I have a Galaxy S3, non-rooted from Rogers in Canada. I'm going to be doing some travelling overseas, primarily south and east asia for business. Usually when I travel overseas, I stay in the host country for a few months at a time and I usually get a local sim/phone to use.

Since I won't be in the countries for more than a few days at a time, I wanted to know a few things. If I was to take my phone overseas, would I get roaming charges if I turn roaming off? I'll probably use hotel wifi and use skype or facebook messenger to keep in touch, but what if my phone is on, and someone sends me a text? Would I be charged for that?

I know I'm making it sound confusing, but my question is, in case I leave my mobile network on, I know it will switch to the host country. Since it is 4G LTE, but the LTE band in NA is different than Asia, it will most likely be HSPA+ in South and East Asia. Will I rack up tons of charges if my network is on and I get text messages? I know what it will cost me to text internationally, and I'll most likely purchase a travel plan on my monthly bill for the next month or two, but I don't want to get screwed if a friend or family member sends me like 5-10 texts etc.

On a further note, if I was to turn roaming off, and then mobile network as well, would I get away with just using wifi without any charges? Thank you to anyone who can try and understand what I meant from my rambling lol. Any information would be great.
    01-09-2013 01:29 AM
    I hate bumping... but anyone? Any comments would be welcome lol.
    01-09-2013 09:45 PM
    hi, I think that's a question you need to ask your carrier.
    01-09-2013 10:52 PM
    Text messages - depends on your carrier you need to check with them. Here in the UK we do not get charged to recieve SMS messages anywhere. You can use the phone to access Facebook, Whatsapp etc just on wifi with roaming data switched off without incurring any data charges.
    01-10-2013 06:24 AM