five for the gs3 isn't going to cut it.
Well, technically two carriers. The Evo4GLTE is a One-X in all but name.

Touchwiz > Sense helps too

I actually like the way Sense works and looks. Just hate how it kills multi-tasking.

Almost everyone I know that had a phone with a removable battery never even bothered to buy a spare.

Almost? That implies some people have purchased a spare, no?
It baffles me when people act like a non-removable battery is the end of the world.

Not the end of the world, but isn't having the option to replace the battery better than not having the option? I don't have to swap mine often, but there are days when I simply have no opportunity to plug it in during the day, and it's really nice to know I'm not going to be without a phone for the last hour or two because I can swap in a spare. And for those of us who keep our phones for more than a year, being able to swap is especially nice when batteries get old, and start to fade earlier and earlier.

In what possible way is having no option to replace the battery better than having the option?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It is really irrelevant whether or not people buy spare batteries. The point is that they have the option if they want to. Everyone's needs are different. For me the first things I buy when I get a new phone are a case and a battery. Somehow I don't think I'm the only one buying batteries.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Last I checked, people still had the option of recharging on the go with portable battery packs.

It's actually relevant. If only a h andful of people actually bought spare batteries, does it make sense for OEMs to support user-removable batteries? Probably not.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Almost? That implies some people have purchased a spare, no?

Some did, yes. Significant majority didn't.

Not the end of the world, but isn't having the option to replace the battery better than not having the option? I don't have to swap mine often, but there are days when I simply have no opportunity to plug it in during the day, and it's really nice to know I'm not going to be without a phone for the last hour or two because I can swap in a spare. And for those of us who keep our phones for more than a year, being able to swap is especially nice when batteries get old, and start to fade earlier and earlier.

In what possible way is having no option to replace the battery better than having the option?

Of course it's better to have the option to replace the battery with no fuss. But it really isn't a big deal when you think of the options available.

Again, rechargeable battery packs can easily take the place of user-replaceable batteries.

And when those batteries get old and start fading out, you're probably out of warranty anyway. It's either time to buy a new phone anyway or crack the phone open and replace it yourself. Looking at teardowns, it looks like it's possible for a lot of phones.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Why do people have such animosity towards a person that says they like having the option to swap out a battery?

Endless paragraphs detailing how people should use their phone, carry a charger, etc. Even going so far as to instruct that a person should probably trash their phone when the battery doesn't hold a proper charge anymore. It's silly.

If you want a phone without a replaceable battery more power to you. But at the same time, stop the campaign against removable batteries. It isn't really needed. In general, the HOX and GSIII form factor are the same. Same basic size, thickness and weight. The only real difference is that Samsung was able to make a phone with a bigger battery and make it removable (not to mention add a SD card that can be swapped without a batt pull.)

Do we really need these things to get even thinner?

-Suntan

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why do people have such animosity towards a person that says they like having the option to swap out a battery?

Endless paragraphs detailing how people should use their phone, carry a charger, etc. Even going so far as to instruct that a person should probably trash their phone when the battery doesn't hold a proper charge anymore. It's silly.

If you want a phone without a replaceable battery more power to you. But at the same time, stop the campaign against removable batteries. It isn't really needed. In general, the HOX and GSIII form factor are the same. Same basic size, thickness and weight. The only real difference is that Samsung was able to make a phone with a bigger battery and make it removable (not to mention add a SD card that can be swapped without a batt pull.)

Do we really need these things to get even thinner?

-Suntan

Why do people have such animosity towards a person that says a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a deal breaker?

Saying a person should carry a rechargeable battery pack is similar to saying a person should carry a spare battery.

It's silly. There is no "campaign against removable batteries".

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Why do people have such animosity towards a person that says a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a deal breaker?

Because you don't get to choose if that's important to me or any person other than yourself.

-Suntan

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Put me on the team that says a removeable battery is NOT that big of a deal. Sure, it's cool to have the option to replace the battery. And it's great to have a spare. But I do not have a spare for my S3, and when I had the Razr Maxx I absolutely LOVED the non-removeable monster in that thing. It's like storage. If I had a phone with 64GB of internal storage, I couldn't care less about a SD slot. I felt the same with the Maxx battery. I wouldn't NEED a spare because my battery would last easily a day and a half with heavy usage. Just because a few do own spare batteries, doesn't mean that everyone has to follow the same route and all other non removeable options are bad.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just because a few do own spare batteries, doesn't mean that everyone has to follow the same route and all other non removeable options are bad.

Agree with you fully. I don't have a spare for my GSIII either. But that's not the same thing that your buddy up above was saying. *You* can think it isn't important to *you.* But you can't tell everybody else it isn't important.

