Why are people so interested in wireless charging?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't see why or what makes that feature so interesting,I mean, don't to have to charge it for it to charge your device? And doesn't your device have to sit inside the charging dock for it to charge?

Or maybe I'm misinformed ,idk. I mean its not like you can have your device across the room and actually charge it wirelessly ,so in short, i really don't find the feature innovative or anything worth extra money

How do you guys feel about it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't see why or what makes that feature so interesting,I mean, don't to have to charge it for it to charge your device? And doesn't your device have to sit inside the charging dock for it to charge?

Or maybe I'm misinformed ,idk. I mean its not like you can have your device across the room and actually charge it wirelessly ,so in short, i really don't find the feature innovative or anything worth extra money

How do you guys feel about it?

It'll be more compelling when you have furniture acting as the mats or true wireless charging where you can just walk into a room and your phone starts charging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
It'll be more compelling when you have furniture acting as the mats or true wireless charging where you can just walk into a room and your phone starts charging.

That sounds like a beautiful future

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the charger itself is more like a mat that plugs into the wall (AC or USB powered), and you just plop your phone down on it and it starts charging immediately. I'd much prefer that as opposed to fiddling around with wires and wearing out the USB port on my phone.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
So don't buy one?

I have no intention to, probably don't even make them for this phone either, and I have a different battery and back cover
Just IMO, I'd rather be able to use my stock USB cable with my portable juice pack and be able to charge as well as use my device without having to have it sit in a dock

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

With the idea of wireless charging becoming more popular, you will see more and more charging options as long as they all follow certain standards.

Right now, some of the major OEMs that are incorporating it use standards set by Qi, a company that is trying to get wireless charging off the ground.

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 that incorporates wireless charging through a baseplate from Nokia. I just set the phone on the plate and it charges. Nokia also has a portable speaker device that has a mat on top and when the phone is laid on top of it, the phone charges as well as pairs to the speaker for listening. Messing with the wire can be a hassle sometimes. I do, however, plug in the phone if I am at work or in my vehicle if I need to top off the battery.

If there were charging plates in more places, it would be great.

As for true wireless charging where the device charges when walking in a room. I don't see that happening anytime soon. For one, the sheer amount of power on the radio wave would cook you and everything around you just to charge the phone.

I think I'll stick with a charging plate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Is this the same as what the blackberry bolds had a few years ago. I know you could just place them on these pads that touched on these two silver metal parts on the back and its been around for a while now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The benefit is that you don't have to keep plugging your phone in and out all the time.

So don't buy one?

He most likely won't but this is a discussion forum so he is asking for people's opinions. Don't get all pissy because he doesn't agree with you. He even said IMO a.k.a "in my opinion".

Anyway OP I agree. Once you can walk around (like the 2nd poster said) then I'd love it.. Otherwise... I'll stick to my chargers :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a great idea but I would rather spend my money on other things unless manufacturers start including them in the box with USB adaptor and plugs.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I can definitely see the use and convenience of wireless charging for my S3. With a modified back off eBay and a Palm Touchstone charger base you can just set your S3 on the base and magnets hold it secure for charging. For someone like me who picks their S3 up a few hundred times a day this is the ticket.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
But every few hours, you have to charge your charger, lol, as a portable charger user, I personally find it inefficient

No, they are powered off of AC. You set them on a stand, plug that in, then just toss your phone on them to charge. I do have a portable charger that I charge and carry camping and it will recharge my S3 about 5 times for when I am camping away from AC power. It still attaches to the S3 with a USB cable and charges using a cable.

The pros are that that are a touch quicker and convenient if you are on/off charge through the day , they don't wear out the USB plug, and they have a 'cool' factor.
The cons are that they are inefficient (takes a lot more power in then you get out) and you can't move the phone. (I plug mine in, read the news while charging, then lay it on the stand to keep charging)

And no, I doubt anyone will attempt to make it so you can move around the room and charge. Read up on Tesla. Great idea, but goofy none the less. It takes huge amounts of power, then there is the problem with living in an EMI field. :eek:

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a great idea but I would rather spend my money on other things unless manufacturers start including them in the box with USB adaptor and plugs.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

I agree with this,if it was standard,sure, but I don't think I could or would consider paying for this at the moment

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus :(

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree with this,if it was standard,sure, but I don't think I could or would consider paying for this at the moment
(

This. I get good enough battery life that I rarely need to plug in more than once during the day, so it's not as if it's a great inconvenience. About the only time I really feel the need to charge during the day is when I'm actually using the phone heavily: using navigation in the car, listening to Pandora (or both at the same time), and a charging pad won't really help in the car when navigating.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've said this before about wireless charging - Don't knock it till you've tried it.

No this isn't on the same personal level as internal plumbing, refrigeration or air conditioning; but you can't fully appreciate the added simplicity of just setting your phone down and having it start charging, until you have used it for a period of time.

It's small, but after having used a touchstone/pre+ for a year or so, going back to plugging mUSB connectors in and out was a real disappointment.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
This. I get good enough battery life that I rarely need to plug in more than once during the day, so it's not as if it's a great inconvenience. About the only time I really feel the need to charge during the day is when I'm actually using the phone heavily: using navigation in the car, listening to Pandora (or both at the same time), and a charging pad won't really help in the car when navigating.

In the webOS forums, back in the day, people used to show how they mounted touchstones in their car all the time. Just set the phone on the touchstone and navigation automatically loaded up, etc.

-Suntan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon