Rooting samsung s3

Joe Ward

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
ok im new to all this but i have rooted my s3... the question is, NOW WAT??
lol what dose this do or what do i have to do? is it like iphone jailbreak where theres some app that has things u can download???
as u can tell im new to this so please not stupid comments about how dumb i am!!

many thanks :D

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I suspect if you read through the rooting sections (under the carrier specific forums) you'll find lots of information. Here's one thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/239846-what-benefits-rooting-my-gsiii.html

For me, it's the ability to use Titanium Backup Pro, which backs up application configuration data, greatly simplifying things if you ever need to do a factory reset or accidentally delete an app. Also, the ability to occasionally tether my tablet to my phone without paying exorbitant fees to the carrier. There are a number of apps that require root permission aside from those mentioned above. And, if you want to live dangerously, you can install all sorts of custom ROMs.

Joe Ward

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
thanks alot for the replys, iv read up on those.... just one more question!! where do u get the things from? is there a website u go to and then put them on via USB or somthing u use on the phone?

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
With specific roms you can over clock or under clock your phone's cpu! You can't do that stock! There are also specific roms that will improve battery life over stock.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There are some apps that will only work on a rooted phone. Titanium Backup is one. Others include SetCPU, which can help with battery life and overclock some phones; Roam Control, to let you force roaming mode when you have a weak signal on your carrier; AdFree, and similar programs, to block ads on web sites and in some programs. There are many others. Rooting lets you tether another device to your phone to let it access the internet using your 3G or 4G connection (without having to pay the carrier's surcharges for tethering). Some apps provide additional capabilities on a rooted device: ES File Explorer, for example, will let you access system files, which can be very dangerous, but also a very powerful way to make changes to the way your phone works. (On Sprint GS3's with Jelly Bean, for example, this is the only way to eliminate the shutter click sound when taking pictures).

3rd party ROMs vary from completely stock Android, without various vendor add-ons (such as TouchWiz or Sense), to heavily customized versions with a dramatically different theme (look and feel), new programs built in, other programs removed, and various other tweaks. Note that many of these 3rd party ROMs are buggy; some tremendously so. Flashing new ROMs to your phone tends to be a "hobby" more than a real need.

When Joe asked where you get "the things", I think he meant ROMs, not applications.

WARNING: Never, ever, even think about flashing a ROM that isn't specifically tailored to your exact phone model and carrier. Flashing an AT&T ROM (as just one example) on a Sprint phone is almost guaranteed to create a very expensive door stop.

If you look at the carrier specific forums here (within the SG3 forum), you'll see a rooting subsection in each. There are discussion threads about various ROMs, and you'll find links to the ROMs in the threads. If you ask in the rooting forum for your device / carrier, you'll get some more specific answers. Probably the ultimate source for information about different ROMs is XDA-Developers: Android, Windows Phone, and Windows Mobile Development News, Information, and Howtos - XDA Developers Take a gander through the forums dedicated to your device. Be prepared to have your eyes glaze over, though.

Finally, and this is just one man's opinion: If you don't know why you want to flash a different ROM, don't. If your phone is a tool, rather than a hobby, just say "no." Flashing a ROM isn't rocket science, but neither is it like installing just another program. It is possible to mess up your phone pretty badly if you don't do it right, and while it's usually possible to recover, there's always a risk of bricking your phone. I've flashed ROMs on other devices to add capabilities that the standard ROM didn't offer. But Jelly Bean is a pretty strong from a features and useability standpoint, and already has what those earlier custom ROMs offered, and more. I plan to keep the stock ROM on my GS3. Maybe something will come along later to change my mind, but right now I don't see it.

Last edited:

Joe Ward

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
thanks alot for ur time and the complex comment!! the reason i rooted was i have had iphones and always jailbroken them and for some reason thought it would be kind the same.. eg: having a app to get everything from so making it easy to customise.. thx again

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Glad to help. Many of the kinds of things you need to jailbreak an iPhone to accomplish, Android supports without rooting. Not all, but a lot. This might be worth a read:

Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

Find the S3 forum for your carrier, and start reading the rooting threads. You should get some ideas of what you might and might not want to try, and what apps-that-require-root you might want to take advantage of.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
so i take it none of u really know where to download all this from then no!!!
you are looking for something like cydia is that correct? Android does not have this as each phone is different the software will be different so you it isnt like iphone where all the phones are pretty much clones of each other so you can just have one source and pretty much cover most of the variations. There are some options out there that will supply you with custom software and themes such as Rom Manager or Goo Manager, but dont go running to use them until you have a good grasp on how rooting and custom recoveries work. Most of us find specific Custom software and themes from our respective forums, either here , XDA or rootzwiki. Also be very aware that it is not safe to flash any software to your phone that does not Belong to your device. So if you have a AT&T GS3 do not go assuming that it is ok to flash a Verizon modification to your phone , this could cause damage that you may not recover from. Find the forums for your device and carrier and start reading how to root , hot to use recovery , and how to custom Rom your phone threads. They will most likely lead you to custom software , themes , and modifications to your phone. Also ask if it is safe to use things like Rom manager or Goo manager on your device. Good luck.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
so i take it none of u really know where to download all this from then no!!!

That's not true at all. I know lots of places to download ROMs, and told you some. But you haven't even told us what model of GS3 you have on what carrier. Did you really read what I told you? I'd be an idiot to direct you anywhere without knowing that information, and you'd be an idiot to pay attention to anyone who gave you a link without knowing what carrier you're on.

Tell me what carrier you're on, and I can probably provide you links to a dozen ROMs in 15 minutes. But why should I, when you can do the same thing. Instead of looking for ROMs-R-Us, spend a little time on this forum and Google, do the research, and understand what you're doing. I'm beginning to regret taking the time to try to provide some education.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38