Battery issue. Help!

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
On my s 3 my battery is charging overnight but when it gets full it starts discharging instead of staying at 100 until unplugged? So by the time I wake up its on 70? How can this be resolved?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Don't start with a factory reset. Look at the battery stats and see what's actually using your battery. Post a screen shot here so we can see it.

In the application manager, see what apps are running. You might want to post a screen shot here of that, too. Are you using the OEM charger and cable? Do you have another charger and/or cable you can try?

Let's try to figure out what is actually causing the problem before nuking it, so you can try to keep it from happening again.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't sound like a problem of "what's killing my battery?" It sounds like it stops charging, which is probably a hardware issue...either the battery, the charger, or the phone.

Try a different charger. If it still does it, try a different battery. If it still does it, return the phone.

FYI, the way charging works is that once the battery hits 100%, charging stops to prevent the battery from overcharging and starting a fire. It will drain according to background tasks and communication with the tower and/or wifi. Once the battery hits a certain point...usually around 95%...it starts charging again until it hits 100% and then shuts off again. If the charger kept charging after the battery hit 100%, the battery would heat up, melt, and start a fire.

Seems that your phone is not picking back up at the 95% mark. Are you running a custom ROM? If not, I think this is a problem with either the charger or the phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'll tell you what I recently found. The charger that came with my phone was taking forever to charge and a couple of times when the battery was low and I was doing something and plugged it up, the phone went dead, it was discharging faster than recharging. I tried my old Galaxy S charger, worked much better, then just tried the Galaxy S cord in the new plug, worked great. Tried the new cord in the Galaxy S plug, same problem. I took my new charger to one of the actual AT&T stores, they traded it out and gave me a new one, now it charges like it should, doesn't take 10 hours or more to get a full charge.

Last edited:

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you what I recently found. The charger that came with my phone was taking forever to charge and a couple of times when the battery was low and I was doing something and plugged it up, the phone went dead, it was discharging faster than recharging. I tried my old Galaxy S charger, worked much better, then just tried the Galaxy S cord in the new plug, worked great. Tried the new cord in the Galaxy S plug, same problem. I took my new plug to one of the actual AT&T stores, they traded it out and gave me a new one, now it charges like it should, doesn't that 10 hours or more to get a full charge.

Wow...yeah, sounds like a real loser of a charger. I've been lucky, both the charger that came with the phone and the car charger that came with my car dock (both Samsung OEM) charge my phone quickly. If I need a REALLY quick charge, I'll use the 1.8-Amp charger from my Nexus 7. :D

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow...yeah, sounds like a real loser of a charger. I've been lucky, both the charger that came with the phone and the car charger that came with my car dock (both Samsung OEM) charge my phone quickly. If I need a REALLY quick charge, I'll use the 1.8-Amp charger from my Nexus 7. :D

It was the charger that came in the box, but didn't look like the newest charger. There had also been people talking about their phone taking forever to charge and tried a different charger and it worked. I started wondering if AT&T put the wrong chargers in a few of the boxes. Mine didn't have the smaller plug on the end, it was a larger one.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

The phone won't draw more than about 800ma when charging no matter what charger you plug it into.