Are you rooted? Why or why not?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
When I was on CM9 betas, there were ALWAYS bugs here and there. Basically, I was the ginea pig but I STILL didn't care since IMO, it made my phone perform better than stock. So when I would install an upgrade, I didn't know what would work and what wouldn't, so I had to 'keep up' with it as far as being on the forums and knowing what was possibly working and wasn't. This was 2 years ago! I don't know what the state of rooting is today since I'm not rooted with my S3 but I'm willing to bet that its still the same. People need to be aware of what the trade offs are. I currently feel that the trade off isn't worth it....at least not yet, for me.

Yeah but that is not just rooting. You ran a custom rom, and from the sounds of it a beta/cm nightlies so yeah you had to keep up with them.

If you just root and leave the stock software on there is none of what you went through.

There is no upkeep to just being rooted. When you run custom roms sometimes there is.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've had the S3 for a month and I'm starting to think about rooting. The phone is pretty sick stock...aside from bloatware and bad battery life.

Why are you rooted?

Sent from my S3 on ACS

I usually employ the help of a friend...otherwise I dont trust myself!

Sent from my S3 on ACS

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're not sure why you would want to root, then you probably shouldn't. The reasons to do it should be obvious to you if it something worth doing.

While there are a number of things that rooting allows you do, there's also an inherent assumption of responsibility that goes with it.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I did it for a couple of reasons.

1) To run "Ad Free Android" and get rid of the ads.

2) Titanium Backup. To backup apps and freeze system apps.

3) To get the wifi toggle in its rightful place and get rid of the ugly green layout.

4) Run Sixaxis controller to use a DSIII controller wirelessly.

Screenshot_2013-01-08-10-31-04.png

-Suntan

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted my last 3 phones, including my GS3, which I rooted the day I got it.

You never know when you'll need it for something. Example: I use Swiftkey 3 as my default keyboard. As of Jellybean, there is an issue where every reboot switches back to the default keyboard. People are complaining about it on the Swiftkey forums and reviews. The solution for me was to use Titanium Backup to freeze the stock Samsung keyboard. Problem solved.

In general though, I like to make Nandroid backups so I can easily restore my phone. And I like to fiddle with custom ROMs. Though I really like Touchwiz and the stock firmware this time around, so I haven't yet done it. But I'm starting to get the itch. For me that's that's one of the fun aspects of Android. I would never want to give up that freedom.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
When I reboot my keyboard remains at whatever the keyboard was prior to rebooting. I am currently using the Swiftkey Flow beta.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It is a legit issue. I don't have it but I am not running stock either. I have seen it mentioned a few times.

chadillacaz81

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok Here's the deal. If finally made the switch, I'm no longer an apple user. I switched to my first droid phone the Galaxy Note 2 and I love it. I should have made the switch long ago. I was yoda at jailbreaking, tunneling ssh, and using the command line. But now I'm starting all over again and I guess a noob. It's ok, I catch on real quick. So can someone give me advice on how I can get up to speed on the droid platform. I know Linux but I want more in depth knowledge on this phone. I want to know it all before rooting it. Any tips? Thanks. Droid fan for life.....

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If you just root and leave the stock software on there is none of what you went through.

Wheres the fun in that?!?!? lol! Besides keeping touchwiz features, why would you do that?? I would root because I'm not happy with it stock. I suppose this is all subjective.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Wheres the fun in that?!?!? lol! Besides keeping touchwiz features, why would you do that?? I would root because I'm not happy with it stock. I suppose this is all subjective.

I run the stock ROM (slightly modified) with Nova running over top. I never bothered to look for a completely different ROM because it does what I want it to as is. There is more to rooting than just trying out ROMs that are self-proclaimed as "the raddest" "Most awesome" "super optimized for speed with amazing battery tweaks" etc. etc.

-Suntan

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I run the stock ROM (slightly modified) with Nova running over top. I never bothered to look for a completely different ROM because it does what I want it to as is. There is more to rooting than just trying out ROMs that are self-proclaimed as "the raddest" "Most awesome" "super optimized for speed with amazing battery tweaks" etc. etc.

-Suntan

Any trades off by running it slightly modified such as reboots, broken voicemail, etc.?? These things btw would make me want to look for a more stable rom.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I did it for a couple of reasons.

1) To run "Ad Free Android" and get rid of the ads.

2) Titanium Backup. To backup apps and freeze system apps.

3) To get the wifi toggle in its rightful place and get rid of the ugly green layout.

4) Run Sixaxis controller to use a DSIII controller wirelessly.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53291462/Screenshot_2013-01-08-10-31-04.png

-Suntan

How did u change the green color to blue?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Any trades off by running it slightly modified such as reboots, broken voicemail, etc.?? These things btw would make me want to look for a more stable rom.

None that I can tell. The only changes were to get the wifi toggle in the notification pulldown and the blue coloring. The ROM itself is the stock one. The changes were made to the related files, as opposed to flashing a completely different ROM that was "based" on the stock ROM.

How did u change the green color to blue?

From the zip files found in this thread:

[MOD] [SYSTEMUI] Enable Wifi Toggle / Reconfigure and theme toggles [ICS Blue!] - xda-developers

I'm still on ICS, because I haven't taken the time to update to Jelly Bean, but I know there's a lot of options for both 4.0 and 4.1.

-Suntan

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've rooted my last 3 phones, including my GS3, which I rooted the day I got it.

You never know when you'll need it for something. Example: I use Swiftkey 3 as my default keyboard. As of Jellybean, there is an issue where every reboot switches back to the default keyboard. People are complaining about it on the Swiftkey forums and reviews. The solution for me was to use Titanium Backup to freeze the stock Samsung keyboard. Problem solved.

I think something else is going on. I've had no issues with the keyboard resetting to stock, before or after rooting.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
None that I can tell. The only changes were to get the wifi toggle in the notification pulldown and the blue coloring. The ROM itself is the stock one. The changes were made to the related files, as opposed to flashing a completely different ROM that was "based" on the stock ROM.

From the zip files found in this thread:

[MOD] [SYSTEMUI] Enable Wifi Toggle / Reconfigure and theme toggles [ICS Blue!] - xda-developers

I'm still on ICS, because I haven't taken the time to update to Jelly Bean, but I know there's a lot of options for both 4.0 and 4.1.

-Suntan

Does it work on jellybean? And can I use it on us cellular?

chadillacaz81

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Thats pretty sweet. Were you able to remove some off the "bloat ware" I've been hearing so much about? My biggest concern with any new smartphone Iis that the battery is constantly under siege. Usually attributed to the screen and this screen on my GalaxyNote2 is huge. I dont want to run befofe I walk. I would like to build myself up. So far it seems that rooting is a little easier than jail breaking. This is my first droid so I guess im a noob but I like your idea of a slightly modified stock ROM. Sounds like a good place to start being a new droid user. I want to root it and prepare for Ubuntu os for mobile devices coming out in about a year. Thanks man

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Once you root you can get rid of that stuff.
That mod should work without a problem but read the thread to be sure
Ubuntu is not happen ending in a year, if ever. Especially on an cdma device

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I really don't know. I haven't put any effort into looking at updating to jelly bean.

I'm sure they talk about it in that thread over at xda.

-Suntan

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I looked on thread and it didn't say much I'm kinda new to xda but ill try to flash it via Odin and if it works it works if not Odin shouldn't let it pass if it isn't the right software correct?