In simple terms how can I....

dee632

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a new S3 from Metro PCS. Still on ICS. The battery life is horrible. I can see that there are lots of things running. I have tried using delete but they still seem to be there. Uninstall doesn't seem to work either. In simple terms how can I get these apps to stop running constantly and just sit somewhere else until I need them????

Livia.

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Settings > applications > choose the one you need > force closing (something like that, my phone is not in English).

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You should be careful about what you Force Close. While you won't break the phone, you can certainly cause it to crash or reboot by FC'ing the wrong thing. Also, you should not have to do this except in the abnormal event that an app is hung or hogging resources. You'll find even stopping processes, many of them will just start back up. It's how most operating systems work now, since there are lots of background processes going on to sync up data like mail or weather and stuff.

A better solution would be to post back with what you consider a "horrible" battery life to be (one man's horrible battery life is another's great batter life) and perhaps post a screenshot of your battery usage screen (Menu -> Settings -> Battery) so we can see what's using it.

There are many things that can contribute to battery life, including (but not limited to) how much you use the phone/display, what you're doing (videos/gaming/just checking Facebook) how bright it is, what you have enabled as far as radios (Bluetooth, GPS, mobile data, wi-fi, NFC, etc), what you have installed, how often you have apps or widgets or notifications pinging for data (like checking email or updating weather), etc.

Regardless, you shouldn't have to be in closing tasks and processes, at least not very often unless you have a problem with an app not functioning correctly (or it was just coded poorly).

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the first thing you should do is look at the Battery screen to see what is actually using up your battery.

dee632

May 10, 2012
Visit site
How do I take a screen shot of the battery? I have to charge the phone twice a day and I don't think I use it that much. I have my email checked every 30 mins. I have wifi and bluetooth shut off. I hardly ever play games, and rarely watch video. Brightness is set at automatic. Screen timeout is set at 2 mins.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How do I take a screen shot of the battery? I have to charge the phone twice a day and I don't think I use it that much. I have my email checked every 30 mins. I have wifi and bluetooth shut off. I hardly ever play games, and rarely watch video. Brightness is set at automatic. Screen timeout is set at 2 mins.

Load the battery screen on your phone... then take the edge of your hand and swype from the right side to the left side of your screen. That will take a screenshot.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Also... how long is your battery lasting? I see you have 70% of your battery left and you've already gone over 6.5 hours? That's actually pretty good.

What phone did you have before?

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Cell standby is using more than I've ever seen on mine. Poor cell reception?
In buildings a lot?
--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

dee632

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Lookout is for security purposes. I don't know of a better option? Avast?

I have poor cell reception. My last phone was a VZW S3. I was able to get out of my contract because they were able to determine I was in a bad reception area.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You may have answered your own question lol... you said you are in a poor coverage area...

Do you have LTE turned on? Phones can burn up a lot of battery when looking for signal.

Oh and I really don't think you need that anti virus stuff. That would save you even more battery.

Last edited:

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Your battery stats look fine to me. Seems like you have quite a few things running in the background (your taskbar looks quite full). Some of those applications could be eating at your battery, but I wouldn't say you have poor battery life judging by your screenshot. Check out the apps JuiceDefender or GreenPower Premium in the Play Store for an extra little boost.

Galaxy SIII - Thanks Appreciated!
My Podcast - http://cyberears.com/index.php/Show/audio/6030
My Blog - https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://bearpastarocketpop.blogspot.com/

dee632

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Seems like you have quite a few things running in the background (your taskbar looks quite full). Some of those applications could be eating at your battery, but I wouldn't say you have poor battery life judging by your screenshot.

That's what I was trying to ask originally. All those apps running in the background.......how do I stop them from running????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34