[SOLVED] How do you move the cursor up/down/left/right using ConnectBot on the SG3?

banjo67xxx

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

On my HTC the centre button acted like a touchpad so I could use that to move the cursor around in the bash command line, but on the SG3 its just a button. Using the Samsung builtin keyboard on the 3rd page of non-alpha characters I see 2 sets of symbols shaped like arrows but I can't use any of these to scroll through the bash history (and with MultiLing keyboard there isn't even any arrows at all).

How do I recall the previous bash command and edit it on an SG3?

Regards,
Banjo.

Last edited:

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: How do you move the cursor up/down/left/right using ConnectBot on the SG3?

Connect an external keyboard? There is no direction pad on the s3

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Use a different keyboard with better arrows mate but remedber u can just touch the spot in text input to place the cursor (sorry if thats mega obv' mate lol)

Smart keyboard pro lets use volume button to go front or back which is handy and it can be set to go to a number and arrow pad with a gesture.

DONT buy the app, the devs are the worst/non existant ive ever encountered n the free versions fine :)

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Connect an external keyboard? There is no direction pad on the s3

Baker theres tens or hundreds of keyboards in play store mate :)

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

Hey, I got usb otg working, I'm all about external add ons at the moment

banjo67xxx

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Use a different keyboard with better arrows mate but remedber u can just touch the spot in text input to place the cursor (sorry if thats mega obv' mate lol)

Thanks, but that doesn't work in ConnectBot

Smart keyboard pro lets use volume button to go front or back which is handy and it can be set to go to a number and arrow pad with a gesture.

Yeah, that allows you to move the cursor left/right and I can get the same in MultiLing keyboard if configured. If not configured in the keyboard app, the volume up/down changes the font size. But that's not what I want!

I want to be able to press cursor up/down to scroll through bash history, not just cursor left/right to edit the current command line.

It seems that some keyboard apps allow you to configure the volume control for left/right, and I need to use a feature of ths ssh client app to move the cursor up/down. Anyone know how to do so with ConnectBot?

Perhaps I need another ssh client?

Regards,
Banjo

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Wii controller. Seriously!

MERRY XMAS!!!X

banjo67xxx

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks.

So the final solution is to use MultiLing and set bash to use the vi reditor as MultiLing has a concise layout and the full simplified Chinese character set. After using set -o vi I can recall my command history with Esc k

As a plan B, I have installed the hackers keyboard using the 5-line keyboard configuration as its cursor keys work but it doesn't support simplified Chinese.

Regards,
Banjo

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084