Why did this device get so popular?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I think you like splitting hairs. A LOT.

Slow end to the week at the office after the holidays I suppose.

Splitting hairs? Indeed. I was trying to have a conversation about the topic instead of just a list of comments where people put out their individual thoughts and leave it at that.

Anyway, happy new year.

-Suntan

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I mis-read the intentions of the OP when he stated:

I was of the understanding that the OP intended to compare the GSIII vs. the HOX.

In any case, if you don't want to answer the question I put forth, that's cool. I wasn't asking anyone to "cater" to my anything. Just asking a question during a conversation.

Have a good one.

-Suntan

That was one aspect of the question that he was posing with the title and the body of his post. You chose to focus entirely on that one aspect, I chose to focus on the broad question that was posed. It's totally fine with me, i'm just saying that I am not responsible for keeping my responses specific to your boundaries.

Beside all of that, I already told you that I am not saying one choice is better than the other in terms of battery advantages or disadvantages. So there's really nothing to debate. I am simply stating that for every "disadvantage" that someone might bring up, there is an accessory out there in the wild that negates it and evens out.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
What advantage does the non-removable battery on the HOX offer? Or is there no advantage?

-Suntan

I would also argue that in most cases there are no real advantages of a non removable battery. To me it is largely just a matter of personal preference. I suppose if a person were to pay an extreme amount of attention to detail that a phone with a non-removable battery could be a more "solidly built" device, but that doesn't really qualify in the GS3 vs HOX debate as all Samsung phones are likely to be a variant of plastic which has a somewhat cheaper feel to some people. The only case where I could see it being an advantage is if the manufacturer was linking multiple smaller batteries laid out around the other circuit boards to add additional capacity that would not be available with a single battery block.

Not sure where I said "talking" about replaceable batteries but whatever floats your boat.

IMO, not having a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a big deal because there are still ways to charge on the go.

As for this ongoing back and forth, the above quote sums up what I see the issue as stemming from. Ry appears to be saying it is his opinion that a user-replaceable battery shouldn't be a big deal. The problem is that statement is dictating that in his opinion no one should make a big deal about a non-removable battery and that is where the problem lies. it is a blanket statement that says other people shouldn't care about this. Suntan is saying that to make an all inclusive statement based on your personal experiences and opinions is presumptuous and won't apply to everyone. Some will find it important and some won't. A person can make the statement that they don't find something as a reason to not buy a device, and that is fine, but we should not imply our needs are those of everyone else. That is what makes Android great compared to Apple devices. There are device types for everyone and not a one size fits all mentality.

Now unless I am way off base can we move past the merits of a removable battery?

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
No consumers ran out and bought S3s because it has expandable memory and a removable battery. lol.

Good marketing and building enough phones to be able to put the same physical phone in all carrier stores guaranteed a win for Samsung. Look at the Nexus 4, quad-core, great price unlocked - yet mainstream consumers probably have never even heard of it.

I did. I love controlling how much and what I keep on my SD. I also would rather be able to swap batteries as I hate having an umbilical and 2 device to charge. I would also rather if my battery took a dump, I not have to send my phone out for repair. I also hope that when the new battery technology hits, they make a compatible battery for my phone.

I started with iPhone then I bought a thunderbolt and found out the positives that Android had to offer. I got a RAZR to replace my thunderbolt and absolutely hated not being able to just switch batteries.

One thing that has absolutely pissed me off was trying to get a battery and charger for the s3 from VZW after I lost my other ones. I told them if it wasn't an iPhone or droid branded they didn't have a damn thing for it. I have to get mine from sprint.

I think this s3 has opened a lot of eyes to android. It is by far the bast phone I've had to date. The features, ease of use, and dependability has made it a home run for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I did. I love controlling how much and what I keep on my SD. I also would rather be able to swap batteries as I hate having an umbilical and 2 device to charge. I would also rather if my battery took a dump, I not have to send my phone out for repair. I also hope that when the new battery technology hits, they make a compatible battery for my phone.

I started with iPhone then I bought a thunderbolt and found out the positives that Android had to offer. I got a RAZR to replace my thunderbolt and absolutely hated not being able to just switch batteries.

One thing that has absolutely pissed me off was trying to get a battery and charger for the s3 from VZW after I lost my other ones. I told them if it wasn't an iPhone or droid branded they didn't have a damn thing for it. I have to get mine from sprint.

I think this s3 has opened a lot of eyes to android. It is by far the bast phone I've had to date. The features, ease of use, and dependability has made it a home run for me.

The "lol" at the end was there for a reason. ;)

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The "lol" at the end was there for a reason. ;)

Yes, it sounded like you were laughing at someone for thinking someone might have bought the phone for those attributes-thats the way I interpreted it anyway.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it sounded like you were laughing at someone for thinking someone might have bought the phone for those attributes-thats the way I interpreted it anyway.

I could be wrong because Ry and I have disagreed many times in the past, but I think his point is that no one bought the phone only for those reasons. And I think it's safe to say you didn't either. It might have influenced decisions to buy, but there are many other aspects that would have affected the popularity other than these. Pretty sure if it only had 64GB internal and NO SD slot, many people would have still purchased it.

Persill

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the ads did a good job of making people realize that there is such thing as an alternative to the iPhone !
On a side note, it may be wrong but i am very much enjoying these battery and expandable memory arguments..

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the ads did a good job of making people realize that there is such thing as an alternative to the iPhone !
On a side note, it may be wrong but i am very much enjoying these battery and expandable memory arguments..
Yeah, I enjoy reading the point, counter point as well. It's all in good fun as long as their is no name calling, attacks, or mudslinging......................Wait a second I am not a moderator...........carry on.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong because Ry and I have disagreed many times in the past, but I think his point is that no one bought the phone only for those reasons. And I think it's safe to say you didn't either. It might have influenced decisions to buy, but there are many other aspects that would have affected the popularity other than these. Pretty sure if it only had 64GB internal and NO SD slot, many people would have still purchased it.

How do you know why I bought it? That's like me arguing with you over what color your house is when I've never seen it.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
How do you know why I bought it? That's like me arguing with you over what color your house is when I've never seen it.

Because if the only two reasons you bought the phone was because of the SD slot and removeable battery, your brain would have exploded because there are 50 other options out there that meet the same rigorous criteria. I see your point that no one can REALLY say why someone did or did not buy something, but be real. I know you're trying to make a point, but lets be real here. It's pointless to even converse if you are seriously going to say the ONLY reasons you bought the S3 was for those 2 reasons. There's too many amazing features aside from those.

And if you want to go with the house analogy, that would be like me saying I only bought my house cause it had a roof and a door. Come on man. Let's keep the conversation interesting without being ridiculous.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Back to the topic, advertisement really made it huge. Whatever the reason, it's really noticed by the isheep here. :thumbup::D

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

tvillan401

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
First smartphone DROID incredible HTC, second was DROID 3 by moto, now I'm on the s3. I love this phone Samsung makes a great product that's for sure. Never buying anything from Motorola ever again. Maybe it was just my personal experience but the DROID 3 didn't receive any support at all. The fact that Samsung seems to support phones with updates and not forget about their customers. Idk

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
That is the two different reasons that set it apart from its competition. I mean damn, yes its a phone that's a reason,it has a screen

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That is the two different reasons that set it apart from its competition. I mean damn, yes its a phone that's a reason,it has a screen

Don't bother, it's not getting through.

Some people don't want to remember history. The reality is that for a lot of us, waiting for the "next generation" to come out, the HOX and the GSIII were the only two contenders in the race (4.5"+ plus, LTE, S4 soc.) The GSIII had a removeable battery and an mSD slot but the HOX didn't. That *was* the deciding factor for a number of people. Yet, now as then some people won't accept this.

-Suntan

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Back to the topic, advertisement really made it huge. Whatever the reason, it's really noticed by the isheep here. :thumbup::D

iSheep? Well now they're Samsheep.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
iSheep? Well now they're Samsheep.

The Shepherd is apple lol. And im not a Samsheep, I still prefer HTC over Samsung but Samsung got things right with their note 2 And Gs3, both are awesome.

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Samsung, since the Galaxy S Fascinate, has been amping up and hit its peak with the SIII. I can't say the SIII doesn't deserve the attention, as it's a great phone, but Samsung's marketing was brilliant. HTC just can't compete with that kind of advertising. If LG can continue to get there story straight then they might be able to get back into the game.

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung, since the Galaxy S Fascinate, has been amping up and hit its peak with the SIII. I can't say the SIII doesn't deserve the attention, as it's a great phone, but Samsung's marketing was brilliant. HTC just can't compete with that kind of advertising. If LG can continue to get there story straight then they might be able to get back into the game.

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums

I'm glad the higher ups at HTC even admit that their marketing efforts sucked.