SMS contacts mixed up - due to similar phone numbers?

Jenjenski

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I've had my Galaxy S3 for about 9 months, and 2 weeks ago started having this problem (I don't recall changing any settings etc that coincide with this timing).

Two contacts have numbers which are only one digit different (ie, 04AXXXXXXX and 04BXXXXXXX). I've had these numbers stored in my contacts since the start, and contact both of them regularly.

Two weeks ago, this is what started happening. When I receive an SMS from person A, the notification correctly identifies person A. Then when I click on the notification and go to the message app to read the full SMS, I am taken to the SMS thread for person B. So, it appears as though all SMS from either person are coming from person B. The message thread for person A is no longer displaying new incoming SMS.

I can still send SMS to person B by starting a fresh SMS thread. But any replies appear in the thread for person A.

I am using Go SMS Pro, but this issue is happening also in the default message app.

I have tried:
  • re-booting the phone
  • backing up all my SMS in Gmail and then deleting both SMS threads from my phone
  • deleting both contact numbers from my contact list

Even with both contacts deleted from my phone, the SMS thread still gets confused. It is now still including both people in the one thread, but identifying whichever phone number I last sent an SMS to. This means that my replies sent from within that thread might end up being sent to either recipient. I am having a lot of difficulty knowing who has sent me the SMS I receive, or who I am replying to!

It seems very strange because the notifications that pop up identify the correct sender, and when I call them or receive a call from them they are correctly identified. Even the Gmail backup correctly identifies them. It is only within the SMS app that the error occurs.

So it appears to be some kind of software problem rather than a network issue.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I suspect you have a corrupted data file somewhere. Going to the Application Manager, selecting GoSMS, and deleting data will probably fix it, but it will probably delete your text message history, too.

Jenjenski

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Given that the problem is happening in the default SMS app as well, should I do the same thing for the default app?

Jenjenski

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
OK, I tried deleting data and cache from both GoSMS and the default app. It didn't fix the problem :(
Interestingly, it actually didn't delete the message history.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you receive an OTA two weeks ago?
Was GoSMS updated two weeks ago?
It would be very strange if the problem isn't related to some change that occurred around the same time. You might have made the change a few days before the problem started but the problem only started when you rebooted the phone.
If none of the above ring any bells, try uninstalling GoSMS and see how it works with just the stock Messaging app for awhile. If the problem goes away, then try reinstalling GoSMS.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Jenjenski

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I re-installed goSMS, and now it's correctly identifying Person A incoming sms, only problem is that it starts a new sms thread every time he message me. LOL. I guess that will do for now...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Android Central Forums

Brodes03

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I am experiencing the same issue!

First noticed on my gf's S3 4G with pre loaded jelly bean, two contacts with one digit difference come up as the one number in sms threads. Meanwhile I was having no issue on my S3 which was running ICS. Since I have updated to JB I too now have the same issue as my gf..I know of at least one other friend also with the same issue, this is very frustrating and obviously an issue with JB. This is probably not something that is easily picked up as not many people would have contacts which are one digit different.

Note: We are all using the stock sms app.

Jesper Schmidt

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi there

I have owned 2 phone numbers where the last 7 digits is the same for several years.
All the years many people with different phones has complained that the two numbers get mixed in their phone, especial with sms.

So I think it's general problem that phones only use the last 7 digits when it compare the incoming number with the contact list.

Until now I have lived with that a sms sent by my wife is replied to me or vice versa...

/Schmidt

ojayson

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my S3 using the default messaging app. My parents have the same number bar one digit, and any messages sent from or to them both show up in my mum's thread. It's quite frustrating. I've tried deleting the contacts, the threads, updating gmail contacts (the only place my phone syncs to) and nothing seems to work. I have seen other people in other threads with this problem who have tried a hard reset and this hasn't worked for them, so I'm hesitant to try on my phone. I don't know what else to do!

jeremy_sadler

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue, but it only started happening since the last update.

So I got my SIII in September last year and imported my contacts - all good. My daughter has a similar number to my wife - the 3rd digit different (043X and 042X - all other digits the same). I had no problems with text and calls - the standard SMS app kept the threads perfectly. Then after the last update 2 months ago it insisted that when my daughter text me (043) it would stick it under the 042 thread. I could reply by going to the old 043 thread. I deleted both contacts and both SMS histories, and reboot. Its still the same... any incoming SMS from 043X gets put under the 042X thread. Even when I send to 043 ... it now sticks it in the 042 thread. GoSMS or std app the same, so is it some library in the O/S ??? And I assume Samsung as my daughters HTC with android doesn;t seem to have this problem.

I think this is shocking nowadays. The last time I saw this was about 5 years ago in some cheap motorola - understandable with little memory and CPU power.
I must admit its these little things that are putting me off Android and Samsung, like that I can't turn off the camera click, and it take 2 actions to silence or unsilence - so I forget - the iphone littel red switch is so much better!!!

Jeremy

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
That is bizarre, I agree. Have you reported it to Samsung technical support? No one here actually works for Samsung, you know.

As for Android vs. iPhone, no one wants to hear it. If you really think it's terribly difficult to mute the S3, and that's a real hardship, and the iPhone is so much better, trade your Galaxy in on another iPhone. But I've got a clue for you: the iPhone isn't perfect either. If it was, you would have never tried the S3, right? There are some things the iPhone does better, some things Android does better. In either case, you have to live with the compromises.

I'm not sure what "2 actions" you're referring to. I can swipe down the notification shade and tap the sound icon and go to vibrate, once more to go to completely silent. If that's too complicated for you, there are apps you can download to put directly on your home screen that will do it without having to do all the terribly hard work of pulling down the notification shade. (A feature which Apple copied from Android, by the way).

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
That is bizarre, I agree. Have you reported it to Samsung technical support? No one here actually works for Samsung, you know.

As for Android vs. iPhone, no one wants to hear it. If you really think it's terribly difficult to mute the S3, and that's a real hardship, and the iPhone is so much better, trade your Galaxy in on another iPhone. But I've got a clue for you: the iPhone isn't perfect either. If it was, you would have never tried the S3, right? There are some things the iPhone does better, some things Android does better. In either case, you have to live with the compromises.

I'm not sure what "2 actions" you're referring to. I can swipe down the notification shade and tap the sound icon and go to vibrate, once more to go to completely silent. If that's too complicated for you, there are apps you can download to put directly on your home screen that will do it without having to do all the terribly hard work of pulling down the notification shade. (A feature which Apple copied from Android, by the way).

I agree that the best course of action is contacting Samsung CS directly, however, Jeremy can post his opinion on cons of his phone and pros of the iPhone without your bashing him and saying no one wants to hear his points. He never said his phone was worthless, nor that apple was the demigod of phones. He merely stated a convenience over his Samsung. A little switch compared to two or three actions is much more convenient. Say, you're in a class or a business meeting and can't pull your phone out to wake up phone, unlock screen, pull down shade, press toggle until desired volume setting. Pulling your phone out and descretely pressing down a switch is much easier. He has every right to have that opinion, and be remotely irritated and put out that his phone can't perform one of its primary functions correctly.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes, he has a right to his opinion. Just as I have a right to tell no one on the Galaxy S3 forum really cares that he like the iPhone better. Samsung never claimed the S3 had an external button to silence the phone. If that feature is so important to him, why did he buy the S3 in the first place? Like I said, if that feature is so important to him, he should get rid of the S3 and buy another iPhone, and put up with all the limitations of that device.

And if you don't think I should be bashing Jeremy, why are you bashing me? :confused:

WeeRedBird

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a sloppy work around by the software coders. I sometimes get messages starting 07xxxxxxxxx and +447xxxxxxxxx, which in the UK means the same number. Who ever wrote it didn't want to work out the prefixes for all the different countries (as different countries have different lengths of international prefixes and drop different amount of digits at the start of the number to make them international) and assumed a fixed length at the end.
Though it is a tricky problem to code round. I remember when the UK started adding extra digits to all phone numbers to increase capacity (many many years ago), so the poor coder would have to handle that sort of change when some random country does the same. Not a bit of code I'd want to write myself.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, he has a right to his opinion. Just as I have a right to tell no one on the Galaxy S3 forum really cares that he like the iPhone better. Samsung never claimed the S3 had an external button to silence the phone. If that feature is so important to him, why did he buy the S3 in the first place? Like I said, if that feature is so important to him, he should get rid of the S3 and buy another iPhone, and put up with all the limitations of that device.

And if you don't think I should be bashing Jeremy, why are you bashing me? :confused:

I didn't bash you what so ever. Not once did I say anything negative or insiunate that your opinion was lesser than anyone else's. He didn't say he liked the iPhone better, just that it had a useful feature. You seem to be confusing this for an apple vs android debate where its really just a discussion on a problem with his device, and features that the device lacks. I am pro android all the way and can easily say there are some features on the iPhone I wish were available on my DNA. But does that mean I need to shut up and trade in? No. It means I can subjectively point out pros and cons in both devices.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star