In simple terms how can I....

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Well it says you are on 4g so that has to be LTE and that consumes more juice than 3g. Also you don't need that anti virus.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Here are some instructions for another way, I have done this also. This post and screenshots are just a few posts down the thread.

Switching off LTE using the ServiceMode Menu

This is a variation on the *#2293# technique described by jeffrei here, but I couldn?t get it to work as described ? the phone would force a reboot whenever I popped the SIM card out while it was running and I gave up thinking I had failed. So I shut down the phone first, popped the SIM out and then rebooted without SIM, which allowed me to complete the process.

Here is my complete procedure to switch the phone off LTE and on to WCDMA:

1. Shut off phone and remove SIM

2. Boot phone without SIM

3. Dial *#2293# to get to the ServiceMode menu

4. Menu->Select->[enter ?2? for WCDMA Band Preference]5. Menu->Select->[enter ?6? for WCDMA ALL]

6. Optionally: Menu->Select->Back (to confirm that ?WCDMA Band Preference is *?d)

7. Menu->Select->END

8. Shut down and then reboot phone after reinserting SIM

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ttery-drain-6-per-hour-should-1-per-hour.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And I have to agree, just from the looks of your screenshot, not bad. I get about 18 hours on an average day.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Hope I did it right.

Actually, everything looks to be in order. You have 2 bars of signal strength, which means the phone has to work harder to communicate with the cell tower to compensate for the weak signal. That's why Cell Standby is at the top of that list.

And Lookout is not a problem, either. The atypically high rate in your screen shot is likely due to it just having performed its weekly scan of all apps and files on your phone. Keep in mind that the 11% it shows is 11% of the total 30% that has been drained. So Lookout is responsible for only 3.5% or so of your total drain. Perfectly normal if it's been running a scan. Note: if you see Lookout near the top of this list every day, then check its settings and make sure it's only set to scan on a weekly basis. If it is already set to weekly, then reboot the phone and it should go back to normal.) I'd keep it installed.

If you have wifi available at this location, connect to it (it may require you logging in with a browser, so just turning wifi on may not connect you to it). I connect to wifi at work, and after 9 hours, my battery is usually sitting between 78% and 80%. If I don't turn on wifi, my one bar of cell service leaves me with a battery at 30% to 40% at the end of the day. Huge difference.

If you don't have wifi at this location, I'd simply suggest getting a car charger and an extra wall charger and keep them handy for when the battery gets too low for comfort.

Otherwise, this really doesn't look that bad at all. You're burning about 4.5% an hour. Not horrible considering the 21% screen use and the weak cell signal.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually, everything looks to be in order. You have 2 bars of signal strength, which means the phone has to work harder to communicate with the cell tower to compensate for the weak signal. That's why Cell Standby is at the top of that list.

And I'm not sure why people are telling you to disable LTE. You're clearly not connected to LTE. The 4G means you're connected to HSPA+ for mobile data, which is more battery friendly than LTE. When you are connected to an LTE tower, that icon will actually have "LTE" in it to let you know. So don't worry about disabling LTE...that's not the problem here.

And Lookout is not a problem, either. The atypically high rate in your screen shot is likely due to it just having performed its weekly scan of all apps and files on your phone. Keep in mind that the 11% it shows is 11% of the total 30% that has been drained. So Lookout is responsible for only 3.5% or so of your total drain. Perfectly normal if it's been running a scan. Note: if you see Lookout near the top of this list every day, then check its settings and make sure it's only set to scan on a weekly basis. If it is already set to weekly, then reboot the phone and it should go back to normal.)

If you have wifi available at this location, connect to it (it may require you logging in with a browser, so just turning wifi on may not connect you to it). I connect to wifi at work, and after 9 hours, my battery is usually sitting between 78% and 80%. If I don't turn on wifi, my one bar of cell service leaves me with a battery at 30% to 40% at the end of the day. Huge difference.

If you don't have wifi at this location, I'd simply suggest getting a car charger and an extra wall charger and keep them handy for when the battery gets too low for comfort.

Otherwise, this really doesn't look that bad at all. You're burning about 4.5% an hour. Not horrible considering the 21% screen use and the weak cell signal.

Not always..I'm in strong LTE coverage, but am connecting to a tower far away and one of the problems is the LTE goes in and out and LTE doesn't always show. Since it's a far away tower my signal is low.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lookout is for security purposes. I don't know of a better option? Avast?

I have poor cell reception. My last phone was a VZW S3. I was able to get out of my contract because they were able to determine I was in a bad reception area.

I run Lookout, it doesn't eat my battery, been using it for a couple of years.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Not always..I'm in strong LTE coverage, but am connecting to a tower far away and one of the problems is the LTE goes in and out and LTE doesn't always show. Since it's a far away tower my signal is low.

Sorry about my LTE comment...I later deleted it, but you saw it before I caught my gaffe. I thought I was in the AT&T forum and didn't see the part about her being on Metro PCS. They are a CDMA network, so they don't have any HSPA. 3G = CDMA data; 4G = LTE.

The LTE could be contributing an extra drain on her battery, but I still suspect it has more to do with the low signal strength.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about my LTE comment...I later deleted it, but you saw it before I caught my gaffe. I thought I was in the AT&T forum and didn't see the part about her being on Metro PCS. They are a CDMA network, so they don't have any HSPA. 3G = CDMA data; 4G = LTE.

The LTE could be contributing an extra drain on her battery, but I still suspect it has more to do with the low signal strength.

Right, low signal strength, no matter the signal is, could do it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was trying to ask originally. All those apps running in the background.......how do I stop them from running????

Missed this...one thing you can do..click and hold the home key, it will pull up the task manager. There will be small windows of many things and at the bottom, you have (from left to right) a pie looking symbol, a google g and a trash can. click the trash can to close out all the small windows. Also, go to "settings" then "application manager" and then click on "running" and see what all it is listing as running and post that or do a screen shot and post that.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I can tell you, FOR ME, I have all of those "Samsung" things DISABLED, not just force closing them, including S-Voice, but I use the Google Now search instead of S-Voice. I use Yahoo News, if you don't, it won't hurt to disable that. No idea what "joyn" is or Onavo Extend, I even have Maps disabled, cause I never use it. I also have S-Suggest disabled because I never use it. You can disable in the same place you "force close". If there isn't a disable option there, it will be a "uninstall updates" option and you do that and then go back and disable option will show up. BUT..I have almost as many as you running and most of mine are bigger.

Ok, you are showing 3G on your phone and your signal is good in all the screenshots but one. How many hours a day are you getting out of a charge?

dee632

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I would say I get about 10 hours from a charge. BTW, I want to thank everyone for the help. I have learned some things.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
This is mine right now, but I have been online for at least 3 if the hours I have been in battery.

The 2nd shot with 20 hours, was a kind of light day.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358396345981.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358396345981.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 6
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358396457704.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358396457704.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 6