Finally, I have an older smartphone that is way past its prime as a daily driver. It cost all of $10 to get a new OEM battery and now the kids use it on occasion to play games. I guess I could live with it only running for a half hour on the tired old batt it came with, but for $10 it runs like new.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you're making that choice for me.

You're not making sense.

1) You can buy a GSIII and just never take the battery out.

2) You can buy a HOX.

How am I taking any choices from you?

You're the one that said a user replaceable battery shouldn't be important. That people shouldn't care about it. You don't get to make that decision for the rest of us.

I'll explain it a third time if I really need to, but I hope you've grasped it by the second.

-Suntan

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You're not making sense.

1) You can buy a GSIII and just never take the battery out.

2) You can buy a HOX.

How am I taking any choices from you?

You're the one that said a user replaceable battery shouldn't be important. That people shouldn't care about it. You don't get to make that decision for the rest of us.

I'll explain it a third time if I really need to, but I hope you've grasped it by the second.

-Suntan

By simply saying it's not that important, I'm making the choice for you. Sure. That makes sense.

Of course it's better to have the option to replace the battery with no fuss. But it really isn't a big deal when you think of the options available.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It baffles me when people act like a non-removable battery is the end of the world.

They just probably like the ability to swap on the fly' probably carry one or two extras because of long days, travel or whatever. Good thing android offers plentiful choices. Lucky us ;-)
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense.

Alas, for a third time...

By your own words, you infer that you are "a person that says a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a deal breaker"

Here we go, for the third time... You don't get to decide that for other people.

If ansextra what's to consider it a dealbreaker, it's his prerogative.

We don't need to go for a fourth do we?

This is absurd. Some people appreciate a removable battery and we always get these other people constantly bumping in to stop their feet and say, "But you shouldn't care about that! You should want a phone like the one I bought!" It amazes me how it happens again and again.

-Suntan

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
While its true that I don't carry a spare battery for my GS3 currently.....I like the fact that I can replace the battery when it starts to fade away in the foreseeable future. Batteries usually have lasted roughly over a year for me and I tend to have a phone for 2 years so I favor it being replaceable.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Agree with you fully. I don't have a spare for my GSIII either. But that's not the same thing that your buddy up above was saying. *You* can think it isn't important to *you.* But you can't tell everybody else it isn't important.

Finally, I have an older smartphone that is way past its prime as a daily driver. It cost all of $10 to get a new OEM battery and now the kids use it on occasion to play games. I guess I could live with it only running for a half hour on the tired old batt it came with, but for $10 it runs like new.

-Suntan

I appreciate your comments and agreement, but you're just flipping what we're saying and trying to make your point using what we say. I didn't say it wasn't important to some. I understand that everyone uses their devices differently. But I am just going off of a debate we had in the Razr Maxx forum a few months back where the removeable battery side was acting like it was the biggest travesty on the planet to have non removeable batteries. But ultimately it's an opinion scenario where no one has to be convinced. If you want to remove batteries, there's options. If you want a non-removeable, there's options. Personally, I have a counter point to every argument that is made for the value of removeable batteries. But it is pointless to hash it out because it wont change anyone's mind.

My request is that you don't just quote us and then use the "I know you are but what am I?" response. You can if you want to, but it kills the fun and entertainment of a healthy debate.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
While its true that I don't carry a spare battery for my GS3 currently.....I like the fact that I can replace the battery when it starts to fade away in the foreseeable future. Batteries usually have lasted roughly over a year for me and I tend to have a phone for 2 years so I favor it being replaceable.

For people who keep their devices for two years, this is the BEST argument i've seen on the value of removeable batteries. Personally, I haven't kept a single phone for more than a year to a 18 months so usually I move on to something new right about the time the battery might start to break down. But if I kept my phone for the full two years, I would definitely require a removeable option.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Alas, for a third time...

By your own words, you infer that you are "a person that says a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a deal breaker"

Here we go, for the third time... You don't get to decide that for other people.

If ansextra what's to consider it a dealbreaker, it's his prerogative.

We don't need to go for a fourth do we?

This is absurd. Some people appreciate a removable battery and we always get these other people constantly bumping in to stop their feet and say, "But you shouldn't care about that! You should want a phone like the one I bought!" It amazes me how it happens again and again.

-Suntan

Yes. You should all have the phone I have, a DROID Bionic with a user replaceable battery.

By that token, you shouldn't get to decide that a user-replaceable battery is a positive for me.

But apparently I'm on the campaign against replaceable batteries.

My point: unless Google tells anyone who uses Android that they can't release any hardware that has a user-replaceable battery, it doesn't really matter. If you don't like that phone doesn't have a user-replaceable battery, you don't have to buy it. IMO, not having a user-replaceable shouldn't be a con because there are still ways to recharge on the go. If you want to make it personal and infer that I'm explicitly telling ansextra what to do, that's your prerogative. I'm just pointing out options.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670