Galaxy S3 charging issue

Axels15

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Fairly new to the forums, but I wanted to see if anyone had ever heard of anything like this.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that every once in a while, maybe once a week, after my galaxy s3 would be off and charging over night, I would wake up and see it says 100% charged. Which is normal. But then, once I turn it on, the battery would only have a 47% charge, or a 86% charge, etc.

So it would say it was 100% percent while off, but then once it was on it would show a significant difference in charge. You can see how this would get annoying. It doesn't do it every day, and I've ordered a new battery, and I'm praying that is the only issue.

Anyone have ideas on what that could be? I've had the phone since early July, and I haven't really had any other issues with it. I love the phone, my first smart phone, and I'm just hoping I can get this resolved.

(I saw other threads on charging issues, but this one seemed unique to those. If there is already a thread dedicated to this issue, I'd really appreciate it if you could direct me to it).

Thanks!

xmasnut

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I also have been having the same issue. I leave my phone turned on when charging and I charge it overnight. I used to do this with my Iphone with no problems. I am now hearing that you can not charge a Galaxy s3 past 100%. In other words, do not put it on the charger all night and leave it. I hear that it needs to be removed from the charger as soon as it reaches 100%. Is this true??????I am not sure if this will help. Damage may have already been done to the Charging system or battery????? I unplugged my phone this morning. my meter said 100%, within 5 minutes it had dropped to 97% and within an hour it was down to 85% and 45 minutes later it was down to 65%. I've had drops from 100% to 53% in less than 15 mins before. All this, with nothing running. No apps running, no movies playing no texts or phone calls. Can someone please tell us if it is because we have left it on a charger beyond it's reaching capacity and if so have we ruined the phone or the battery????? Can we save this mess????

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I also have been having the same issue. I leave my phone turned on when charging and I charge it overnight. I used to do this with my Iphone with no problems. I am now hearing that you can not charge a Galaxy s3 past 100%. In other words, do not put it on the charger all night and leave it. I hear that it needs to be removed from the charger as soon as it reaches 100%. Is this true??????I am not sure if this will help. Damage may have already been done to the Charging system or battery????? I unplugged my phone this morning. my meter said 100%, within 5 minutes it had dropped to 97% and within an hour it was down to 85% and 45 minutes later it was down to 65%. I've had drops from 100% to 53% in less than 15 mins before. All this, with nothing running. No apps running, no movies playing no texts or phone calls. Can someone please tell us if it is because we have left it on a charger beyond it's reaching capacity and if so have we ruined the phone or the battery????? Can we save this mess????

It has nothing to do with leaving it on the charger all night. These phones have a fail-safe built in them to avoid over-charging. When the phone gets to around 98% or so, it stops charging. This is to keep the battery from overheating and bursting into flames. You can leave the charger plugged in as much as you want and it won't damage the phone.

The battery life your'e experiencing is wildly abnormal, though. I don't even think that zero cell signal would drain it that fast. Either your phone or your battery is defective. Take it back to the carrier and have them check it out.

rlfisher

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
It has nothing to do with leaving it on the charger all night. These phones have a fail-safe built in them to avoid over-charging. When the phone gets to around 98% or so, it stops charging. This is to keep the battery from overheating and bursting into flames. You can leave the charger plugged in as much as you want and it won't damage the phone.

Maybe Samsung should share some tips with Boeing...

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
In other words, do not put it on the charger all night and leave it. I hear that it needs to be removed from the charger as soon as it reaches 100%. Is this true??????I am not sure if this will help. Damage may have already been done to the Charging system or battery?????

This is NOT true.

The battery pack itself has over charge (and under discharge) protect. The electronics in the phone has over charge and under discharge protection. The battery is double protected. A person could not match the smarts in the charging electronics that are automatic.
Plug it in and leave it plugged in as often and as long as you can. That is generally the way it works. Anyone that claims that you have to pull the plug at full charge, or run it completely dead all of the time, is an idiot.

As for the comment about unplugging the charger, that is related to energy use and Energy Star ratings. They want you to unplug the charger from the wall to save a fraction of a watt when it is not needed.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I unplugged my phone this morning. my meter said 100%, within 5 minutes it had dropped to 97%
This is completely normal. See: http://phandroid.com/2010/12/25/you...is-lying-to-you-and-its-not-such-a-bad-thing/

and within an hour it was down to 85% and 45 minutes later it was down to 65%. I've had drops from 100% to 53% in less than 15 mins before. All this, with nothing running. No apps running, no movies playing no texts or phone calls. Can someone please tell us if it is because we have left it on a charger beyond it's reaching capacity and if so have we ruined the phone or the battery????? Can we save this mess????

This is not normal. There area few things that can cause sudden battery drops like this. Check out this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...android-system-eating-your-battery-check.html

And if you're on AT&T, this one: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/257299-random-battery-plummet.html

Next time you have very rapid battery drain, post some screen shots. Go to the battery page in Settings, and capture that. Then tap on the graph, and capture that screen shot. Go back to the prior page, tap the Screen row, and capture that screen. Post all three in a thread here.

Eric Rhodes1

May 20, 2014
Visit site

The battery life your'e experiencing is wildly abnormal, though. I don't even think that zero cell signal would drain it that fast. Either your phone or your battery is defective. Take it back to the carrier and have them check it out.
I disagree. The battery life/charge issue he's experiencing is NOT wildly abnormal. I've experienced it with all my S3's. I think it's an f'ed up problem they've always had and refuse to fix.

Eric Rhodes1

May 20, 2014
Visit site
"Next time you have very rapid battery drain, post some screen shots. Go to the battery page in Settings, and capture that."
Oh! And that reminds me!!!!! I tried looking for that last night. The "battery page in settings?" is GONE!!!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The "battery page in settings?" is GONE!
That would be very unusual - you're looking in Settings -> More (if using the Tab view)? Are you running the stock firmware?
Are you using a 3rd party launcher?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX