Are you rooted? Why or why not?

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had the S3 for a month and I'm starting to think about rooting. The phone is pretty sick stock...aside from bloatware and bad battery life.

Why are you rooted?

Sent from my S3 on ACS

Athenazoe78

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Because ehm... I like to play around. Sometimes with baaaaad results but hey, that?s learning by doing :) . I rooted because I wanted the newest Android version on it. Simple as that.

Keith Patrick

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my S3 last night so I can tether my Nexus 10 to it. I was so timid for so long, for I for I was afraid I would brick my phone. I rooted in no time and now I can't believe I waited so long.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Why am I rooted? Simple, no device should have hardware keys, they are unnecessary

Wanted soft keys like the nexus

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357513576554.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357513576554.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 430

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine is mainly because I like having full administrative rights to my phone so I can always do something if I want. Such as I like being able to browse all the system files... Why? Well for things like disabling camera sounds and stuff :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Why am I rooted? Simple, no device should have hardware keys, they are unnecessary

Wanted soft keys like the nexus

Love the wallpaper and clock setup. Onscreen keys suck though but to each his own

Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I rooted because I wanted Beats Audio, Titanium Backup and Cerberus Anti Theft, oh and a custom kernel that makes phone run faster with less battery.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I run a stock JB 4.1.2 but rooted with a custom kernel.
All i like is to be able to freeze/uninstall system apps (bloat)
Overclocking was fine but the phone runs fine at stock CPU speed for me.
Also u can get apps that hide ad's from apps, games.
And most of all, you can back up app settings.... amazing feature if u gota reset :) well worthwhile :beer:

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Love the wallpaper and clock setup. Onscreen keys suck though but to each his own

Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD

Lmao, better than having to press your physical home button for ten years to open your recent apps manager, when I can just press my recent button for it, lol

And I can take a screen shot by holding my notification button on my nav bar

And did I forget to mention that not only so I have soft keys, but widgets in my navigation bar?

uploadfromtaptalk1357515391622.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1357515401398.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1357515409540.jpg

Much more function than some useless hardware keys

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I rooted because I wanted Beats Audio, Titanium Backup and Cerberus Anti Theft, oh and a custom kernel that makes phone run faster with less battery.

Does the beats audio work with podcasts and stuff too or just music?

Too scared to flash due to all the bad Samsung galaxy s3 reviews in the play store

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I do not recommend it at all. Get dsp manager. I have seen too many issues with beats for it to actually be worth it.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm not rooted as I don't have a effing clue of how to do it. I do see a lot of nice set ups though that folks have posted. I need a "Rooting and Installing ROMs Guide for Dummies".

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not rooted as I don't have a effing clue of how to do it. I do see a lot of nice set ups though that folks have posted. I need a "Rooting and Installing ROMs Guide for Dummies".

YouTube search how to root sprint samsung galaxy S3

Rodawg71

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine is mainly because I like having full administrative rights to my phone so I can always do something if I want. Such as I like being able to browse all the system files... Why? Well for things like disabling camera sounds and stuff :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

This ^^^^

sent from a Galaxy SIII near you

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not rooted. Don't see the need. I'm happy with the way the phone works. We got JB relatively quickly.

I did root my old Captivate for three reasons: (1) because it refused to update to Gingerbread (Kies on old Mac didn't work for sh*t); (2) so I could have Swype Beta (it came with some ungodly old version of Swype and wouldn't let me have both); and (3) because the GPS sucked monkey butt and I wanted to tinker with it to see if I could improve it (I couldn't, btw). With the S3, I can have both official Swype and Swype Beta installed at the same time, I have official JB, and the GPS is perfect.

One bit of caution with rooted phones: some apps are written not to work if your phone is rooted. I believe you can't watch videos you rent/buy through Google Play on a rooted phone And if you ever want to use ISIS, Google Wallet, or some other NFC payment technology, I'm 99.9% sure those apps will not run on rooted phones (for obvious security reasons). Plus, with root access, you literally have access to everything on that phone...so if you delete something by accident, you can render your phone inoperable.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
True on the root things and apps but there is app now called root keeper that let's you essentially freeze root when you need to use an app like that then unfreeze it when you want to go back to rooted.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
@chaos. AYE, onscreen nav' keys are DUMB when u have them on the bezel...... ;)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Lmao, better than having to press your physical home button for ten years to open your recent apps manager, when I can just press my recent button for it, lol

And I can take a screen shot by holding my notification button on my nav bar

And did I forget to mention that not only so I have soft keys, but widgets in my navigation bar?

View attachment 55962

View attachment 55964

View attachment 55965

Much more function than some useless hardware keys

At first I had serious hatred for on screen keys, but like other things you get used to them. I have a basically stock tablet with no keys and they themselves are not bad.

What is stupid is that no matter what they take up space and I would rather have the screen real estate.

My example is the n4. You have a 4.7 inch screen, but only 4.41 of usable space. If I buy 4.7 I want all 4.7 inches for whatever. If you want to take the bezel and replace it with onscreen keys and say something to the effects of it is a 5'' screen with 4.8'' of usable space I am fine with that.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
@chaos. AYE, onscreen nav' keys are DUMB when u have them on the bezel...... ;)

Not really, I can have up to 5 soft keys and I can have multiple actions for each

While with the galaxy s3, I only have 3 keys, lol

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus :(

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
At first I had serious hatred for on screen keys, but like other things you get used to them. I have a basically stock tablet with no keys and they themselves are not bad.

What is stupid is that no matter what they take up space and I would rather have the screen real estate.

My example is the n4. You have a 4.7 inch screen, but only 4.41 of usable space. If I buy 4.7 I want all 4.7 inches for whatever. If you want to take the bezel and replace it with onscreen keys and say something to the effects of it is a 5'' screen with 4.8'' of usable space I am fine with that.

I see what ur saying, that's just a design flaw, manufacturers will catch up soon

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool