Why is gmaps consuming my battery?

not2gutta

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I took my phone off the charger at 100% before going to bed last night. I turned off data to keep it fully charged. This morning it was down to 70% and when I looked at the battery stats, it shows gmaps was running..though it wasn't present in my recent run apps nor was my gps on. Any idears?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357235841209.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357235841209.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 55

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If you're on Jellybean then it's more than likely Google Now's hammering the location services - turn off Wifi in location services, however you will lose some functionality in Google Now.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That looks weird... 50% of your battery is being consumed by Google Maps?!?!?! Does this happen on a regular basis?

MaranaxSG3

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. After charging the battery up to 100% and placed it during the night. So, basically in sleep mode, my battery was drained to 20%. Just for 6 hours! So, what I would recommend you to do: open Google Maps, click on Options (left button), Settings, Location Settings and uncheck "Report from this device". Google location reports your location every 2 minutes. So, it drains your battery.
I also recommend you to install JuiceDefender. It's free and it helps to extend the battery life.
Hope it helps.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem. After charging the battery up to 100% and placed it during the night. So, basically in sleep mode, my battery was drained to 20%. Just for 6 hours! So, what I would recommend you to do: open Google Maps, click on Options (left button), Settings, Location Settings and uncheck "Report from this device". Google location reports your location every 2 minutes. So, it drains your battery.
I also recommend you to install JuiceDefender. It's free and it helps to extend the battery life.
Hope it helps.
Other than Juice Defender I agree with the above post completely. I had already done the settings changes and battery life increased tremendously.

Incitatus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same issues, deleted Savvy Shopper app and GMaps battery usage went from 30%, down to 3%.

Think of other apps using your location, not just gmaps.

Good luck.

not2gutta

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information, good to know! I disabled Google now as soon as I received jelly bean so not sure if that's it. Though I didn't know Google maps reported my location so often like that, so I made sure to unchecked that! I may try juice defender, use to have that on my nexus. I'm also going to go through my apps, deff could be a factor in this issue. Appreciate the feedback! B)

not2gutta

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Well it occurred again last night. I have Google now disabled I believe, though when I use the Google search bar it goes through Google now. How can I find out if an app is causing gmaps to run?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357317785485.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357317785485.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 23

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I use google now and keep wifi on and maps enabled
uploadfromtaptalk1357318571316.jpg
On ICS, maps used to eat my batt so i kept it disabled

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Its a bad app thats using your location through google. Any location using apps??

ONE BAD ASS NOTE 2 ON A BAD ASS JELLY ☆BEANS☆ ROM

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Well it occurred again last night. I have Google now disabled I believe, though when I use the Google search bar it goes through Google now. How can I find out if an app is causing gmaps to run?

You could try Watchdog app to see if something is consuming a lot of CPU.

Use GSam Battery Monitor too to find more detail about the top battery consuming apps.

Incitatus

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I have Google Now on, using about 75% of the functions, wifi on and gps on 24/7. My battery drain was from a 3rd party app, I'd bet the culprit is a 3rd party app in most situations.

Just checked again, in 5 hours since being unplugged gmaps has used 1.5% of battery. Prior to removing the 3rd party app it was typically 30%, sometimes 38% usage.

GroupOn, Savvy Shopper, etc. The apps that push local content to you. Delete them one or two at a time until you find which one it is.

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Dont use gps for Now. Wifi+data works fine at lettin the phone know where it is n uses like 1% (wifi)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
With JB, the phone will control GPS. Even if you have it turned on, it only draws power if an app is using it. When it's being used, you'll see the GPS icon in the notification bar. When it's on, but not being used, the notification icon goes away.

Check to see if you have Latitude set up to do location reporting. That will keep the maps app active, and suck battery. Go to settings / Google / Maps & Latitude and make sure "Report from this device," "Enable location sharing," and "Automatic check-ins" are shut off.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
With JB, the phone will control GPS. Even if you have it turned on, it only draws power if an app is using it. When it's being used, you'll see the GPS icon in the notification bar. When it's on, but not being used, the notification icon goes away.

Check to see if you have Latitude set up to do location reporting. That will keep the maps app active, and suck battery. Go to settings / Google / Maps & Latitude and make sure "Report from this device," "Enable location sharing," and "Automatic check-ins" are shut off.

Ive heard what youre sayin bro n i believe it but GPS murders my battery.
Probably just my phone
P.s i did read your whole post mate lol :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I leave GPS turned on all the time. Maps has used only 7% of my battery in the last 9 days, and I've used the phone to navigate a few times. If the GPS is using a lot of battery, I think it's because some app is actually requesting location services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835