SD Cards failing in Galaxy S3: Samsung's insane response.

aquafusiondane

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
SGS3 is not the only one that is having problem with the SanDisk card, my friend have Note 2 and complaining to me that her phone is complaining about the sd card like it keep re-mounting itself. I seen this thread on note 2 forum also. I believe her is SanDisk Ultra 32 gb class 10. While mine is AmazonBasics 16gb class 10 and it have no problem with the card. So apparently there a problem with SanDisk card.

Sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk 2

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I bet one issue every one is skipping is class 10 speed. Last I checked class 10 speed isn't isn't supported on android. There are a ton threads showing the sweet spot Is class 6. But folks don't care

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

My SDXC c10 64g is working just fine

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

Mark Morrison

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I fried a memory card on my Galaxy S a couple years ago, and I suspect it was PowerAmp.

I bought a Note 2 this year and noticed that PowerAmp was corrupting a lot of mp3 files.

So PowerAmp is gone. I'm always a little wary of third party apps that access the memory card constantly. Sticking with stock entertainment apps.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Android Central Forums

Carmaster65

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
My long story,

I just joined this forum after reading a few threads on this issue. I didn't even know this problem existed until it happened to me last Friday.

Samsung Galaxy S3 w/ 32gb SanDisk Ultra (red/gray). Phone purchased on release 9\2012 and sd card purchased in 11\2012 from NewEgg. card was sold as a class 10 but was actually a class 1.

I was taking a picture and noticed it went into its own camera folder separate from the main camera folder, as it turned out the sd card unmounted itself and the pictures started saving to my phone. I started getting the error messages about the unmounted card and to insert a new one. Since the card was supposedly unmounted I powered off/on the phone and removed the card and reinserted it. nothing, after a minute or two the error about inserting a new sd card came back. At home after work none of my computers could recognize the card. I tried a few more times to re mount it in the phone and once got an error that said it was blank or has unsupported files on it. Other than that one message it is like the card does not exist, no response to inserting or removing at all. One of my friend's laptop (a new Samsung oddly enough) was able to see the card. We ran a program to repair it but that was unsuccessful. It only recognized it as a 7gb and not 32gb, it may have said something about a partition or something, not sure but the fact remains its dead and all my pictures and videos are gone.

Previous to this card I had been using a SanDisk 8gb micro sd card (black) that I had previously used in 3 Blackberries and in the S3 with no problem. The 8gb card is back in the phone now and working for the moment. I do have to say that in all the years of using sd cards, mini, micro and standard in all types of devices like go pros, cameras, phones, mini keychain cameras mounted to model aircraft/monster trucks I have never experienced a card failure or corruption. Not one.

I had the false sense of security that even if I smashed my phone I could take out the card and save all my precious memories captured on the go. Never even crossed my mind that the card might fail. It bit me hard this time. All the data lost was from Thanksgiving through, um, Friday. Not a whole lot but irreplaceable pictures and video gone. I called the ATT store that I deal with and talked to a less than interested rep about the situation. I told him I wanted the problem documented because Samsung says it doesn't exist. He said he would call his Samsung Rep and get back to me. I don't have high hopes. My next stop will be the warranty repair center. The ATT rep said they can test my phone to see if there is an issue. I don't believe my phone is the issue and it pretty much performs flawlessly. I have a feeling Samsung is pushing these cards to their limit and the QC might not be all that great them. I have no reason behind that, just what I think. So while I wait for nobody to take responsibility I will back up my phone like an OCD squirrel.

Last edited:

Zcortlandt

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Some jerk at samsung did this for a reason. Was it for money? was it to ruin cards and make the consumer buy more (which they have) was it stupiditiy hmm Well I can tell you this. Whatever it was it wasn't a move that a company like samsung should of made with a 600 dollar phone. Its down right wrong. They should have to pay a fine or put a warning on the phone.

To anyone saying this isn't happening. Go home.

I bought my 32 gig Sandisk from costco. Its failed a ton of times, I keep having to format it. It dies sometimes in middle of a transfer, its buggy. I mean its just not fair. Thing is I wouldn't care if all I had do was advoid Sandisk but hes the thing I bought a patriot before this. It would regisiter in my S2 but not my S3. The S3 refused to copy or burn anything to it. It said write error every time. Now come on. How can a older S2 read something my S3 can't?

