Why are people so interested in wireless charging?

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I am interested in it since I had bad connector errors (USB plug-in errors) with my previous phone. They told me it was caused by damage to the USB contact pins. I charge during the day since I am a power user. So, by using a wireless charging system, I will avoid damaging or wear-off of the USB pins.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
^^ Ditto. I don't know how many USB ports I've had to have repaired on previous phones, but it's probably in the neighborhood of a half-dozen over the years, and I frequently just have to buy an extra battery and charger for it since the USB port no longer charges the phone.

Plus, at work and in the car and at home, I have the USB cable kindof all over the place....if I just had charging mats (that you just place and don't have to every move), it would keep a clean look rather than having a USB cord dangling hapharzardly all over the place.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My only problem with wireless chargers is the fact that you cant use your case in most instances which sucks. Other than that it's awesome

nDroid3

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My only problem with wireless chargers is the fact that you cant use your case in most instances which sucks. Other than that it's awesome

The Nokia charging plate has worked with all the cases I've had with my DNA. a lot of my friends who have cases on their wireless charging capable phones have the same experience.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

nDroid3

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
^^ Ditto. I don't know how many USB ports I've had to have repaired on previous phones, but it's probably in the neighborhood of a half-dozen over the years, and I frequently just have to buy an extra battery and charger for it since the USB port no longer charges the phone.

Plus, at work and in the car and at home, I have the USB cable kindof all over the place....if I just had charging mats (that you just place and don't have to every move), it would keep a clean look rather than having a USB cord dangling hapharzardly all over the place.

I have one for my office and it does help that I can just grab and go once I have meetings and then just drop it back in the plate when I get back.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

I think the new technologies have overcome that issue. The S4 most likely make use of it. I am on an extended battery from Seidio with NFC. They didn't have an NFC extended battery before, but eventually they manufactured one. Like NFC, the case manufactures will take note of the wireless charging and integrate it in to the case.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

But your charging mat still needs a cord to connect it to an AC outlet. It's not like you can just toss it down anywhere and have it work.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a gimmick designed to make people spend money and it also encourages wasting energy because the charging pad is always plugged in even when not being used.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
But your charging mat still needs a cord to connect it to an AC outlet. It's not like you can just toss it down anywhere and have it work.

I know. My point was that I would place the mat, hide the cord, and never mess with it again. I would just become a "permanent" fixture. Rather than how it is now where I have my USB cable plugged in and the cord just happens to fall wherever I drop it after unplugging the phone. I have 3 charging cables: the one in the kitchen usually ends up stretching from the outlet and across the kitchen counter with the end dangling in front of the silverware drawer, while the one by my bed usually ends up falling behind the nightstand and the one at work just adds to the cable mess I have on my desk.

The mat would be like a lamp or anything else that I put on the counter, plug in, hide/conceal the cable the best I can, and then you're done (as long as you don't have to relocate the mat somewhere else). I'd put one mat on the kitchen counter, one on the nightstand by my bed, and one on my desk at work. Would be nice and clean for me.

But to each their own. Some don't see the point, but I'd love it.

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Is this the same as what the blackberry bolds had a few years ago. I know you could just place them on these pads that touched on these two silver metal parts on the back and its been around for a while now.

Its completely different on other phones like the droid DNA. You simply place the phone on the pad or stand and it starts charging. No metal contacts no special back. It even works even through a case.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I could see "wireless charging" that could be useful in public places if they had mats, etc. Many places still have the tables in their lobby that have several AC outlets so you can plug up your laptop or your phone. It would be nice for a business to have something like that where you could just place your phone on the table, etc to charge it.

For home, unless like was said, I could just walk in the room, not interested really. There are many times while mine is charging I'm doing things, so having to leave it docked or laying down to charge isn't something I would be interested in.

Now, one of the good things about the mat is that if someone is at your home or you are at their home and they have one, and you don't have your charger, no problem having to see if there is a charger that will fit your phone.

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Its completely different on other phones like the droid DNA. You simply place the phone on the pad or stand and it starts charging. No metal contacts no special back. It even works even through a case.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ah ok.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I know. My point was that I would place the mat, hide the cord, and never mess with it again. I would just become a "permanent" fixture. Rather than how it is now where I have my USB cable plugged in and the cord just happens to fall wherever I drop it after unplugging the phone.

That's how I had it at my office. A touchstone mounted next to the monitor. When streaming music to a BT headset the whole day, just set the phone on and then you can control/change songs as needed. The phone stayed in one place and was angled nicely for good viewing.

Now I've got a USB cord that janks back and forth around my desk. Not nearly as elegant.

-Suntan

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a gimmick designed to make people spend money and it also encourages wasting energy because the charging pad is always plugged in even when not being used.

Kind of like saying you're wasting water because it's always turned on to your kitchen faucet. You only use water when you turn on the tap. It's the same with chargers, whether they be USB or a charging mat. There is some insignificant drain just from having any charger plugged in, but until you connect something at the other end you're not really using any energy. If you leave your USB charger plugged in or not plugged in for an entire year, I doubt you would see any difference in your overall power bill.

If it's a gimmick, then it's a very handy gimmick and I'd buy one.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Kind of like saying you're wasting water because it's always turned on to your kitchen faucet. You only use water when you turn on the tap. It's the same with chargers, whether they be USB or a charging mat. There is some insignificant drain just from having any charger plugged in, but until you connect something at the other end you're not really using any energy. If you leave your USB charger plugged in or not plugged in for an entire year, I doubt you would see any difference in your overall power bill.

If it's a gimmick, then it's a very handy gimmick and I'd buy one.

Your analogy is completely wrong. It's called Vampire Power.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
No huh... sometimes my kitchen faucet leaks a little, even if I replace those little round rubber thingies, so there is a cost associated with leaving the water on and ready to use when I want it. And the dang toilet, once in a while the handle sticks and it runs a while until you go jiggle it. I did say that There is some insignificant drain just from having any charger plugged in (usually about 0.2W).

So yes, there is phantom power loss, but no, I'm not going to stress over it.

And I liked the anology.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
And I liked the anology.[/COLOR]

You may like the analogy but that doesn't make it apt. You're describing the occasional malfunction of a faucet and toilet and comparing it to the standard operation of an electronics charger. One is an occasional, unintended occurrence, the other is steady, constant and intended. When plunging in a charger you know it will leak power all the time; not so when you install a new faucet or toilet; in fact, the hope and expectation is that the new toilet and faucet will not leak water.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Im not interested in the slightest bro.
Id need pads or whatever theyre called all over my house lol.
Also as i dont use a computer, my phone is either plugged in and being used, in my pocket, or under my pillow with a charger stuck in its butt :)

quadcore 1gb GS3, Neat Rom by Salesale, aroma v1.5A. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer: