Keep getting "Complete action using...."

Alexandros Rory

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
It is indeed a change in operating system. That happened to me after sending my phone to Samsung for repair and they upgraded the software. I called them back with regards to this change (ie not having the option of "Complete action with" when I wan to make a call) and they said that is a feature of the new software. May be is an Apple patent that they are forced to remove... Who knows?

Corlis Taylor

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
When that window comes up... just click the program you want to use... and then choose "Always..." and it shouldn't ask you again.

Choosing the "Always.. option hasn't been very effective for me even though my settings are default for the Apps in question.
I constantly receive the "Complete action using" window while using stock 4.3 browser with chrome.

Posted via Android Central App

meggie777

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
My S4 is doing the same thing..have had it 4 months..would get the "complete action using" and make my defaults as needed. Starting today, I can't do anything without that screen showing up..multiple times with one action most of the time.. I have cleared cache and defaults..someone give me a new idea before I pitch this phone that I used to love. .

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
meggie777,
Welcome to the forums!

Go to Settings -> Application manager, press the Menu button and select 'Reset app preferences' - this will reset all default selections and it may correct your problem. YMMV.

Note: it's still pretty common to run into one or two stubborn apps that don't care what default selection you have made.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Mexypko

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Reseting app preferences doesn't work. The problem seems to be much deeper. I recently changed from Apple but I am starting to regret that. This thing keeps poping up, so please someone smart HELP ME!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
someone smart HELP ME!
All the smart people hang out over on XDA - perhaps you can get some help with your as-yet-to-be-described issue there. Or if you're still within the 14 day exchange period you can go back to an iPhone.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

infinitempg

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Nexus 7. for example I have an email with a link in it when I click on the link I get the message just once /always asking what I want to open the link with. select chrome and select always and it opens the link in Chrome and often it will ask me more than once before the link opens. I close chrome go back to the email click on the exact same link and it asks the same questions again the same way even though I selected always. so does the new version of Android OS not understand the word "Always"???????

infinitempg

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
went to the App Store and installed Default App Manager Lite, set chrome as default and went back to the email. clicked on the link and got the same prompt for just once/ always. and the link I'm going to I get that prompt 3 times before it opens the web page. ::sigh::

infinitempg

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
On my Nexus 7 I have some URL links in Gmail messages and to get them to open in Chrome I have to "PICK" Chrome "FOUR" (yes, that's 4!!!) times to get Chrome to open the link. If this is "as designed" then I would suggest we Android users politely invite the programmer of this gem out in a field and go totally Office Space on them.... :mad:

infinitempg

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
This isn't "as designed." It's never been an issue for me.

"Not an issue" for you or "doesn't happen" to you? If it happens and yet not an issue I'd have to ask why it's not "an issue" to click something SEVEN times to open one URL link? I click the link in the email (ONE), get asked what to open it with and have to click on Chrome (TWO), then Always (THREE), then get asked again and click on Chrome (FOUR) then Always (FIVE) then get asked again and click Chrome (SIX) and then Always (SEVEN) and then the link opens in Chrome. In some cases it's just three but it's NEVER ONE. Should be one... set default app to use to open a file/link, one click, open the page/file.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Should be one
What happens if you select the stock Internet browser (or any of the bazillion other browsers available in the Google Play Store)? Perhaps it's just lousy programming on the part of the Chrome team...

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

infinitempg

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Great suggestion!!! I had installed the Photon Browser to make up for the totally insane lack of Flash support in Chrome for Android (don't EVEN get me started on that idiotic aspect of Chrome on Android) and when I picked Photon and Always it went right to the browser. When I went back and clicked on the link again it went directly to the browser page, no extra clicks at all!!!!

Guess what browser just because my default browser? I'll give you a bit, is definitely 100% NOT CHROME.

infinitempg

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Doing this and then following the normal instructions should clear everything up. I had this problem before the last update and that took care of it for me.

Nope. Cleared cache and cleared app defaults and same thing. I am looking at a link to a geocaching page like this one here Geocaching > Hide and Seek a Geocache > Premium Member Only Cache from a gmail message. I click the link and get the window asking what app I want to use to open the page, I make sure Chrome is highlighted and I click always, I get asked that three times before it opens the link. I can immediately go back to that email click on the link and get the same three prompts though I said ALWAYS.

I can go to that same email, click on that link and select Photon Browser and click Always and it immediately opens the page. I can go back to the email, click on the link and it opens the page in Photon WITHOUT ASKING AGAIN like it should. But that doesn't work if I select Chrome. Clearing the app defaults or cache data doesn't do a thing to change that.

(Added note: the link for geocaching is for a member page so unless you have a membership you might not get the same results but doesn't change the actions and results I'm seeing)

Last edited:

infinitempg

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Doing this and then following the normal instructions should clear everything up. I had this problem before the last update and that took care of it for me.

Nope. Cleared cache data and cleared app defaults and still does the exact same thing. Here's the specifics and maybe someone else can try it.

On my Nexus 7 fully up to date, cleared cache data and app defaults. Have an email in my Inbox in Gmail that has a URL link included for a geocaching webpage for example : GC1CYHM Tastes Like Chicken (Traditional Cache) in Hawaii, United States created by Anyankachan (it does the same thing for every geocaching webpage). I click on the link and I get the popup window asking what app I want to use to complete my action. I select Chrome (it's already highlighted) and click Always to make it always open with Chrome. It pulled Chrome up on my screen but immediately pops up another window asking me the same thing again. I once again pick Chrome and Always. It immediately pops up the same thing again and for a 3rd time I select Chrome and Always. Now if I close Chrome and go back to the email I had open and click on the link again, I go through answering the three window prompts all over again same as before.

Now if I open that email and click on the link and select Photon Browser instead of Chrome and click Always it immediately pulls up the webpage, no additional prompts. Now if I exit the Photon Browser, go back to the email and click the link again it immediately opens the webpage WITHOUT ASKING AT ALL like it should do. But it does not work if I pick Chrome.

Hope that gives a better understanding but my understanding right now is that Photon Browser works correctly AND can display Flash videos. Gee, not a tough choice to see what browser I'll be using (and anyone who likes things to work as they should).

Last edited by a moderator:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
"Not an issue" for you or "doesn't happen" to you? If it happens and yet not an issue I'd have to ask why it's not "an issue" to click something SEVEN times to open one URL link? I click the link in the email (ONE), get asked what to open it with and have to click on Chrome (TWO), then Always (THREE), then get asked again and click on Chrome (FOUR) then Always (FIVE) then get asked again and click Chrome (SIX) and then Always (SEVEN) and then the link opens in Chrome. In some cases it's just three but it's NEVER ONE. Should be one... set default app to use to open a file/link, one click, open the page/file.

Doesn't happen to me. Sorry for not being clear.

zilligy

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Keep getting "Complete action using...."

Complete action using Touchwiz" SOLVED!! (I think...)

So, for some reason over the last few days, I've been getting the message "Complete action using... Touchwiz Easy or Touchwiz Home" every time I pressed the Home button.If this is proving to be the bane of your life also, fear no more. I think I have found the solution. (At least, it has worked for me over the past day or so).Go to Settings>More>Application Manager>All and scroll down to SetDefaultLauncher. Clear cache and clear defaults.My phone is working again as it should, no more ANNOYING messages... Basically, I am back in love with my S4. Hope this works for you. Let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Complete action using Touchwiz" SOLVED!! (I think...)

So, for some reason over the last few days, I've been getting the message "Complete action using... Touchwiz Easy or Touchwiz Home" every time I pressed the Home button.If this is proving to be the bane of your life also, fear no more. I think I have found the solution. (At least, it has worked for me over the past day or so).Go to Settings>More>Application Manager>All and scroll down to SetDefaultLauncher. Clear cache and clear defaults.My phone is working again as it should, no more ANNOYING messages... Basically, I am back in love with my S4. Hope this works for you. Let me know.

infinitempg

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Keep getting "Complete action using...."

Sounds like a different problem as what we're getting is the prompts opening files and the apps associated with them. Also don't have those settings on a Nexus 7 because Touchwiz is a Samsung feature.