Voice privacy?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have always noticed this setting at the bottom of the call settings. Just curious if anyone has a clue what it does? It's on my default so I just left it lol.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357738224860.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357738224860.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 60

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
From the S3 User Manual:

The Voice Privacy option automatically reduces the sound of the incoming caller?s voice for enhanced privacy.

Sounds like maybe it's an automatic volume control feature, that prevents the incoming voice from exceeding a certain level. If you know you're going to be making or receiving calls in a noisy environment, it might be worth turning it off.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
From the S3 User Manual:

Sounds like maybe it's an automatic volume control feature, that prevents the incoming voice from exceeding a certain level. If you know you're going to be making or receiving calls in a noisy environment, it might be worth turning it off.

Thanks!

Wait... Some people read the manual? :what:

Lol :D

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
My manual only says:

Voice privacy: Enable or disable Enhanced voice privacy, to
improve the security of phone calls.

Wow, that was informative...

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The propeller head version:

Voice privacy of IS-95 CDMA is provided by means of the long code mask.The long code mask is not transmitted through any channel, it is constructed by the base station and the mobile station. To recover the long code sequence,the eavesdropper may exhaustively search the 42-bit long code mask, with a time complexity of O(2 42 ). This attack is viable but is hard to implement in real time. Alternatively, it can be shown that the long code sequence can also be recovered if the eavesdropper can obtain 42 bits of plaintext-ciphertext pairs.As there are many mobile stations transmitting simultaneously on the trac channel and each mobile station only transmits approximately 3 minutes on the average, it is rather di cult to obtain 42 bits of the plaintext message.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What trucky quoted is very different than what Samsung wrote. I suspect the Sprint Samsung manual I quoted it wrong, as I didn't notice any difference in volume switching it on or off. So I think what it's essentially doing is making it harder for someone to intercept and decode the digital signal while it's being transmitted.

But if the NSA wants to hear your call, they will. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca