Help my wife enjoy the phone

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Might as well get her the I phone 5 or rom her phone to miui

Although most if not all the stuff mentioned can be fixed, it's may seem tedious or bother some to her

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus :(

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
She just isn't a techie at all. She has had smart phones for a while (palm centro, then blackberry bold, then iphone 4) and said she wanted to feel like her new phone was something different again. She also loved the size of the screen. But I guess that Android hasn't reached iOS levels of ease of use of user friendliness. I still think I will try customizing some things to see if she get comfortable, otherwise we'll just return it this weekend. The choice was really screen size or iOS, and I had thought that Android wouldn't be a problem now. I mean, a lot of non-tech people are buying the SIII and enjoying it, even if they have no interest in customization or widgets or things like that, right?

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
She just isn't a techie at all. She has had smart phones for a while (palm centro, then blackberry bold, then iphone 4) and said she wanted to feel like her new phone was something different again. She also loved the size of the screen. But I guess that Android hasn't reached iOS levels of ease of use of user friendliness. I still think I will try customizing some things to see if she get comfortable, otherwise we'll just return it this weekend. The choice was really screen size or iOS, and I had thought that Android wouldn't be a problem now. I mean, a lot of non-tech people are buying the SIII and enjoying it, even if they have no interest in customization or widgets or things like that, right?

Ever since Android 4.0... Android has been very user friendly. There are many non-tech people who use Android phones now... and they wouldn't be dominating the market right now if they were hard to use.

The problem is your wife... who seems to be closed minded.

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Ever since Android 4.0... Android has been very user friendly. There are many non-tech people who use Android phones now... and they wouldn't be dominating the market right now if they were hard to use.

The problem is your wife... who seems to be closed minded.

Seriously? You're insulting my wife on a forum about cell phones? Not liking a cell phone that is undoubtedly more complicated than others means you are closed minded? Stop taking this so seriously. It's a cell phone. . .

I am a tech guy (big into gadgets, programming background, even had my own startup) and I don't think the design is user friendly either. It reminds me very strongly of the windows mobile phones I used to use, and like them, it demands a fairly high level of knowledge about the phone and plenty or tweaks or other user involvement in order to perform well. iOS is much less customizable, but the upside is that you know it is just how it is and it works, so there is nothing to do with the phone other than use it, vs potentially becoming paralyzed by the need to keep tweaking when you are given the option. At least that is how I look at it.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I am going to have to agree with most here, that she should return the S3 and get an Iphone. I tried to get my wife, daughter 1, and daughter 2 to get androids. I snapped out of my temporary insanity to discover that if they did get Androids I would be blamed for everything that went wrong, did not work, or did not meet their expectations. In addition, I would be constantly asked "how do you do this" or "why does android not do this", and so on........................I like my peace and quiet and as it stands I have happy girls. You are already seeing the signs of an unhappy wife. Remember the old saying "A happy wife, is a Happy household".

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
But I guess that Android hasn't reached iOS levels of ease of use of user friendliness.

What may be 'user friendliness' to one person, is 'locked down' to another person.
Android is easy enough to use in this case, so it is more a matter of what you are used to, or what you are willing to learn.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? You're insulting my wife on a forum about cell phones? Not liking a cell phone that is undoubtedly more complicated than others means you are closed minded? Stop taking this so seriously. It's a cell phone. . .

I am a tech guy (big into gadgets, programming background, even had my own startup) and I don't think the design is user friendly either. It reminds me very strongly of the windows mobile phones I used to use, and like them, it demands a fairly high level of knowledge about the phone and plenty or tweaks or other user involvement in order to perform well. iOS is much less customizable, but the upside is that you know it is just how it is and it works, so there is nothing to do with the phone other than use it, vs potentially becoming paralyzed by the need to keep tweaking when you are given the option. At least that is how I look at it.

I'm not "insulting" your wife... I'm telling the truth. Let's look at what you are saying here... you come onto the forum and are basically saying your wife does not like the SGS3 because it is not an iPhone. Then you proceed to ask questions to figure out how you can make the SGS3 look and behave exactly like an iPhone. Then you proceed to explain that your wife isn't interested in any additional features or capabilities that Android offers over iOS. So why in the world are you trying to "force" your wife to use something she clearly doesn't want to use???

Be a good husband and go get your wife an iPhone...

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I am going to have to agree with most here, that she should return the S3 and get an Iphone. I tried to get my wife, daughter 1, and daughter 2 to get androids. I snapped out of my temporary insanity to discover that if they did get Androids I would be blamed for everything that went wrong, did not work, or did not meet their expectations. In addition, I would be constantly asked "how do you do this" or "why does android not do this", and so on........................I like my peace and quiet and as it stands I have happy girls. You are already seeing the signs of an unhappy wife. Remember the old saying "A happy wife, is a Happy household".

Also exactly why I don't preach Android to others. Last thing I want is them calling me at all times of hours throughout the day on how to do this and that, lol!

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Also exactly why I don't preach Android to others. Last thing I want is them calling me at all times of hours throughout the day on how to do this and that, lol!
I and my youngest daughter have a friendly "feud": Iphone vs. S3
We are always ribbing each other on the merits of our phones. :p:p:p:p All in good fun!!!!!

anon(534938)

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me there is no reason she decided on the GSIII except screen size. Trade it back for an iPhone 5 as it is way easier to use. You and your wife will be happier.

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife was the one who wanted the phone. I will gladly get her an iphone 5 instead. I just want her to have a chance to try using this first (which means making it work how she wants it to), because she was really drawn to the screen size.

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Seems to me there is no reason she decided on the GSIII except screen size. Trade it back for an iPhone 5 as it is way easier to use. You and your wife will be happier.

It is exactly right that she wanted it for screen size. She has no interest in android otherwise. Like I said, I want to see if it can work in a way she is just as happy with, and if it can't, then its iphone time.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My mother who is now 82 years old wanted a smartphone. Even 82 year olds are apparently subject to peer pressure... ;) She asked me what I thought she should get and I told her to get an iPhone. BUT I also told her not to ever call me for tech support because I haven't held an iPhone in almost 4 years and wouldn't be able to help her. So of course the other day she started asking me for help. I stopped her and told her to call one of her teenage granddaughters since they both have iPhones... :D She did.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Like I said in an earlier post: The strength of Android is in it's flexibility and ability to be customized. The strength of iOS is it's simplicity, which is a direct result of it's lack of flexibility and ability to be customized.

Android is plenty easy to use. Start it up, click on the icons for the programs you want to use, and they run. Just like on an iPhone. Deleting icons you don't want, and adding ones you do, is extremely simple. It's just DIFFERENT than the way iOS does it. It's only when you want to start changing the default way Android does things that it gets complicated. And if you're trying to change it to work like iOS, you're going to be very frustrated. Accept Android for what it is, and it works just fine. Not like an iPhone, or a Windows phone, or a Mac, but like Android. Just as an iPhone works like itself, not like Android, or Windows, or anything else.

Oh, definitely not like a Windows phone. The only similarity I see between Android and Windows phones (the old Windows) is that they both offer lots of flexibility. But the interfaces and ways of interacting are completely different.

iOS is much easier to use because you don't need to learn as much. There simply aren't as many things you can change. That's good for ease of learning, bad for making it suit you. Steve Jobs believed that you should adapt to the way he thinks it should work. Google seems to think you should be able to adapt the device to the way you want it to work. I'm very glad to be able to make my phone mine, and not be forced into a configuration someone else chose for me.

And, of course, if you've already used iOS for several years there's no learning curve at all. I suspect, however, your wife had some learning curve when switching TO the iPhone, but just doesn't remember. If she were an Android user switching to an iPhone, I suspect she'd be just as frustrated because things wouldn't work the way she's used to, and you can't customize iOS to work that way.

As far as insults, maybe Crester's "closed-minded" is a little harsh, but read what you wrote: "Basically, she wants an iPhone with a bigger screen and has no interest in extra features, but she doesn't want to install too many apps or 3rd party tweaks. She certainly will not go for a new shell or anything like that." But then you say "she wanted to feel like her new phone was something different again,"

Wanting an iPhone with a bigger screen doesn't sound like someone who wants something "different." Nor does being unwilling to accept that "different" will require unlearning "same.". Based on your description of what she wants, and is and isn't willing to do, I think there are only two realistic choices: your wife makes a conscious decision that she's willing to actually accept something "different," (and maybe invest some effort into learning and understanding the differences) or she sticks with the iPhone. Making a Galaxy work like an iPhone just isn't in the cards. There's nothing wrong with either decision. As my sig says, choose the device that works best for you. Many millions of people feel that's the iPhone.

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Like I said in an earlier post: The strength of Android is in it's flexibility and ability to be customized. The strength of iOS is it's simplicity, which is a direct result of it's lack of flexibility and ability to be customized.

Android is plenty easy to use. Start it up, click on the icons for the programs you want to use, and they run. Just like on an iPhone. Deleting icons you don't want, and adding ones you do, is extremely simple. It's just DIFFERENT than the way iOS does it. It's only when you want to start changing the default way Android does things that it gets complicated. And if you're trying to change it to work like iOS, you're going to be very frustrated. Accept Android for what it is, and it works just fine. Not like an iPhone, or a Windows phone, or a Mac, but like Android. Just as an iPhone works like itself, not like Android, or Windows, or anything else.

Oh, definitely not like a Windows phone. The only similarity I see between Android and Windows phones (the old Windows) is that they both offer lots of flexibility. But the interfaces and ways of interacting are completely different.

iOS is much easier to use because you don't need to learn as much. There simply aren't as many things you can change. That's good for ease of learning, bad for making it suit you. Steve Jobs believed that you should adapt to the way he thinks it should work. Google seems to think you should be able to adapt the device to the way you want it to work. I'm very glad to be able to make my phone mine, and not be forced into a configuration someone else chose for me.

And, of course, if you've already used iOS for several years there's no learning curve at all. I suspect, however, your wife had some learning curve when switching TO the iPhone, but just doesn't remember. If she were an Android user switching to an iPhone, I suspect she'd be just as frustrated because things wouldn't work the way she's used to, and you can't customize iOS to work that way.

As far as insults, maybe Crester's "closed-minded" is a little harsh, but read what you wrote: "Basically, she wants an iPhone with a bigger screen and has no interest in extra features, but she doesn't want to install too many apps or 3rd party tweaks. She certainly will not go for a new shell or anything like that." But then you say "she wanted to feel like her new phone was something different again,"

Wanting an iPhone with a bigger screen doesn't sound like someone who wants something "different." Nor does being unwilling to accept that "different" will require unlearning "same.". Based on your description of what she wants, and is and isn't willing to do, I think there are only two realistic choices: your wife makes a conscious decision that she's willing to actually accept something "different," (and maybe invest some effort into learning and understanding the differences) or she sticks with the iPhone. Making a Galaxy work like an iPhone just isn't in the cards. There's nothing wrong with either decision. As my sig says, choose the device that works best for you. Many millions of people feel that's the iPhone.

My intention here is certainly not to argue the relative merits of the phones (in fact, I would have bought an SIII for myself if it was supported by my firm) but I really do think the phone is pretty complicated. For example, my wife wanted to set the notification sounds, so she went into settings-sounds and the only choices were ringtone and general notifications. She thought this meant that you could only have one sound for all notifications, which would be terrible. Then a friend explained that you set all the sounds in the settings screens for each app. Eventually we figured out that you access these screens by pressing a button that is only visible when it happens to light up. Once you know how to do it, its ok, but it is much less user friendly than the iOS sounds menu which lets you set ring, sms, voicemail, mail, facebook, calendar, reminder, etc. tones on a single screen.

She was also annoyed because there is no hard toggle for mute like on the iphone. No problem, I thought, and I proceeded to set up a widget that would be a settings shortcut. . . but you could only link to sounds, not the sub settings within it.

Then, while playing around with the browser she got a notification, and had no idea what it could be. It turned out it was a gchat message from someone she emails with but would not want to directly message like that. The phone had logged her into gchat without her knowledge.

Do these things make the phone bad? Of course not. But it is hardly a self explanatory, easy to use experience right out of the box. By comparison, it took her maybe 10 minutes to learn all she needed to know about her palm, bb and apple phones. She never learned how to do advanced things on any of them, but she didn't care to, and they worked easily for her. It seems to me that android devices have a longer and steeper learning curve, and once you walk that curve you probably know more about the phone than 10 minutes with the iphone gives you, but the flipside is if you don't care to learn more about it, that 10 minute experience doesn't seem to be available.

edit: And I really do think it feels like windows mobile. Lots of menus. More going on on the screen. Even the look of the widgets is very reminiscent of the skins HTC used to produce for those phones.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I played with an iphone for the first time over the holidays (helped my sister-in-law set hers up.) I found it to be somewhat confusing with stuff put in random places.

Does that make the iphone harder to use than the GS3? No. It just means I'm not familiar with it. Same thing for your wife.

Tell your wife to just play with the thing for an extended period of time tonight (so she actually sits down and concentrates on memorizing where things are instead of distractedly trying to find something while doing other activities during the day.) Then tell her to just live with it for 3 or 4 days to see if she warms to it.

If she's still *****ing about it after all that, take it back and get her an iphone. Some people don't like change, or options. That's fine if she doesn't.

Also, I didn't see it in the responses, but the registering touches bit is an option in developer settings. It shouldn't be on by default, but it looks like it is on hers. To turn it off, go Menu->Developer options-> then make sure both "Show pointer location" and "Show touches" are unchecked.

-Suntan

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Space, I'm not going to argue this any more, but for the most part what the you describe is different, not worse, better, harder or easier. Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by a "hard toggle", but I already explained how to very simply and easily switch between sound, vibrate and silent without installing a widget. If sliding down the notification screen and tapping an icon is too hard, I don't know what to say.....

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Show her all of the different vibration pattern settings for phone rings and you'll suddenly notice her becoming happier and happier with the sgs3. She'll probably start losing weight and taking better care of herself too. Sorry, couldn't resist! All in fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12