Disable sensors save battery

S3Wizard

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys, battery is the #1 concern when it comes to the galaxy ..
I want to know if it is possible to disable all sensors in the phone, yes it might sounds strange but its the only thing eating up my battery ...

PLEASE HELP :)

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
If you turn off all sensors, what's the point of having the phone? Just get a Nexus 7 and turn off wifi.

Here are the typically largest battery drains with the GS3 and how to address them:
  1. Poor signal (either 3G or 4G) will destroy your battery usage. The phone sits there, cranking away, trying to connect to a tower. If you are in a low-coverage area, you can either connect to a local wifi (if available) or turn off mobile data.
  2. Screen: If you're using your phone a great deal, then the screen will be the biggest battery eater. Turn the brighness all the way down.
  3. Google Maps/GPS: Not everyone has this issue, but once in a while if your gps is on, Google maps starts running all sorts of tasks in the background?probably location services stuff. Keep the GPS turned off unless you're using it.
  4. The Plummet: A periodic bug that has hit a handful of people. Seems to happen when wifi is on and you're in an LTE area. My best guess is that the phone freaks out and can't decide which network (LTE or wifi) to use. If you suffer from this, you'll notice at some point in your day the smooth decline of the battery suddenly gets steeper and doesn't slow down. I have had luck with simply rebooting my phone when I get to the LTE area (for me, that's work). In addition to the sharp decline in battery, the plummet always sees Android System rise way up the battery list.
  5. Games: With the combination of using the screen, using the GPU, and playing processor-intensive games, your battery will drain pretty fast. No way around it except to not play those games.

In addition to these measures, I'd suggest investing in one or both of these:
Spare battery & charger kit (I have this and freaking LOVE it)
Extended Battery (should be available any day now, part # EB-K1G6UBUGSTD)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If you turn off all sensors, what's the point of having the phone? Just get a Nexus 7 and turn off wifi.

[*]Google Maps/GPS: Not everyone has this issue, but once in a while if your gps is on, Google maps starts running all sorts of tasks in the background?probably location services stuff. Keep the GPS turned off unless you're using it.

You can also turn off location services, rather than the GPS. I leave my GPS on, so it's there when I need it, but have most location services turned off.

A question, though: what kind of battery life are you getting? What do you consider "good" and "bad."

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
You can also turn off location services, rather than the GPS. I leave my GPS on, so it's there when I need it, but have most location services turned off.

A question, though: what kind of battery life are you getting? What do you consider "good" and "bad."

Well, when I'm at work, I connect to wifi because AT&T's signal strength is crap in my building. I check for email or messages a few times a day, maybe cruise twitter during lunch. The battery drains about 2.5% an hour for me. It's routinely at 80% when I walk out to my car. (If wifi is down or I forget to connect it in the morning, my battery is about 30% to 40% after 9 hours...horrible LTE coverage kills it) I usually plug the phone in when I get in the car and listen to podcasts on my commute home, so it's always back to a full charge when I get home.

I don't pay much attention to battery drain at home because there's no way I could go from 100% to dead in the few hours before I climb into bed. I always plug it into the charger when I go to bed, plus I have spare chargers all over the house and a spare battery by the bed, too.

If I'm out and about, my battery life can vary drastically. I live in a rural area, so coverage isn't always good. My battery can burn 15% an hour with two bars, 20% an hour with one bar of service.

Scott Carswell

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I too, would like to disable some sensors. The useless ones. All these clowns saying what's the point or why would u want to. Probably dont know about the sensors we're talking about. They're newbies.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated.

Sent from my SGSIII

Last edited:

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I too, would like to disable some sensors. The useless ones. All these clowns saying what's the point or why would u want to. Probably dont know about the sensors we're talking about. They're newbies.
Just wondering at what point people stop being "newbies". You show as having 1 post.

Gareth Jones

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
The s4 has a insane array of sensors I really don't want to list but many I don't need all the time such as temp humidity ect. But mainly its when am running low on power and cannot charge I love to turn them all off

scarswell

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
What's funny? 1 post because I only signed up for this question alone, I don't need to be a part of this website, or these forums. I'm smart enough to not have to be a member of this site, otherwise.
*** Clowns

scolari9

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Weren't there some sensors for flipping a phone for turning on speaker which supposedly you could turn off to save some battery? On my old HTC I knew there were a few solutions about that...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power