Like I said it just was a mistake which wouldn't be so bad if they would at least admit it and say sorry but there not. There being real *&@#@!&*) about it. Makes me angry and mad :(

Its a billion dollar company. I work my ass off to buy there phone. I work my ass off to buy a nice SD disk not a cheap one. and it kills it. I give up go buy a even more expensive card after hearing it was because class 1-3 cards don't work well with it. (that was ok) but it wasn't true the class 10 Sandisk isn't going well. I still use it but it flakes out and im always scared it going die at worst time. Its frozen on me untill I could get home a bunch times.

Also the first card I bought was a samsung 32 gig class 4 and it wasn't even requinsed at all. Nothing. Didn't exisst to my phone
Again my S2 was cool with all formats (which shows they can do a good job when they want) When I got the S2 I expect my S2 but beter. I didn't get that. I got a slick phone but thats all it is.
It could be a nexus killer instead its more of a competitor then a killer
still wouldn't trade my phone but ... just sucks ya know? spend that money buy something nice and it gets ruined. I wish i knew why they did it

alan sh

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
My first SD card (32gb) failed after about 3 weeks. Amazon replaced it for free. So far (3 months later) it's still OK.

Alan

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 16GB S3 since July 2012 and it's corrupted 2 SD cards in 8 months. The first was a Sandisk 32GB class 4 and it lasted about 4 months. That one failed overnight and would no longer be recognized in multiple phones or PCs. The second was a Transcend 32GB class 4 and that lasted about 4 months as well. This one failed gradually over the course of 3-4 days. Initial symptoms were the occasional notifications that the SD card was removed, unmounted, remounted, etc. Power cycling and/or reseating the card would get me back in business until the day it failed completely.

I'm currently on my third card, a Sandisk 32GB Class 10. Hopefully I'll have better luck with this one but I'm not holding my breath. Based on reports here and elsewhere, contacting Samsung will be an exercise in futility so I'll just stick it out with this phone and go with another manufacturer on my next upgrade.

One thing to note - I wonder if these failures could be heat-related. I downloaded an app on my phone to do a r/w test on my current card and about 25% into the test, I noticed that the card was getting extremely warm - not quite too hot to touch but close. I cancelled the test and ran a r/w test from my PC. The card did not get warm at all during the entire 2 hour test. I know this isn't exactly irrefutable evidence as 2 distinct test applications were used and my thermometer was the back of my finger but it was pretty noticeable.

I'm minimizing the use of my card and backing it up regularly. This really sucks because the S3 is outstanding in every other way.

doubledown7d

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Verizon S3 32gb since october. Bought SanDisk Ultra 32gb Class 10 same week and have been using without issue till last night. Went to my albums and noticed my pics were gone. Checked settings and card no longer showed up. Messed around with it for 15 min to no avail. This morning while in my gallery the album showed back up! Went to my music to test out. All my music showed up but when I tried to play it, it would either play only first 6 seconds of song or told me file type (files were mp3) was not supported. 10 minuted later memory card disappeared again and as of now will not show up.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd chime in. I had a Class 10 32gb card in my S3 when I first got it (August 17, 2012). It gave me trouble from the get go, not syncing all my music or just trouble in general. I finally said screw it after I found the replacement from the company had the same issues and got a 16gb class 6 card. It's been in my phone since September of 2012 and I have NEVER had any issues with it. I play music and videos off of it regularly.

Just some food for thought.

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
My current SGS3 (my THIRD) is using a Samsung 32GB class 10 MicroSD card, and unlike the previous two SGS3s, has not trashed this SD card.

None of the other cards in the previous two SGS3 were Samsung -- they were SanDisk and other brands. And these two SGS3s fried ALL their SD cards!

So, it MIGHT have something to do with the brand of SD card.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has had issues with SD Cards since the 1st Galaxy S phone, among other things.

They're known for products that come across as Cheap and Mass Produced, so it's not surprising me that the same issues are cropping up in the GS3, and the forum has gone from a page of praises to a praise of "WTF is wrong with my phone."

That SD Card Slot and Removable Battery comes at a price - that being Volatility in product quality.

bobd1001

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I just had a great family vacation to Curacao, and took tons of pictures of the whole family on my Galaxy SIII. Got back a couple days ago, and now my phone suddenly says "Blank SD Card" the card cant be read by my computer either, or any other phone it is inserted into. No recovery software (ZAR, Recuva, photorec,etc.) has even been able to access the card, let alone retrieve my pictures. Does anyone know of a service I can pay to recover the photos for a decent price?

Also, I just contacted Samsung's chat help, and here is my log:

"Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Gary S'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56402625896X

Gary S: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: I have a samsung Galaxy SIII that I just got a couple months ago. I was just on a week long family vacation, took dozens of irreplaceable photots, and suddenly my phone began saying "Blank SD Card".

Gary S: I understand that your device is unable to detect SD memory card. Is that correct?

Visitor: Yes, in addition i have tried using an adapter to read it in both my desktops, and my laptop; all with no luck.

Gary S: I'm sorry to know that.

Gary S: No worries, I will do all the possible things to help you in this regard.

Gary S: To assist you better, can I ask you a few questions?

Visitor: absolutely

Gary S: May I know the model number of your phone? Please open Settings app >> Scroll down the screen and tap on About Phone and there you can see the device model number, it starts with SGH, SCH or SPH.

Visitor: SCH-1535

Gary S: Thank you for the model number.

Gary S: When did you first notice this issue?

Visitor: it just occoured yesterday morning before i even had a chance to sync my photos to my computer

Gary S: On the phone, please open "My Files" folder icon.

Visitor: with the SD card in?

Gary S: Let me know the options displayed on the screen now?

Gary S: Yes, you are correct.

Visitor: all that us shown within "My Files" is sdcard0

Visitor: and icon in top notification bar of the phone still says "Blank SD Card"

Gary S: Have you tried to remove and re-insert SD card on the phone?

Visitor: yes, several times, and i have also tried in my fathers galaxy SIII to see if it may have been an issue with my phone.

Gary S: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Gary S: Have you tried to use this SD card on another phone?

Visitor: yes, no luck whatsoever.

Gary S: Are you able to use another SD card on the device now?

Visitor: Other SD cards work fine within the device

Visitor: my concern however, are the irreplaceable photographs that were contained on the SD card which seems to have been fried by the phone.

Gary S: I do understand your concern.

Gary S: I think, the SD card is corrupted.

Gary S: It is not possible to restore data for the memory card, if it is not working.

Visitor: This looks to be a known issue with the SIII.... why is samsung offering to do nothing to help its loyal customers? such as a free data recovery service?

Gary S: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

Gary S: As of now, there is no recovery software for any Samsung devices. However, I will make a note of this information and will inform to the concern department.

Visitor: Not software, a service. We should be able to send our micro SD cards, damaged by our Samsung phones, to the company, so that they can properly recover all lost photos, videos, and data. There are far too many galaxy SIII owners experiencing this issue for Samsung do do nothing.

Gary S: AS of now, this service is not available from Samsung.

Gary S: I wish, I could have helped you in this regards. I'm sorry about that.

Gary S: If there way any other option then I would have surely provided you with that information.

Gary S: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

Visitor: Samsung is going to be losing many loyal customers. I appreciate your input, but this needs to be resolved.

Visitor: thank you."

headamp

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Adding to the broken record, I have the same problem with my AT&T GS3. I have (had?) a Lexar 32GB class 10 card in the phone for about three months. The phone is the only place that I've used it - once I installed it last November, I didn't take it out again. A few weeks ago, I started getting random sdcard dismounts. If I restarted the phone, the card would mount up and work fine. About a week ago, it did it for the last time. The phone said to try formatting it, but when I tried that, it said that the card was defective. I took it out and tried formatting it in my notebook computer. The computer said that the format was good, but when I put it back in the phone, it didn't work. Then, when I put the card back in the computer, the computer didn't recognize it and I had to reformat it again.

After doing that a couple of times, after I reformatted it in the computer, I copied some files over to it and checked to see if they really copied. They did, leading me to believe that the card was still good. So, I put it in the phone...and it worked. It's been working for a day, so far, but obviously I have some real trust issues with the phone and the sdcard. Time will tell, I guess.

SexiLexi08

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
I've had the issue happen with 2 separate SD cards. it started with my GS2. I originally just felt like it had to be the card but after purchasing a new one in January and as of yesterday it is fried, I'm inclined to believe that the problems that myself and so many others seem to be having with this has to be a hardware or software issue with the phone.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
This maybe a stupid thing to say but could the version of the phone be anything to do with it? I have the international version and the cards i have worked as they should.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I find curious about this is that they keep saying no one else is having the issue, when clearly we have at least 3 documented examples. Are they not aware of the other chat sessions?

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I just had a great family vacation to Curacao, and took tons of pictures of the whole family on my Galaxy SIII. Got back a couple days ago, and now my phone suddenly says "Blank SD Card" the card cant be read by my computer either, or any other phone it is inserted into. No recovery software (ZAR, Recuva, photorec,etc.) has even been able to access the card, let alone retrieve my pictures. Does anyone know of a service I can pay to recover the photos for a decent price?

Also, I just contacted Samsung's chat help, and here is my log:

"Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Gary S'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56402625896X

Gary S: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: I have a samsung Galaxy SIII that I just got a couple months ago. I was just on a week long family vacation, took dozens of irreplaceable photots, and suddenly my phone began saying "Blank SD Card".

Gary S: I understand that your device is unable to detect SD memory card. Is that correct?

Visitor: Yes, in addition i have tried using an adapter to read it in both my desktops, and my laptop; all with no luck.

Gary S: No worries, I will do all the possible things to help you in this regard.

Gary S: To assist you better, can I ask you a few questions?

Visitor: absolutely

Gary S: May I know the model number of your phone? Please open Settings app >> Scroll down the screen and tap on About Phone and there you can see the device model number, it starts with SGH, SCH or SPH.

Visitor: SCH-1535

Gary S: Thank you for the model number.

Gary S: When did you first notice this issue?

Visitor: it just occoured yesterday morning before i even had a chance to sync my photos to my computer

Gary S: On the phone, please open "My Files" folder icon.

Visitor: with the SD card in?

Gary S: Let me know the options displayed on the screen now?

Gary S: Yes, you are correct.

Visitor: all that us shown within "My Files" is sdcard0

Visitor: and icon in top notification bar of the phone still says "Blank SD Card"

Gary S: Have you tried to remove and re-insert SD card on the phone?

Visitor: yes, several times, and i have also tried in my fathers galaxy SIII to see if it may have been an issue with my phone.

Gary S: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Gary S: Have you tried to use this SD card on another phone?

Visitor: yes, no luck whatsoever.

Gary S: Are you able to use another SD card on the device now?

Visitor: Other SD cards work fine within the device

Visitor: my concern however, are the irreplaceable photographs that were contained on the SD card which seems to have been fried by the phone.

Gary S: I do understand your concern.

Gary S: I think, the SD card is corrupted.

Gary S: It is not possible to restore data for the memory card, if it is not working.

Visitor: This looks to be a known issue with the SIII.... why is samsung offering to do nothing to help its loyal customers? such as a free data recovery service?

Gary S: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

Gary S: As of now, there is no recovery software for any Samsung devices. However, I will make a note of this information and will inform to the concern department.

Visitor: Not software, a service. We should be able to send our micro SD cards, damaged by our Samsung phones, to the company, so that they can properly recover all lost photos, videos, and data. There are far too many galaxy SIII owners experiencing this issue for Samsung do do nothing.

Gary S: AS of now, this service is not available from Samsung.

Gary S: I wish, I could have helped you in this regards. I'm sorry about that.

Gary S: If there way any other option then I would have surely provided you with that information.

Gary S: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

Visitor: Samsung is going to be losing many loyal customers. I appreciate your input, but this needs to be resolved.

Visitor: thank you."

I have to ask, why don't you have dropbox set up to auto upload pictures? I have it set up in case something like this happens (although I am still on my original sd card from almost a year ago without issue).

If something is important, I would think it prudent to make backups. It would seem a better use of time than taking it out on some poor chat rep.

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 via JB 4.2.2 - thanks Tasks AOKP!

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I find curious about this is that they keep saying no one else is having the issue, when clearly we have at least 3 documented examples. Are they not aware of the other chat sessions?

All companies say this about any given issue. I've seen it with Apple, I've seen it with audio recording software companies.

Not that I'm saying it's ok, only that it's normal and not surprising at all.

Sent from my Frosty Jelly Beaned SGH-T999 via Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well the slot on the s3 is barely soldered onto the phone. Its no wonder it fries cards half the time. If Samsung wasn't going to do it right, they shouldn't have added it at all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci