Why did this device get so popular?

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
It is a fair comment to compare the two. Sammy does do some things that mimic Apple. Which I am personally fine with.

I appreciate the physical home button and it is something I am glad they cribbed from Apple.

I'm just glad they decided not to copy the overly restrictive nature, fully locked down and simple icon interface and 6-months-behind cellular technology that Apple offered at the time.

-Suntan

Thank you for that, that's what I was trying to say.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
How many do spare batteries do you have?

Personally, I've bought extra batteries for 3 out of the 5 cell phones I've had over the years. Not because I wanted to swap them daily, but because I wanted to continue using the phone past the point that the original batt was still holding a good charge.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugex...fc901dbc3c1f5e&bpcl=40096503&biw=1920&bih=917

4 million hits... Obviously nobody at all is talking about replaceable batteries.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for that, that's what I was trying to say.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

Yeah, but it goes both ways. It seems so many phone makers are trying so hard to purposefully stay clear of any little feature that comes even slightly close to the iphone that the design suffers as a result.

Look at the 4 or 5 phones with leaked pictures in the last couple of months. They all have (what I would consider) too small of a radius on the corners. Making them look like silly rectangles. If I were to put on my conspiracy hat, I would say they are doing it to stay well away from the radius size that Apple has staked a claim onto. That's silly.

Phone makers should add the best options they think people will like and be done with it. If anything, the continued success of gadgets that aren't Apple should only help to reduce this issue going forward, where good design elements are just used, with less fear of "copying." I mean, how many different ways can you make a flat, thin, rectangular gadget without having some of them look similar in some respects?

-Suntan

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with suntan there are only so many ways to put a screen on a rectangle. All (most for you lawyer like technicals out there lol) cars have four wheels, a windshield bumpers and airbags.

I probably shouldn't have brought this up but one plus that I have experienced from removable batteries is I have saved over ten phones after being subject to water damage-not exaggerated- by taking out the battery right away blowing out with compressed air then left in a bag of rice overnight.

tea candles are the duct tape of candles

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I've bought extra batteries for 3 out of the 5 cell phones I've had over the years. Not because I wanted to swap them daily, but because I wanted to continue using the phone past the point that the original batt was still holding a good charge.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugex...fc901dbc3c1f5e&bpcl=40096503&biw=1920&bih=917

4 million hits... Obviously nobody at all is talking about replaceable batteries.

-Suntan

Not sure where I said "talking" about replaceable batteries but whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I've bought at least one extra battery for every phone I've owned so far, usually about 9 months in.

So let's recap -

IMO, not having a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a big deal because there are still ways to charge on the go.

In my own observations, people (regular users, the types who don't go online to have pissing contests on cell phone forums) who have phone where the battery can be replaced don't carry spares around. I however, use a phone that does have a replaceable battery and yes I carry a spare (extended) battery in my work bag.

Apparently, this is absurd.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And back to the topic -

In my circles of family and friends, I'm usually the go-to guy when it comes to questions like "what phone should I get?". Something was different in the recent months though.

Instead of me recommending a phone from a blank slate, this was happening:

In early 2012, people were asking "should I get a RAZR MAXX?" When the Galaxy S III was released on all carriers, the question turned into "should I get the Galaxy S III?"

Gone was the "what phone should I get?" question. They were asking me what I knew about those two phones specifically.

"I heard the RAZR MAXX" has insane battery life, should I get it?"

"How does that sharing by touching phones thing work on the GS3?"

It wasn't about the processor. It wasn't about megapixels. It wasn't about storage. It wasn't about whether or not batteries could be replaced. It was about how these phones were being marketed to them.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
How many do spare batteries do you have? Of all the people you know who carry phones that have user-replaceable battery, how many of them actually have a spare battery? Are you assuming that these spare batteries are literally flying off the virtual shelves of Amazon and eBay? I'm simply going off of my own experiences with friends, family, and coworkers. I'd be curious to see if in your experience, if everyone you know who has a phone where they can easily replace the battery actually purchased a spare battery. In mine, a spare is rarely purchased.

A common logical fallacy. "Because in a very small sample population something is true, it must therefore be true of the larger population." Your experience based on even a couple of dozen phone owners can't be extrapolated to 200 million phone owners. It's just not statistically meaningful. Of the 4 members of my family, 3 have extra batteries. Can I therefore say 75% of phone owner buy extra batteries? Of course not. I believe I CAN say that all of these accessory resellers wouldn't carry them if people weren't buying them. Oh, I have two, my oldest son has 1, and my youngest has two. Not that we really need two, but a package of two batteries and a charger is so cheap it made sense to buy that way.

Excuses? No. They're reasons why it's "not the end of the world" to not have a user replaceable battery. People are acting like just because phones that don't let users replace the battery easily, they can somehow get stuck in a situation where their phone dies and they can't easily recharge it on the go. That's simply not the case no matter how much you want to dismiss potential solutions.

I already agreed it's not the end of the world. But it's certainly less convenient and more expensive.You even admitted having the option is better than not, but keep trying to prove the opposite.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A common logical fallacy. "Because in a very small sample population something is true, it must therefore be true of the larger population." Your experience based on even a couple of dozen phone owners can't be extrapolated to 200 million phone owners. It's just not statistically meaningful. Of the 4 members of my family, 3 have extra batteries. Can I therefore say 75% of phone owner buy extra batteries? Of course not. I believe I CAN say that all of these accessory resellers wouldn't carry them if people weren't buying them. Oh, I have two, my oldest son has 1, and my youngest has two. Not that we really need two, but a package of two batteries and a charger is so cheap it made sense to buy that way.

Not once did I try to say that my experiences were fact for all users. I made it clear that that was simply my observation. Your experiences will differ, which is why I put the question out there.

I already agreed it's not the end of the world. But it's certainly less convenient and more expensive.You even admitted having the option is better than not, but keep trying to prove the opposite.

All I said was -

IMO, not having a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a big deal because there are still ways to charge on the go.

But if you want to go in circles, I can go in circles.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
But if you want to go in circles, I can go in circles.

You're the one leading the discussion in circles.

You want all of us to agree with you that having a replacable battery shouldn't be a big deal. Only problem is, some peope *do* find it a big deal. You don't want to acknowledge this, thus you lead us in circles trying to get us to place your round peg in a square hole.

Anyway, unless I'm mistaken, nobody in this thread has really made any argument why the non-replaceable battery in the HOX might make it more compelling than the GSIII. So what's the point of beating this dead horse in this thread? Nobody is proclaiming that the GSIII sold millions more than the HOX solely because it has a removable battery. A couple guys commented that they liked having the option to swap batts and then you started going on about how a person "shouldn't" think its important in general.

You want to stop going in circles? Get back on topic. Why would the non-replaceable battery in the HOX be seen as anything other than a demerit against the GSIII? Start with that question and maybe we can get back in a straight line again.

-Suntan

DroidN3WB

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Week after I bought my S3 I bought 3 additional batteries + charger for $10 off Ebay without blinking an eye. It's one of the strengths of the S3 - user should be able to access the back of the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You're the one leading the discussion in circles.

You want all of us to agree with you that having a replacable battery shouldn't be a big deal. Only problem is, some peope *do* find it a big deal. You don't want to acknowledge this, thus you lead us in circles trying to get us to place your round peg in a square hole.

Anyway, unless I'm mistaken, nobody in this thread has really made any argument why the non-replaceable battery in the HOX might make it more compelling than the GSIII. So what's the point of beating this dead horse in this thread? Nobody is proclaiming that the GSIII sold millions more than the HOX solely because it has a removable battery. A couple guys commented that they liked having the option to swap batts and then you started going on about how a person "shouldn't" think its important in general.

You want to stop going in circles? Get back on topic. Why would the non-replaceable battery in the HOX be seen as anything other than a demerit against the GSIII? Start with that question and maybe we can get back in a straight line again.

-Suntan

It seems like you're one of those "must have the last word kind of guys" so I'm done.

And back to the original topic -

In my circles of family and friends, I'm usually the go-to guy when it comes to questions like "what phone should I get?". Something was different in the recent months though.

Instead of me recommending a phone from a blank slate, this was happening:

In early 2012, people were asking "should I get a RAZR MAXX?" When the Galaxy S III was released on all carriers, the question turned into "should I get the Galaxy S III?"

Gone was the "what phone should I get?" question. They were asking me what I knew about those two phones specifically.

"I heard the RAZR MAXX" has insane battery life, should I get it?"

"How does that sharing by touching phones thing work on the GS3?"

It wasn't about the processor. It wasn't about megapixels. It wasn't about storage. It wasn't about whether or not batteries could be replaced. It was about how these phones were being marketed to them.

Insane advertising. That's what made the GS3 so popular.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It seems like you're one of those "must have the last word kind of guys" so I'm done.

This isn't about having the last word, it's a conversation. In any case, I would have been more than happy to let you have the last word, if you would have actually expressed an opinion about batteries that actually relates to the topic at hand. I said as much above that perhaps there is something I am missing when looking at the battery situation between the HOX and the GSIII. But it seems that when asked to provide any relevant information, you have no response. So be it.

As for the notion of it being "all" marketing, you're making the illogical assumption that the marketing is actually creating the demand. The marketing is communicating the features to customers in a way that piques their interest. Nothing more. It wasn't the marketing advert that put that big battery in the Maxx, nor was it a marketing sound bite that put NFC support and S Beam into that GSIII that your acquaintances keep asking you about. It was the respective design teams that put features into the phone that people find compelling. The marketing teams just got the word out. That?s their job.

With that in mind, and your assertion that it was all marketing, what should HTC have marketed better? What features should they have shown off to make the HOX stand out? I guess I?m wondering if you have any thoughts that go beyond misplaced anecdotal evidence from your friends and family. Do you?

-Suntan

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Week after I bought my S3 I bought 3 additional batteries + charger for $10 off Ebay without blinking an eye. It's one of the strengths of the S3 - user should be able to access the back of the phone.

I thought about buying extra batteries, but I got a 6600mA (one 2A or two 1A outputs) recharger block for Christmas, 1.5x1.5x3" and 6 ounces, and can charge 2 phones at once, or one tablet. This one wasn't cheap at $100 but I didn't pay for it either :) My Otterbox Defender is a PITA to keep taking off/putting back on, so this solution works for me.

As for the marketing debate, for me it was the lawsuit. That really drew my attention to the SGS3...I couldn't have cared less for the ads, although there were some good ads. Apple vs Samsung really sparked my interest to see what was so great about the SGS3. After reading a pretty comprehensive 17 page review, my contract being eligible for upgrade, and a store offering $0 for the phone with a resign back in August, I bit the bullet.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As for the notion of it being "all" marketing, you're making the illogical assumption that the marketing is actually creating the demand. The marketing is communicating the features to customers in a way that piques their interest. Nothing more. It wasn't the marketing advert that put that big battery in the Maxx, nor was it a marketing sound bite that put NFC support and S Beam into that GSIII that your acquaintances keep asking you about. It was the respective design teams that put features into the phone that people find compelling. The marketing teams just got the word out. That?s their job.

-Suntan

Quote: "The marketing teams just got the word out. That?s their job."

Title of thread: "Why did this device get so popular?".

In my opinion Ry's response is valid. Sure the features of the phone made it popular but advertising is what can make anything popular.. You even just said it yourself right there lol.

Sure Samsung put in NFC but I can bet most don't use it so.. It wasn't like consumers knew it and ran out to buy the s3 for this... It only got popular with the consumers because of the advertising.

So.. As the thread says how did it become popular? Good marketing.. They also related to consumers by poking fun at iPhone line waiters and made their phone look so nonchalantly cool :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
First of all I think the S3 is awesome. i was just wondering how this one device become pretty much the flagship Android phone of the year? (Besides the Nexus 4)
I look back months ago when i was deciding to buy either the S3 or the HTC One X and was reading reviews on both which made them appear almost equivalent. Needless to say i ended up with the One X and feel like i got the short end of the stick. People never recognize my phone as anything special and i constantly wonder why the One X has been forgotten and is such an underdog while the S3 dominated in popularity? The One X is pretty great, but i think i should have just gotten the S3 at the time.
Could it be all the advertising? What made this phone so popular? Opinions? Sound off here ! Let me know what you think !

(P.S I just bought the Note II)

What makes it so great?
Voice control, motion control, being able to take screen shots by simply swiping your hand across the screen instead of some weird button combination, picture in picture native to the device, taking pictures by simply saying cheese, shoot, or capture, big screen, light weight, excellent build quality, expandable storage, replaceable batteries (battery dies in the middle of the day? Simply replace it and keep it moving, no need to tether yourself to an outlet), panoramic camera, taking pictures while shooting video, the ability to s beam an entire movie, watching videos while checking email on the pop-up video player, different color choices, ability to completely customize the phone with a new look by simply changing the battery door, great camera, and 2 gigabytes of memory.

Why is there any question of this being the best android device?

Why WOULDN'T it become popular?

Only device better is the note 2 because it does everything and adds more function plus a beefed up processor to go with the 2 gigs of ram.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power