01-18-2013 06:54 AM
81 1234
tools
    I would still get rid of Lookout... what does it even do? I remember reading articles before about how anti-virus apps for phones basically do nothing and just make profit by taking advantage of people's fears.
    01-17-2013 08:43 AM
    Disable the applications you don't need or use. Settings>applications manager>Scroll to All (far right) touch the app u want to disable. Instead of force close hit remove update .Then disable will show touch disable. all apps that you disable will be at the bottom of all apps.
    dee632 likes this.
    01-17-2013 08:55 AM
    Settings>applications manager>Scroll to All (far right) touch the app u want to disable. Instead of force close hit remove update .Then disable will show touch disable. all apps that you disable will be at the bottom of all apps.
    When I tried to do this I don't get a disable message.. It says "The application will be replaced with the factory version." ???
    01-17-2013 09:15 AM
    Geez...you have about 6 hours and 40 minutes on 30% of battery. If you extrapolate that out, you'd get about 20 hours on 90% (6.75 hours * 3) and you'd still have 10% remaining, which means you're probably looking around 22 hours of battery life. Let me repeat that in larger text: Over 20 hours!

What kind of battery life are you expecting?!?! That's pretty decent and will get you through a full day. Are you coming from an old dumbphone that didn't actually do anything and expecting 2 or 3 days?

Also, IMO, you seem to be way too worried about your "running tasks" list. Android manages that fine, although as others pointed out you can certainly disable some apps things if you aren't using them, but on a whole, you shouldn't really have to manage those tasks. I think you're worrying a lot for nothing.

I personally don't use Lookout or another virus app. I would if I was in the habit of downloading and installing pirated apps or a lot of "Hot Girlz Wallpaperz!" apps, but I'm not and stick to reputable sources such as the Play Store that have safety measures in place. To each their own on this though, as it's whatever you're comfortable with.

Anyways, I think you're making too much out of what is basically normal operation. My two cents.
    01-17-2013 09:37 AM
    Thank you Evil. I guess because it's a new phone I was worried about it, but after reading all these posts, I guess I'm pretty normal. That is a good thing!!! Now I can relax and enjoy my wonderful phone.
    01-17-2013 10:09 AM
    I would still get rid of Lookout... what does it even do? I remember reading articles before about how anti-virus apps for phones basically do nothing and just make profit by taking advantage of people's fears.

Again, it has security to scan apps, it has security to find a missing device, it will even back up your device, among other things. Lookout is not something that needs to be removed if she likes the app.
    01-17-2013 11:06 AM
    When I tried to do this I don't get a disable message.. It says "The application will be replaced with the factory version." ???
    Yes, exactly..that is "uninstalling the updates" and then after it finishes, go back like you are going to disable it again and the disable function should be there.
    dee632 likes this.
    01-17-2013 11:08 AM
    dee632... I don't know if I missed it... but what phone did you have before owning a Samsung Galaxy S3?
    01-17-2013 11:22 AM
    I had a VZW S3. They let me out of my contract because so many calls were being dropped. They came out and checked and said I was in a poor reception area. I bought the new S3 at Metro PCS because they were offering it for $519. It seems to be working somewhat better than Verizon did. I still have the old S3 in case I have to go back to VZW but so far things are going OK.
    01-17-2013 01:59 PM
    I had a VZW S3. They let me out of my contract because so many calls were being dropped. They came out and checked and said I was in a poor reception area. I bought the new S3 at Metro PCS because they were offering it for $519. It seems to be working somewhat better than Verizon did. I still have the old S3 in case I have to go back to VZW but so far things are going OK.
    Is the S3 your first smartphone?
    01-17-2013 02:11 PM
    lol... you're not hearing me... before you bought ANY Samsung Galaxy S3... what NON-GALAXY S3 phone did you have?
    01-17-2013 02:14 PM
    Oh sorry. I had a Palm Treo.
    01-17-2013 05:46 PM
    Don't know how their battery life is, but I know when I went from my T-Mobile Dash to my first Android, I had to get used to a different battery life.
    01-17-2013 05:57 PM
    Oh sorry. I had a Palm Treo.
    Yeah... there's alot more going on in the Galaxy S3... so getting a day out of the S3 is actually pretty normal. I remember when I had my Blackberry I could stretch to nearly 3 days at times while still using it alot. But sadly that doesn't happen with the current generation of smartphones.
    Kelly Kearns and dee632 like this.
    01-17-2013 05:59 PM
    Yes the Treo had good battery life but would I go back...never. Love my S3.
    01-17-2013 07:12 PM
    Yes the Treo had good battery life but would I go back...never. Love my S3.
    After I got used to Androids, the S3 has GREAT battery life compared to the Android phones I've had in the past, so I'm thrilled with 18 plus hours
    01-17-2013 07:24 PM
    Lookout seems to be eating a bunch of the OP's battery.
    Lookout performs a weekly scan of all the stuff on your phone. It will use a couple % for that. Typically, it's not even in the list..it only kicks on when you install an app or when it hits it weekly time to scan.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    01-17-2013 07:57 PM
    Thank you Evil. I guess because it's a new phone I was worried about it, but after reading all these posts, I guess I'm pretty normal. That is a good thing!!! Now I can relax and enjoy my wonderful phone.
    Just one last thing I'd like to ask: How often do you reboot your phone? Sometimes if it's been running for a few days, apps can crash but leave some process hanging that makes the phone act weird or burn through the battery faster. Every once in a while, my wife comes to me and asks, "Why is my phone acting all weird? I won't do something all of a sudden." I'll ask, "When was the last time you restarted your phone?" Her answer is always, "...........(long pause).....I don't remember." After she restarts, the weird new problems go away.

If you don't already, I'd suggest restarting the phone every day or two. It might help with the number of apps running in the background. I have the mysterious plummet issue, so I routinely restart my phone when I get out of my car at work each morning. I generally don't get any random wonkiness unless I'm installing and/or uninstalling a bunch of apps.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    01-17-2013 08:03 PM
    Yes I noticed that Lookout scans apps when I install them. I haven't used it very long but I think I like it. I like the idea that it could find my phone if lost.
    01-17-2013 08:04 PM
    I shut my phone off every night when I go to bed and start it up in the morning. Is that what you mean?
    01-17-2013 08:06 PM
    Yes I noticed that Lookout scans apps when I install them. I haven't used it very long but I think I like it. I like the idea that it could find my phone if lost.
    I shut my phone off every night when I go to bed and start it up in the morning. Is that what you mean?
    I use Lookout for scanning apps and actually like the paid version of Wheres My Droid for locating my phone. It will GPS it down to the exact coordinates and I can message it from my computer or text it from another phone and if it is on silent or down low, make it start ringing with a special tone, vibrating, the flash will flash, for 10 minutes straight.

I never cut my phone off at night, really don't ever cut my off, just do a reboot every couple of days.
    01-17-2013 08:45 PM
    Yes, it's an excellent app. You're better off with it than without it.

Yes, that counts. I just asked because some people will go two weeks without restarting and wonder why the phone is suddenly doing weird things.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    01-17-2013 08:46 PM
    You can also wipe your phone or lock it with Wheres My Droid and make it take a picture (with either camera) and you can have it online if someone has your phone.
    KreepyKen likes this.
    01-17-2013 08:47 PM
    You can also wipe your phone or lock it with Wheres My Droid and make it take a picture (with either camera) and you can have it online if someone has your phone.
    Yeah, WMD also allows you to trigger events (starting a siren, lock or wipe phone, etc.) by using text messages.

Another option is Plan B by the makers of Lookout. You can install the app on your phone AFTER someone steals it (by pushing the install from the Google Play web site on your computer).
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    01-17-2013 09:05 PM
    Yeah, WMD also allows you to trigger events (starting a siren, lock or wipe phone, etc.) by using text messages.

Another option is Plan B by the makers of Lookout. You can install the app on your phone AFTER someone steals it (by pushing the install from the Google Play web site on your computer).
    Yeah I saw Plan B a while back. I've had WMD for a long time now, because I don't have a home phone and I'm forever not being able to find my phone at home lol.

I got the paid version so I could use a custom ringtone when I couldn't find it and got a very, very loud mp3 online for free. Used to I would text my phone from my email, but now they have that Commander and I can tip it there to set it off if I can't find it and do everything from another phone or the Commander if the phone was stolen. You can also set it up to call a specific number if someone removes the SIM or changes the SIM. I never set that up though.
    KreepyKen likes this.
    01-17-2013 09:11 PM
81 1234