Are you rooted? Why or why not?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes if you run something intended for another device you always run that risk. I will look at it closer later tonight

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Simple rule: NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances, flash a ROM that isn't clearly documented as working on your specific model of phone and carrier, and that you can't find other people who have flashed that exact, same ROM on your exact model of phone and carrier.

NEVER.

EVER.

If you're not absolutely, positively, 100% certain that the ROM will work on your phone, JUST....SAY....NO.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Post # 60 is certainly talking about a ROM. Posts 61 through 64 are talking about flashing something that can brick your phone. I don't know what, other than flashing a ROM, will brick your phone.

Maybe your wife is right. :)

But I'll expand the advice. Never flash ANYTHING that you don't absolutely, 100% positively, know is for your phone.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You were so close. We are talking about post 59 which refers to post 57 which is a mod. The possibility of bricking is slim(there is always a chance) I do happen to know what I am talking about.

Maybe you need to hit thanks now since my wife is wrong.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Does it work on jellybean? And can I use it on us cellular?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

Now back to the question.

You are on US cellular and on JB right?

If so the MOD for Jellybean is here: [MOD] [SystemUI] Enable Wifi toggle for stock TW Jelly Bean (Blue theme) - xda-developers

I put the question to the DEV over there if this would be ok on USCC but havent heard anything (Did it by PM yesterday and in the thread a minute ago).

My understanding is that this is just an XML edit which is not that big a deal. You could do all the lifting to be sure (decompile the APK and make the change yourself, then recompile and sign it) but that is a pain in the arse.

Here is what I would do. I would make a nandroid backup. I would also download a flashable zip and put it on my SD card and I would also download odin and the stock image for your phone.

Then I would flash it and see what happens.

If I got stuck in a bootloop then you know it is a fail and you have 3 ways to fix it. If it bricks, then there are more involved ways to fix it but i do not know them off the top of my head.

BUT that is what I would do. What you want to do it your choice. I cannot say with 100% certainty that it will not brick. I believe that the worst is a soft brick, but it is your choice.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Dude thanks so much man. That is so awesome. I tried searching around on xda but I'm new to it so it was confusing. Haha. I will flash it tonight when I get off work. Thanks so much again dude.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey quick question....when I do it....how would I switch back? Just re-flash my stock software would that switch it back? Just making sure before I do it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you make a nandroid backup, you can just flash that to return to exactly where you are right now. But yeah flashing back to stock will do it too

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
No problem let me know how it goes

Worked perfectly. Thanks man for helping me out even posting on xda for me. One of the reasons I love this site. Loving having blue instead of green.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Good I am glad it all worked ok. I figured that it wouldn't be an issue for several reasons, but as the other poster said, be sure to not flash something that isn't for you. The sgs3 is a bit of a different story in some aspects, not all but some.

Helping is what this place is about and I am glad that I could.

And yeah, I hated the green too. The only other one that I hated more was the poop brown on the DROID Charge.

Have a great night and if you need anything else just ask!

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Sweet will do man u were a lot of help. Love my gs3 even more now. Thanks again man. :beer:

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're not sure why you would want to root, then you probably shouldn't. The reasons to do it should be obvious to you if it something worth doing.

While there are a number of things that rooting allows you do, there's also an inherent assumption of responsibility that goes with it.

Successfully rooted and rommed without issue. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol